HI Washington DC Hostel
$217
  • Restaurant
Omni Shoreham Hotel(Washington DC)
$188
  • Restaurant
Capitol Hill Hotel(Washington DC)
$359
$323
  • Breakfast included
$323
$305
  • Pool
Washington Court Hotel(Washington DC)
$409
  • Room Service
Fairmont Washington, D.C. Georgetown(Washington DC)
$383
  • Restaurant
The Dupont Circle(Washington DC)
$404
$365
$332
Priceline
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbunk bedsfree breakfastfree activitiesfemale dormcommon roomfree earplugstop bunkgreat locationwhite housecommunal areasshared bathroomdorm roomluggage storagekey cardmetro center stationnational mallsafe area
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Although it might be better to use the Metro where possible, this hostel is in good proximity to the monuments. The place itself had a great information area and social lounge, and the rooms were very basic. I wasn't a fan of the curtain-only communal showers, but it wasn't a big problem. I'd recommend a stay here. I met a few good friends who would say the same thing.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Mark-GM, General Manager at HI Washington DC Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

George K: Thanks for the nice note and comments! It's so nice to read that you made new friends here. That's why we do what we do.

Good news on the shower area: We're adding changing areas for 2 out of the 3 showers in each bathroom (we'd do all of them, but there just isn't room). One caveat is that the changing areas will have curtains, as well. At least you'll have a separate changing area, though! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

The HI in Washington was my second experience staying at a HI hostel and I was slightly disappointed. While the location is convenient to the Metro, most notable museums and Pennsylvania Ave, the accommodations themselves are unimpressive. There is one elevator in the entire building, old and slow. The wifi is only on the first and second floors, so the signal barely reaches any of the dorms. That might be fine if the common areas weren't always crowded with people clamoring for network signal and wall outlets. Oh, what to say about the outlets. I have never been to a place with such a shortage of working plugs. In the rooms, only the bottom bunks have access to plugs while those in upper bunks had to scrounge for whatever plug one can find in the room to charge phones, cameras etc. Perhaps I'm spoiled having stayed in places with wall outlets at both top and bottom bunk to address this very problem. The hostel should really look into at least replacing the damaged outlets.

Otherwise the staff were helpful, the place was spotlessly clean considering the sheer number of people it was accommodating, and I would likely stay there again whenever I'm back in the area because it is good value for the location.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank SK K

SK K: All of your comments are right on. Of course, I preferred all of the nice things you said at the end. Truthfully though, the outlets are a problem. I so glad you mentioned them because now I get to tell you about what we're doing. We ordered these snazzy bed lamps for each bed that are a 3-in-1 type deal. The bed lamp is, of course, a reading light. It's flat on top, so that it can be used as a shelf for glasses, room key, mobile phone, etc. -- but not big enough for a laptop. Here's the cool part...wait for it...the unit has 2 outlets on it for charging your stuff or using your laptop in the rack.

I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised about the lack of outlets on the 1st Floor. They're everywhere. We wired up banks of them along the walls behind the couches and in the Library. I'll have my team check on the functionality of any faulty plugs. Thanks for the heads-up!

Wi-Fi in the rooms is an iffy one. I hear comments fairly regularly about hostellers wanting signals in the rooms. On the flip side, I also hear (and read) complaints about hostels that have Wi-Fi in the rooms, but it's a disturbance with clicking (and video chat) for those who want to sleep. It's not a problem to put in the Wi-Fi, but the primary function of the rooms is for sleeping, regardless of the time of day. There are already challenges to sleeping in a shared space, and I'm hesitant to add to the difficulty. Anyway, that's my dilemma. Thanks for writing!

~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Reviewed August 31, 2012

This was my first stay at a Hostel. I chose the PERFECT one! It is located 6 blocks from the Whitehouse and close to other attractions.

A bus stop is just outside the building; the metro rail is 5 blocks away. Chinatown is close. YOu can WALK everywhere you need to go!

The free breakfast is as good as any hotel (5 brands of cereal, toast, oatmeal, bagels, fresh fruit, coffee, and juice); fresh fruit is available throughout the day, too.

Rooms are quaint; good security. Bathrooms are down the hall and stocked with soap/shampoo.

Staff was helpful and informative.

I will definately stay there, again!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on a lower floor. It is very HUMID in DC and the room a/c on upper floors does not always cool the room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank MysticGrayStar_2

MysticGreyStar_2: Thanks for sharing your wonderful experiences at HI-DC, and the great scores! Please do come again! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Reviewed August 30, 2012

This hostel is in a great location. Just minutes away for the metro and steps away from the white house, Washington monument, Lincoln memorial and the reflecting pool.
Breakfast was good enough to start the say and the staff friendly. I would stay here again as it is a bit costly in the city.

• Stayed: August 2012

Out C: Yes, our location is a great one. We would be psyched to have you return! Thank you for your note! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed at HI in Washington DC for 2 night. The staffs are very friendly. I love the breakfast that has many choice. It was the first time that I stay at a hostel. Also, it was the first time that I stay in a mix gender room. I was impress. The room is clean.They have different activities every night. I also love the breakfast time, the staff there will find you a friend. No body will feel boring during the breakfast. I have very good time at HI. 40/night is a good deal. The location is very good that I can walk to all the museums.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Aisha299: We're so proud to have been your hosts for your first hostel experience! And in a mixed room, no less. Wow! You are adventurous! I'm so glad you had a pleasant stay and that breakfast made it easy for you to meet people. John is gifted at making introductions. Also, it's nice to read that you were able to take part in our activities. Our volunteers are the best! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager