“Clean, friendly, and convenient”

HI Washington DC Hostel
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I am not experienced with hostels but I stayed here for a week with a school group. The hostel is a great choice. It is walking distance to metro center and to the Smithsonian, federal triangle, and the monuments.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

gatorj: I'm so happy to know that you and your group had such a good time at HI-DC! Thanks for the great note! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Reviewed May 25, 2012

As someone who already tried few hostel, this fulfill expectations:

- Clean rooms to share, in my case with 5 more people.
- One bathroom for each gender in each floor, so you probably will meet with someone else in there.
- Bed, sheets and bathrooms cleans and decent.
- Breakfast every morning include but of course you must clean your dishes.
- Bending machines on second floor at good prices.
- Free wifi on first 2 floors.
- Some games in first floor.
- Great location, near to principal POI, also near to a Metro and with good access to buses.

Some points that make it better than other hostels

- Staff is very nice, specially Jhon who take care of breakfast, he not only encourage people to teach him phrases in their native language, but also I observed him trying to connect people who seem lonely to make them friends.
- They offer almost daily some plan to do in the city, that beside help you know the city, let you connect with other guest at the hostel and best part, they do it for free (usually who give the tours are volunteers and not expect even a tip)

Only thing that I not like that much is the $4 for storage baggage in basement lockers, they can make it $2 or $3

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

BernardoMG: Thank you for your review and listing what you liked -- and really liked -- about HI-DC. It's 100% true that John, at breakfast, is a gem. There's no one like him, and we're lucky to have such a wonderful host. Also, our activities and tours, all volunteer led, are another high point for hostellers. The lockers are a tough one. The locker room in the basement used to be a free luggage storage room, but we had trouble with people going through other people's belongings. The only viable option, then, was to ask a vendor to supply the lockers. Unfortunately, they set the prices. It's not a money-thing for us. If we could, we would make it free. Great insights and discussions. Thanks! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Reviewed May 24, 2012

Went to DC for a week on a school trip, and we decided to stay at Hostelling International. Breakfast is served each morning, but cleaning of plates is your responsibility (of course; since it's a hostel). The gentleman who served the breakfast each morning was fun, and required that his guests greeted him with the a "good morning" in a different language each day.The receptionists were very friendly and helpful too. The elevator is only for use if the situation requires you to use it - when it is not possible for you to use the stairs; usually the stairs are used. Also, you''re given a wristband - at least we were - to prove that you actually are staying at the hotel. Cards are given instead of keys, and we found that to be very convenient. The location of the hostel is terrific, to say the least. It isn't far from a bus stop either, though it is recommended to take a cab instead. Overall, I'd say that we were all, the entire class, pretty content about staying there - it made our trip easier.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

TinaTheConqueror: Everything sounds so wonderful the way you tell it! Thanks for posting such a wonderful review. Glad to read that your group enjoyed yourselves! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Reviewed May 8, 2012

This hostel is in a great location and good value for money (well as good as you can get in DC!!). As others have said, it's fine - I've stayed at better but I've also stayed at worse. Pros - it was clean and the breakfast was good. Cons - bathrooms get crowded, can be noisy & only 1 very slow lift.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

ricko211: Thank you for your review and letting us know what worked and what didn't. Cleanliness and good breakfast are key to a pleasant experience, and I'm pleased to know that we delivered. During peak times, some bathrooms can get a bit busy, but this doesn't happen all that often. The nice things about shared bathrooms is that you can always go to another floor if your bathroom is crowded. Oh yes, Suzie (our elevator) is quite slow. We'd love to get a new one, but the price of that (estimated at $250,000) is so expensive. I just have trouble seeing us be able to get that kind of money together. All great points. Thanks! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Reviewed May 7, 2012

I'm a 29 year old professional and use hostels when I travel alone as they are normally more sociable than boring hotel bars. Not this place. It is well located for budget accommodation but thee the good points end. The staff made no attempt to offer the advice normally associated with these places. It has a cart blance ban on alcohol and treats guests as pubescent children. The whole place does not lend itself to informal gathering and socialising and the facilities are poor. I'm currently sat in it's lobby trying to find alternative accommodation because I am sure DC can do better than this. Please don't make the same mistake I have!

Room Tip: Book another place altogether. Maybe a park bench on the National Mall, you're sure to have a mo...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank David M
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

David M: I am so sorry that you are not having a good experience at HI-DC. We really dropped the ball by not giving you useful information about this great city, and it's unacceptable that we were not friendly. Every one of our team loves what we do, so we really must have had an off day. Please accept my apologies.

The alcohol issue is a sore one for some people. DC requires that any establishment that allows alcohol to be brought in (called BYOB, for Bring Your Own Bottle), must get a special liquor license -- even if you don't sell alcohol. It's very expensive. Any hostel that allows people to drink in public areas runs the risk of being shut down, and the management can go to jail. Not get get too serious here, but DC doesn't play around with this.

Honestly, I hope you were able to find what you were seeking. Of course, I wish that we could have been the ones to make you feel welcome, but it's most important that you're happy. Thank you for telling me about the challenges you faced. Safe and happy travels! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Reviewed May 2, 2012

I came to DC December 2011.
The reception staff were friendly & helpful.
We stayed in a private room which was very clean.
The shower facilities were acceptable, I have nothing bad to say, it was always clean which was the important thing. breakfast was at a good standard too :)
If I am coming to Washington DC I'll be coming there

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

Superbluestar: What lovely sentiments...and I hope you do come back, soon! Thanks! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed as part of a group of 8 after spending 3 months working at a summer camp. Information, facilities and location was all very good! Rooms were clean, bathrooms and showers were clean also. And we had free breakfast and also one might signed up for free dinner too! This was fantastic! Would highly recommend for a few nights stay.

• Stayed: August 2011
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

Lauramish: Sounds like you and your friends had a fantastic time at HI-DC! And you were able to join us for one of our free dinners. Super! Thanks for the review...you made my day! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager