“Spring break stay”

Avenue Suites Georgetown
Ranked #7 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Stayed here on a whim during spring break with the kids. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We were given a suite with two queen beds, a living room and kitchen all closed off with doors which is great with small kids that go to bed early.

Hotel is close to everything. We walked to white house and museums which is a 20 min walk but you can take the subway. Within walking distance of M street, fun shops etc.

Definitely recommend.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Frederique G
Diego H, General Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear Frederique G,

Thank you for staying with us for spring break with your kids. I am delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your stay and that our service, location and amenities had so much to do with that. On behalf of my team we look forward to your return trip from Montreal.

There are newer reviews for Avenue Suites Georgetown

Reviewed April 10, 2014

This was an awesome stay! I came with a group of five girls for my batchelorette party. The front desk staff offered a map of the city, and a few minutes after getting to our room, we were treated to a complimentary bottle of (tastey) champaign for the celebration. It was perfect for the size of our group, and everyone loved what the suite had to offer, including a full kitchen Pre-stocked with dishes, pots and pans, glasses, and silverware. It was clean, comfortable, and the decor was modern yet classic (who knew that was even possible). I would stay here again for sure. I was extremely pleased with the whole experience, as were my friends!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Kkktp

Dear Kkktp,

Thank you for staying with us to celebrate your bachelorette party and for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted to learn that we exceeded your expectations and hope that you had a memorable experience during this important time in your life. On behalf of my team we wish you the best and look forward to your return trip from Jacksonville.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

We stayed with our 15-year old daughter over spring break in mid-March and selected this hotel based on other reviews. For the location, room and services, the price is remarkably low. The staff is very friendly and oriented to guest comfort. On a rainy day, a staff member offered to give umbrellas to take with us as we were leaving for the day. We were greeted each afternoon upon our return on chilly days by a staff member serving hot cider, with a shot of rum upon request. Speaking of drinks, the bartenders in the A Bar restaurant are excellent and will create anything you like if you tell them the type of flavors you enjoy. (They might anxiously stand by you until you taste your drink to be sure you like it.) Although the restaurant menu is limited, the flatbreads are excellent if you want a light meal. It was a nice place to stop at the end of the day. There is a secluded outdoor seating area with gas open-pit fireplaces. There is also a good Italian restaurant a half block away as well as a good Cajun restaurant across the street. Georgetown and its restaurants and shops are within easy walking distance. Marcel's, the top rated restaurant in DC, is about two blocks away. All in all, we thought the location was good. The Metro station is four or five blocks away, next to George Washington University hospital, a bit of a hike on a blustery day, but otherwise easy to access. (There is a Whole Foods supermarket near the station if you want to stock your kitchen as well as a Trader Joe's a block from the hotel.) If you are in DC for an extended period and plan to limit your visit to the immediate DC area, buy an unlimited seven-day pass for $35 from Metro. Also consider taking one of the trolley tours that let you hop on and off the trolley to visit the monuments and museums. The room, which was arranged well, was kept clean and well stocked. Our daughter likes to have her own separate area, which this provided. She also liked the free Wi-Fi. The kitchen is a little dated, but more than adequate for breakfast in the morning or a snack upon returning to the room. The extra sink in the kitchen is also handy. The bathroom is small and does not have a fan, although that is not unusual. I would have liked to have had more shelf space around the sink. There is, however, another sink area outside the bathroom with lots of counter space. I few drawers would have been helpful. The negatives: we had to turn off the HVAC system altogether to keep our room from getting too warm. During our stay, the outdoor temperature fluctuated widely, and this may have contributed to the problem. The hotel does not have a business center, although the staff will print documents for you. The closet and drawer space for three people was barely sufficient. I am sure there are other hotels that are better located and more luxurious, but based on our review, the price difference is significant. We visited DC to see the city, not spend time in a hotel, and this hotel more than met our needs and exceeded our expectations. And provided a few pleasant surprises. We would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank Brian975

Dear Brian975,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted to learn how much you enjoyed our amenities, location, service and value. I do apologize about the temperature in your guest room which is a challenge when the temperatures in DC go from 80 to 30 degrees almost overnight. On behalf of my team at Avenue, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return trip from Missouri.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

This was the perfect spot for my family of 4 (includes 2 boys, 12 & 15). There was plenty of space for us. And having the adjoining room with a sofa and table w/chairs was nice when we would come back to the hotel to rest between museums, touring and dinner. The kitchen was a very welcome amenity. We shopped for breakfast items at Trader Joe's (right across the street!) and ate breakfast in our room every day. Saved a lot of time that way and made the mornings much more manageable. The design of the whole hotel is fresh and modern. Loved walking off the elevator to a great photo of Paul and Robert. Made me smile every time. Location is great. Walkable to Georgetown and the Foggybottom metro stop is just a short walk from the hotel.
Would definitely stay here again and will recommend to friends.

2  Thank travelingmom024

Dear travelingmom024,

Thank you for staying with us with your family. I am delighted to learn how much you enjoyed our amenities, location and décor. On behalf of my team at Avenue, we appreciate you recommending us to your friends and look forward to your return trip from Chicago.

Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

Hotel front desk staff friendly and helpful. Room was clean. Closet space/drawers for a suite for a party of 4 was serious deficient. Housekeeping staff did not restock toilet tissue, or coffee. We had to call the front desk daily to request coffee and they only provided enough for two cups. The kitchen lacked essential items such as hot pad holders. The location was convenient to metro for easy access to monuments and museums. All in all we enjoyed the four nights.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Kathy P

Dear Kathy P,

Thank you for staying with us to celebrate your spring break. I am glad that you enjoyed your overall experience but disappointed because of the deficiencies during your stay. I have shared your feedback with our housekeeping team to ensure this is corrected. Please contact me directly at the hotel so that we can discuss your stay in further detail and I can ensure your satisfaction.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We have just returned from an extended weekend stay in the DC area for spring break. We preferred a hotel that was closer to Georgetown and the more interesting areas than downtown. We were very happy with our choice and I will honestly say I was surprised there weren't a few better reviews on this location. My family agreed we would all stay here again. ( 2 adults, 2 kids, 8 & 4)

Positives:
The space is fantastic for any hotel, much less an urban one. Large bedroom with bathroom and closet unit, small fully stocked kitchen (full size fridge/freezer, pots/pans, coffee) and a separate living room area with a table and pull out sofa. Bed was not plush but very comfortable. Good towels, good bath products, and a hair dryer. TV's in both rooms with good channel selection. Trader Joe's across the street (literally) was a massive windfall we learned to love. There was a small park just down a block with open grassy area and benches - perfect for kids to run and play. The walk to Georgetown restaurants and shops was 5-10 minutes and several even closer options. The metro was also a 10 minute walk up and around, although we found Uber cars were always in the area and fast. We found the wifi to be good, although it did have some time-out/logoff so I would have to login the ipads for the kids periodically. The staff was friendly as we needed them and there was a bar/small counter for food service downstairs (limited). We were up high, but found the rooms to be very quiet from both inside and outside building noise.

Cons:
While we thoroughly enjoyed staying here, if you are only seeking 4.5-5 star this might not be the place for you. It is well managed and cared for but it is not brand new/updated. The kitchen was convenient and is in need of updating. ( i.e. the drawers wobbled, stove was older and yes, wear and tear. I found the dishes and refrigerator to be clean but the drawers and floors weren't like home.) The space and the convenience of the unit is so comfortable that it was easy to overlook the outdated bathrooms - specifically the shower/bath. It was spacious and clean. There is a bar with a food service counter downstairs in the lobby that has some ok options, but I would say this aligns more with a younger bar crowd than family friendly or good food. Although we did really enjoy the french toast and egg sandwich. The pull out sofa was very typical of a cheap hotel and you would never put anyone over 8 or 9 in this bed. My kids didn't complain but it really wasn't a good mattress. No access to a pool.

All in all, I would recommend this location and we will return to this spot. If you're seeking a hotel off the typical mainstream path that is Georgetown convenient, this is it. If you want to head out for monuments, museums, etc - check out Uber and taxis, they're cheaper and easier than the Metro.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 10th floor and had a fantastic experience. Very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Ali M
Diego H, General Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Dear Ali M,

Thank you for your recent extended weekend at Avenue Suites and for taking the time to write your review. I appreciate your comments regarding our amenities, location and service. Thank you as well for your feedback regarding the kitchens which we are in the process of freshening.

I do hope that the cons you listed have not marred your overall impression of our hotel and that you may allow us the opportunity to welcome you back. Kindly contact me directly at the hotel should you wish to further discuss the details of your stay.

Warmest regards,
Avenue Suites

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We arrived on chilly day in D.C. and were greeted by a very friendly staff. Rooms are spacious - 600+ sq. ft. - and well appointed. Close to Metro stops and walking distance to Georgetown and our destination, Blues Alley. Comfy beds and a quiet room even though on Pennsylvania Ave. Breakfast was quite good but menu was limited. We'll be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JW J
Diego H, General Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear JW J,

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to write your review. I am thrilled to learn how much you enjoyed your stay and that the size of the suites, amenities and service had so much to do with that. On behalf of my team, we look forward to your return trip from Pennsylvania.

Avenue Suites Georgetown