“Great Hotel for A Family stay in Washington, D.C.”

Avenue Suites Georgetown
Ranked #15 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We booked this hotel based on feedback on Tripadvisor. It was fantastic. We arrived at the hotel early about 8am after a terrible night in an Amtrak Sleeper train from Orlando to Washington, D.C. (That's going to be another review). Even thought the official check in was much later in the day, we were allowed to check in, which was so helpful with two very tried children. The rooms were great! The good size rooms consist of a kitchen, lounge room, bedroom (ours had two queen beds) and a good size bathroom. The room was really clean with plenty of amenities. Location was great too, about 2 - 3 blocks from Foggy Bottom Subway station, which made travel easy. Heaps of places close by to get food, including a great little supermarket across the street called Trader Joes. Restaurants everywhere too many to name. One other bonus is the hotel is only half a mile from Georgetown shopping precinct and Georgetown Harbor which has heaps of cute shops and restaurants.

The staff where also excellent, so friendly and welcoming, it's a credit to them and their managers.

Great hotel. A must for families with children traveling to DC, as the locals call it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kiddycat5
Diego H, General Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Dear Kiddycat5,

Thank you for your visit and for your kind review. I am thrilled that your stay was fantastic and that our hotel provided the perfect amenities, location and service for you and your family. On behalf of everyone at Avenue suites we wish you a very happy New Year and look forward to your return visit from Australia.

Warmest regards,
Avenue Suites

Write a ReviewReviews (1,556)

Reviewed December 21, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at the Avenue Suites recently while in DC for a conference. Let me start with the positives. The location is excellent and the decor is outstanding. The old hollywood theme combined with the furniture really works.

Now on to the reason I can't give this hotel my highest rating. On the first night I noticed an odd smell in the room. The next morning I mentioned it to the front desk clerk and they said that someone would look into it. When I returned after a full day of conferencing the smell was still there and even more pungent. I asked the front desk person to send someone up and no one came. The next day I asked the front desk person to come up to the room and smell it. Upon coming in to the room they also smelled the now horrible smell. They were able to figure out that some one had tried to dispose of cat food down the garbage disposal and it was still in there. (How they knew it was cat food is beyond me). We went back down stairs and my room was switched. Not an upgrade, not a free night, not even a coupon for a free water. Just moved.

Now I am not a person the expects to be upgraded for every little complaint, but this was 2 nights of my 4 night stay ruined by oder. Repeated request to have it taken care of went unfulfilled and it took me requesting someone to come up to my room before It was taken care of.

Honestly I would have settled for a written apology, but nothing and that in my opinion is unacceptable. Therefore I have to say that the customer service I received from this establishment is far from the level I would expect from a major hotel in our nations capital.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank Media_Prof1911
Diego H, General Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Dear Media_Prof1911,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback regarding your recent stay. I have sent you a personal email so that we can resolve this issue to your satisfaction. As I mentioned on my email, the service experience that you had was below our standards. We take pride in providing all of our guests with personalized and memorable experiences. Rest assured that I am looking into the issue to ensure that this breakdown in communication and follow-up does not happen again. I look forward to connecting with you privately.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Great staff, modern boutique feel, and cool lobby bar. Rooms are 600 sqft, 4 room suites, with comfortable king size beds, full kitchens, and separate bathroom and living area / office with 2x flat screen TVs. Very reasonably priced, less expensive than nearby standard hotels. Would be perfect for an extended business stay or week long family vacation. 5 min walk from Foggy Bottom Metro station and Georgetown. My wife and I will definitely stay there again next time we visit DC.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael G

Dear Michael G,

Thank you for your recent stay and for your review. I appreciate your comments about our amenities, location and great value. On behalf of my team, we look forward to welcoming you and your wife back to DC.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for 3 nights the beginning of Nov. We had an amazing stay. Great location for the bus and subway. Great front reception staff, full kitchen, Trader Joes across the street, walking distance to restaurants (make early reservations at the popular ones- don't believe you don't need them). I understand you can walk to Georgetown, we kept going the other way to attractions. The fourth day would have been Georgetown.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Diego H, General Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2013

Dear Italianadventure,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am thrilled that you and your daughter had such an amazing stay. I appreciate your comments about our location, amenities and most importantly our reception staff. On behalf of my team we look forward to welcoming you back soon for a longer stay so that you can have time to visit Georgetown and other great areas of the city.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

We were planning a trip to DC and were looking for enough room for a family of 5. Many other options limited to 4 guests, so had considered staying outside the city. I came across good reviews for Avenue Suits and we booked at a reasonable rate compared to other options. From the moment we walked in the door I understood the many great reviews. The staff made every effort to make our stay comfortable and feel like we were valued. The room was very spacious, exactly what we were looking for. The rooms have a separate living room area with fold out couch. The room was very comfortable and clean. It was great to have a kitchen and Trader Joe's across the street. We were able to buy some basic items, like breakfast cereals and milk for the kids, that made the morning that much simpler for our somewhat picky eaters. The hotel is convenient in its location between Georgetown and the many monuments/museums that we planned on visiting. Only negative was having to pay to valet park only but that should be expected in a city hotel. I would highly recommend this hotel for great value and excellent service.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear Laureljoe,

Thank you for your recent visit and wonderful review. I am thrilled that after looking at all the options in the city for your family trip, you decided on Avenue suites. I appreciate your comments about our location, amenities and most importantly the service provide by my team. On behalf of everyone at Avenue suites, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

We took our two young children to D.C. over Veteran's Day. The staff were excellent and the room was wonderful. The kitchen makes the unit very family friendly and there was plenty of room for two little ones to run around. The hotel was within walking distance to the White House and Memorial Park. There is also a Trader Joes, Papa Johns, Subway and amazing Thai Restaurant across the street. I highly recommend this hotel, our stay nothing short of wonderful!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel, the back rooms you will be looking at an alley.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear Jenna M,

Thank you for your review. I was delighted to learn that you had a wonderful stay at Avenue Suites. I appreciate your comments about the convenience of having a full kitchen in your guestroom, our location, amenities and most importantly the friendly service provide by my team. On behalf of everyone at Avenue suites, we look forward to welcoming you back soon and we grateful for highly recommending us to your friends and family.

Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very very nice and clean. Also it is located bedside the Georgetown shops and you could have a lots of fun in Georgetown. The staff are great and nice. My stay at this hotel was a great experience I would share with all my friends. It gave me more than I expected.
The suite is very big and comfortable. I love the sofa in the living room and bed is so comfortable. If I have more time, I would like to stay longer. It was just so nice.

Stayed: December 2013

Dear Jun L,

Thank you for your review. I am glad that we exceeded your expectations regarding cleanliness, location and service. I am delighted to learn that you will be sharing your experience with all your friends. On behalf of everyone at Avenue suites, we look forward to welcoming you back soon for a longer stay!