“Within walking distance of the monuments”

HI Washington DC Hostel
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Although it might be better to use the Metro where possible, this hostel is in good proximity to the monuments. The place itself had a great information area and social lounge, and the rooms were very basic. I wasn't a fan of the curtain-only communal showers, but it wasn't a big problem. I'd recommend a stay here. I met a few good friends who would say the same thing.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Mark-GM, General Manager at HI Washington DC Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

George K: Thanks for the nice note and comments! It's so nice to read that you made new friends here. That's why we do what we do.

Good news on the shower area: We're adding changing areas for 2 out of the 3 showers in each bathroom (we'd do all of them, but there just isn't room). One caveat is that the changing areas will have curtains, as well. At least you'll have a separate changing area, though! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

The HI in Washington was my second experience staying at a HI hostel and I was slightly disappointed. While the location is convenient to the Metro, most notable museums and Pennsylvania Ave, the accommodations themselves are unimpressive. There is one elevator in the entire building, old and slow. The wifi is only on the first and second floors, so the signal barely reaches any of the dorms. That might be fine if the common areas weren't always crowded with people clamoring for network signal and wall outlets. Oh, what to say about the outlets. I have never been to a place with such a shortage of working plugs. In the rooms, only the bottom bunks have access to plugs while those in upper bunks had to scrounge for whatever plug one can find in the room to charge phones, cameras etc. Perhaps I'm spoiled having stayed in places with wall outlets at both top and bottom bunk to address this very problem. The hostel should really look into at least replacing the damaged outlets.

Otherwise the staff were helpful, the place was spotlessly clean considering the sheer number of people it was accommodating, and I would likely stay there again whenever I'm back in the area because it is good value for the location.

1  Thank SK K

SK K: All of your comments are right on. Of course, I preferred all of the nice things you said at the end. Truthfully though, the outlets are a problem. I so glad you mentioned them because now I get to tell you about what we're doing. We ordered these snazzy bed lamps for each bed that are a 3-in-1 type deal. The bed lamp is, of course, a reading light. It's flat on top, so that it can be used as a shelf for glasses, room key, mobile phone, etc. -- but not big enough for a laptop. Here's the cool part...wait for it...the unit has 2 outlets on it for charging your stuff or using your laptop in the rack.

I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised about the lack of outlets on the 1st Floor. They're everywhere. We wired up banks of them along the walls behind the couches and in the Library. I'll have my team check on the functionality of any faulty plugs. Thanks for the heads-up!

Wi-Fi in the rooms is an iffy one. I hear comments fairly regularly about hostellers wanting signals in the rooms. On the flip side, I also hear (and read) complaints about hostels that have Wi-Fi in the rooms, but it's a disturbance with clicking (and video chat) for those who want to sleep. It's not a problem to put in the Wi-Fi, but the primary function of the rooms is for sleeping, regardless of the time of day. There are already challenges to sleeping in a shared space, and I'm hesitant to add to the difficulty. Anyway, that's my dilemma. Thanks for writing!

~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Reviewed August 31, 2012

This was my first stay at a Hostel. I chose the PERFECT one! It is located 6 blocks from the Whitehouse and close to other attractions.

A bus stop is just outside the building; the metro rail is 5 blocks away. Chinatown is close. YOu can WALK everywhere you need to go!

The free breakfast is as good as any hotel (5 brands of cereal, toast, oatmeal, bagels, fresh fruit, coffee, and juice); fresh fruit is available throughout the day, too.

Rooms are quaint; good security. Bathrooms are down the hall and stocked with soap/shampoo.

Staff was helpful and informative.

I will definately stay there, again!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on a lower floor. It is very HUMID in DC and the room a/c on upper floors does not al...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank MysticGrayStar_2

MysticGreyStar_2: Thanks for sharing your wonderful experiences at HI-DC, and the great scores! Please do come again! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Reviewed August 30, 2012

This hostel is in a great location. Just minutes away for the metro and steps away from the white house, Washington monument, Lincoln memorial and the reflecting pool.
Breakfast was good enough to start the say and the staff friendly. I would stay here again as it is a bit costly in the city.

• Stayed: August 2012

Out C: Yes, our location is a great one. We would be psyched to have you return! Thank you for your note! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed at HI in Washington DC for 2 night. The staffs are very friendly. I love the breakfast that has many choice. It was the first time that I stay at a hostel. Also, it was the first time that I stay in a mix gender room. I was impress. The room is clean.They have different activities every night. I also love the breakfast time, the staff there will find you a friend. No body will feel boring during the breakfast. I have very good time at HI. 40/night is a good deal. The location is very good that I can walk to all the museums.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Aisha299: We're so proud to have been your hosts for your first hostel experience! And in a mixed room, no less. Wow! You are adventurous! I'm so glad you had a pleasant stay and that breakfast made it easy for you to meet people. John is gifted at making introductions. Also, it's nice to read that you were able to take part in our activities. Our volunteers are the best! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed at the HI in Washington DC for three nights and everything about the hostel I loved. The staff at the front desk were so lovely, I arrived with my friend before check in time but they still let us into our room but told us the cleaning staff still had to finish in there. We were staying in a private room, it was a lovely big room, double bed on the bottom bunk and a single on the top. There are decent sized lockers in the room (bring your own locks) and there was an alarm clock music player that plugged into an ipod. The location is amazing, within a ten minute walk of the White House and that part of DC, when I arrived the hostel gave us a map of the local area and it listed all of the nearby shops, restaurants, bars, museums, attractions and everything that you need to know. There are tours on constantly going to different places around the city. The hostel itself feels really homely, it isn't a massive place but that makes it easier to just start chatting to people and get to know everyone. The breakfast was free and really good! There was cereal, bagels, muffins, fruit, tea, coffee and juice so plenty! The guy who runs the breakfast is really nice and makes you say good morning in a language other than English and gets everyone chatting, talking and getting to know each other. I just loved this hostel so much! Everyone was so nice and helpful, I would stay here whenever I'm in Washington DC!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Jayme-Lee: Such a heart-warming story! Thank you so much for sharing. Sounds like you took advantage of everything we have to offer. Yeah! We hope you and your friend do return...and stay for a week! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed 2 nights and arriving just before 7pm thought I'd be perfectly timed for the night's activities - wrong, they had a pizza night at 6pm which was finished, and that was it. The next day had a "night time" monument tour which left at 6:30pm when it's broad daylight in DC during summer. They definitely need to offer more activities and a bar night or 2 wouldn't go astray. The staff were mostly good, but a few of the reception staff seemed scattered and disinterested a lot of the time.

The rooms are OK but it's definitely not worth paying the extra for a "premium" dorm, it just has less beds. The blind in my room was broken and so it was quite bright depending on which bed you were in.

Undoubtedly the worst part of my stay though was the group booking they had allowed of about 8 adults and 25 kids from Nigeria. Every time I went in or out of the hostel they were occupying the common room, using the pool table, or riding up and down in the one incredibly old, incredibly slow eleveator. It took literally 30 minutes to get down 3 levels and up again one morning.

• Stayed: August 2012

travellerbrisbane123: I am so sorry that you had such a challenging stay. To be completely forthright, there were issues with that group. 99% of the time, it's all fine with groups, but this one group was a challenge for many people. Again, I apologize about the all of that. Also, you are right that our elevator, "Suzie," is very slow. Children riding up and down in it all night certainly wouldn't speed up the experience.

It is true that the primary benefit of the Premium Dorm is that there are fewer beds. We have rooms with 4, 6, 8, and 10 beds (and Private Rooms). More beds = lower price. Also, the Premium Dorms have upgraded blankets with duvets. It sounds like you might prefer the lower price and have more people in the room. No problem! I like that we can offer different price points for different preferences.

On the activities front, we do offer activities daily, including pub crawls. Usually, we have 2 or 3 pub crawls per week. I really sorry that the timing didn't work out for you to be able to go on one of them. It's a great way to meet people. I hope you're able to return to us and have a fantastic experience. Thank you for telling me about your stay.

~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager