“Great value!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Kidder, MO
“Great value!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

This was my first stay at a Hostel. I chose the PERFECT one! It is located 6 blocks from the Whitehouse and close to other attractions.

A bus stop is just outside the building; the metro rail is 5 blocks away. Chinatown is close. YOu can WALK everywhere you need to go!

The free breakfast is as good as any hotel (5 brands of cereal, toast, oatmeal, bagels, fresh fruit, coffee, and juice); fresh fruit is available throughout the day, too.

Rooms are quaint; good security. Bathrooms are down the hall and stocked with soap/shampoo.

Staff was helpful and informative.

I will definately stay there, again!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on a lower floor. It is very HUMID in DC and the room a/c on upper floors does not al...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank MysticGrayStar_2
Mark-GM, General Manager at HI Washington DC Hostel, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
MysticGreyStar_2: Thanks for sharing your wonderful experiences at HI-DC, and the great scores! Please do come again! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

This hostel is in a great location. Just minutes away for the metro and steps away from the white house, Washington monument, Lincoln memorial and the reflecting pool.
Breakfast was good enough to start the say and the staff friendly. I would stay here again as it is a bit costly in the city.

• Stayed August 2012
Out C: Yes, our location is a great one. We would be psyched to have you return! Thank you for your note! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed at HI in Washington DC for 2 night. The staffs are very friendly. I love the breakfast that has many choice. It was the first time that I stay at a hostel. Also, it was the first time that I stay in a mix gender room. I was impress. The room is clean.They have different activities every night. I also love the breakfast time, the staff there will find you a friend. No body will feel boring during the breakfast. I have very good time at HI. 40/night is a good deal. The location is very good that I can walk to all the museums.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Aisha299: We're so proud to have been your hosts for your first hostel experience! And in a mixed room, no less. Wow! You are adventurous! I'm so glad you had a pleasant stay and that breakfast made it easy for you to meet people. John is gifted at making introductions. Also, it's nice to read that you were able to take part in our activities. Our volunteers are the best! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed at the HI in Washington DC for three nights and everything about the hostel I loved. The staff at the front desk were so lovely, I arrived with my friend before check in time but they still let us into our room but told us the cleaning staff still had to finish in there. We were staying in a private room, it was a lovely big room, double bed on the bottom bunk and a single on the top. There are decent sized lockers in the room (bring your own locks) and there was an alarm clock music player that plugged into an ipod. The location is amazing, within a ten minute walk of the White House and that part of DC, when I arrived the hostel gave us a map of the local area and it listed all of the nearby shops, restaurants, bars, museums, attractions and everything that you need to know. There are tours on constantly going to different places around the city. The hostel itself feels really homely, it isn't a massive place but that makes it easier to just start chatting to people and get to know everyone. The breakfast was free and really good! There was cereal, bagels, muffins, fruit, tea, coffee and juice so plenty! The guy who runs the breakfast is really nice and makes you say good morning in a language other than English and gets everyone chatting, talking and getting to know each other. I just loved this hostel so much! Everyone was so nice and helpful, I would stay here whenever I'm in Washington DC!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Jayme-Lee: Such a heart-warming story! Thank you so much for sharing. Sounds like you took advantage of everything we have to offer. Yeah! We hope you and your friend do return...and stay for a week! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager
Brisbane
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed 2 nights and arriving just before 7pm thought I'd be perfectly timed for the night's activities - wrong, they had a pizza night at 6pm which was finished, and that was it. The next day had a "night time" monument tour which left at 6:30pm when it's broad daylight in DC during summer. They definitely need to offer more activities and a bar night or 2 wouldn't go astray. The staff were mostly good, but a few of the reception staff seemed scattered and disinterested a lot of the time.

The rooms are OK but it's definitely not worth paying the extra for a "premium" dorm, it just has less beds. The blind in my room was broken and so it was quite bright depending on which bed you were in.

Undoubtedly the worst part of my stay though was the group booking they had allowed of about 8 adults and 25 kids from Nigeria. Every time I went in or out of the hostel they were occupying the common room, using the pool table, or riding up and down in the one incredibly old, incredibly slow eleveator. It took literally 30 minutes to get down 3 levels and up again one morning.

• Stayed August 2012
travellerbrisbane123: I am so sorry that you had such a challenging stay. To be completely forthright, there were issues with that group. 99% of the time, it's all fine with groups, but this one group was a challenge for many people. Again, I apologize about the all of that. Also, you are right that our elevator, "Suzie," is very slow. Children riding up and down in it all night certainly wouldn't speed up the experience.

It is true that the primary benefit of the Premium Dorm is that there are fewer beds. We have rooms with 4, 6, 8, and 10 beds (and Private Rooms). More beds = lower price. Also, the Premium Dorms have upgraded blankets with duvets. It sounds like you might prefer the lower price and have more people in the room. No problem! I like that we can offer different price points for different preferences.

On the activities front, we do offer activities daily, including pub crawls. Usually, we have 2 or 3 pub crawls per week. I really sorry that the timing didn't work out for you to be able to go on one of them. It's a great way to meet people. I hope you're able to return to us and have a fantastic experience. Thank you for telling me about your stay.

~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

Very poor, even by US standards. Staff at the front desk very unhelpful and unfriendly and the dorms a joke- crowded and HOT. Bathrooms extremely dirty and the breakfast inedable. Anywhere else in the world this wouldn't exist, incomparable even to south American hostels.

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank AlexMLondon
AlexMLondon: I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations, particularly in the way of the service you received. We certainly let you down, and there are no excuses for us not making you feel welcome. It's also embarrassing that the hostel fell down on cleanliness. The breakfast comment is a bit confusing. In reading the other reviews from people who stayed here at the same time as you, it seems that breakfast was a very positive experience, and that they hostel was clean.

I will be speaking with my team this week about your comments to see if we can figure out what went wrong. We take seriously all feedback and strive always to be better. All of it helps us to improve. Thank you for telling us where we need to focus our attention.

~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

A GREAT place to stay, close walk to many places, or close to transport!

Typical H.I. standards: big, wonderful kitchen, friendly staff. Extremely funny and friendly breakfast staff.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
LianeK20: I guess that says it all! Thank you so much for the PERFECT SCORE and taking the time to provide your input. You made my day! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager