“Not what I expected”

Avenue Suites Georgetown
Ranked #8 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed April 4, 2013

A week before our trip, I was reviewing the hotel details online when I noticed that it was a pet friendly hotel. My son has asthma and this particular winter has been especially rough due to the harsh flu season and high pollen count in Los Angeles.

I called the hotel and spoke to a woman at the front desk. When I asked if any rooms were pet-free, she said the higher floors were pet-free and she would put us on the 9th floor. But knowing that hotels generally don’t/can’t guarantee this type of request, I asked again and also told her I would totally understand if it couldn’t be done. I just needed her to confirm this before I canceled my reservation. She ASSURED me very pleasantly that it wouldn’t be a problem.
Cut to arrival date…get to the front desk and an older gentleman assists us. When I explain my conversation with the female associate, he simply says, “There’s no note about that on your reservation”, then gives us a room on the 3RD FLOOR without trying to look into it any further. What was really disappointing was his lack of concern about my son’s asthma. He tells me that the all the rooms can have pets then continues with “I see that you booked the room through Expedia. Are you sure you spoke to the hotel when you called?”. WOW.

Not sure which associate had the right information but I would expect every employee would know the correct process/procedures of the hotel so miscommunication like this can be avoided.
Fortunately, the manager was very understanding and helpful and got us a room on the 7th floor. Although our stay was pleasant enough (Trader Joe’s & Metro nearby, clean & spacious room), with the outdated kitchen, lack of temperature control, noise level from the outside AND adjoining wall (sounded like a frat party on 2 of the nights!), I don’t plan on staying here again when we return in the summer.

3  Thank arre10
Mitchell T, Front Office Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

arre10,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Avenue Suites experience with the TripAdvisor public. The mix-up you and your family endured is unacceptable and we will make the necessary changes to ensure it does not happy to anyone else. I am glad to hear that you and your family were happier once we got the issue settled and can guarantee you a return visit will prove to you what makes us so special. You already have my cell phone number so please reach out to me the next time you are planning to return to Washington DC so I can oversee your visit and make sure it is flawless.

cell: 814-441-1684

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Excellent location and value! A short walk to the metro, but we also walked Pennsylvania Ave to the White House/National Mall, and it's a really great walk from the Lincoln Memorial past George Washington University. Convenient walk to Georgetown and endless dining choices. The room is spacious with some very nice contemporary features. Yes, the kitchen is dated, but it's not gross! We found it really helpful to have a kitchen with a full size refrigerator. Noise was not an issue. Washer/Dryer in the basement was easy to get to and worked great. The room was hot at times, but once we realized we could crack the windows, it was a non-issue. The staff is remarkable. We had to park a few blocks away the first night, however, the next day the hotel had availablity for us in their lot (the parking garage we used the first night was much less $). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this property, and I wouldn't even consider another hotel when we return.

Room Tip: 7th floor corner suite, facing the back of the hotel.

td496,

Thank you so much for sharing your great words about the Avenue Suites with all of our friends here on TripAdvisor. We appreciate you recommending our hotel to your friends and family and would love to see you back here with us again soon. I agree that the kitchens are a tad dated but most of our guests are just happy to have the convenience of an apartment-style guest room in the heart of Washington DC. Please reach out to me at the e-mail address below if you or any of your friends would like assistance on your upcoming reservations.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Two issues at this property preclude me from giving it a fabulous rating. The cooling system wasn't working. The day I stayed here was unseasonably warm and my room was swelteringly hot. They couldn't do anything because the system hadn't been switched over (from heat to AC) so I didn't sleep well at all. Isn't that why we stay at a hotel?? The other issue was parking. It was a few blocks away (the Westin's garage) NOT convenient at all. And I asked when I made the reservation directly with the hotel if the residence address was the same as the parking address. Hmm. Not. Oops, one more bad. They need blackout shades/curtains. Too much light enters the room.
Now the good: Good location on PA Ave at M Street at the edge of Georgetown. Trader Joe's a stones-throw away. Pleasant, helpful, efficient staff. Comfy bed (if only I could have slept!) with fine linens (towels good & fluffy, too). Bathroom all marble. Rain shower head. Keurig coffee maker. Clean. Good value for DC. Close to metro (foggy bottom about 3 blocks away).
I would return, but never when seasons are changing.

Room Tip: Away from the street. Lots of noise in Georgetown a good part of the day & night.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank liket2travel

Greetings like2travel,

I agree that the interim period between Winter & Spring is a tad difficult due to our central heating system however can report that we are now officially using our air conditioning and would love to have you back for another visit. It is great to hear that you were pleased with our location and staff and can assure you that a second chance will prove to you what makes us such a special hotel here in Washington DC. Please get in touch with me if you would like to take me up on my offer so I can personally oversee you visit from start to finish at the Avenue Suites.

I look forward to working with you in the future,

Reviewed March 31, 2013

First of all, this review would have been higher if not for the four phone calls and one and a half hour wait it took to get more towels delivered to our room. I know the manager will leave me a note to contact him after this review, but really, it won't do any good as the service opportunity was already missed. The other issue with the towels is that with five of us, the maid consistently would only leave four towels in the room. This was a suite with two queen beds and a pull out couch. I even left a note one day with the tip money asking for at least five bath towels and they did not leave them. I am not sure why there is such a premium placed on towels.
Secondly, this building must have a heating cooling system that can operate only one at a time, so if you stay at a time of the year in which the weather can fluctuate, such as in March, you may be out of luck. When using the oven, the temperature reaches the upper 70's in the room and the AC controls do nothing to lower it. We had to open the windows and sleep with them open every single night, just to have a comfortable temperature. Luckily, we were at the back of the hotel so it was not noisy. If we had faced Pennsylvania Avenue, I cannot imagine how loud it would be.
The kitchen is outdated. Utensils are sparce. But it serves it purpose and was nice to have. Trader Joes is right nearby and has a good selection of groceries.
The room itself was very clean. The beds were comfortable. The TV is another issue. No where in the room was a list of TV channels. The channels run from 1-13 skip up to 24 or so, has another run of channels and then a big gap and then more channels in the 60's and 70's. It was very difficult to find what you wanted to watch without a guide. There was a safe in the bedroom. It is big enough to hold a 15 inch macbook pro, four iPads and some other smaller items, but not much more.
Again, I enjoyed the stay. It was a short walk to foggy bottom Metro station or even to shops in the Georgetown area. There is a Wells Fargo bank just four blocks away or so, which was good for me to hit the ATM. The temperature control and the lack of providing adequate numbers of towels or the 1.5 hours and four phone calls to get more towels made this a three star review versus a possible four or five star review. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the back side of the hotel. Away from Pennsylvania avenue.
5  Thank Ativan1
Mitchell T, Front Office Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Ativan1,

We use feedback from experienced travelers like yourself often and this post is no exception. Since your TripAdvisor entry, we have put a new policy in place that will have additional amenities in the rooms of parties of four or more. Also, due to our central HVAC system we either have hear or AC for the entire hotel and today is officially the first day of air conditioning. I understand the interim period between the cold months and the warms ones can be a tad uncomfortable but have since switched over and that is behind us. Our TV system is undergoing an upgrade from 21 channels to 99 channels which has caused some channel line-up issues but will be resolved in the upcoming weeks. I would love for you to come and visit us to give us a second chance. If you do decide to, please send me an e-mail at the address below so that we can hash out the details.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We decided to stay in Georgetown instead of our usual haunts near the mall. What a wonderful change of place and thanks to Avenues Suites it was really a perfect weekend. We have 2 kids and a dog so wanted a large room at a dog friendly place (and this is indeed very dog friendly!). Our room at Avenues was spacious but what I especially liked was the layout - a 2-room bathroom, a living room and a kitchen all adjacent to the bedroom featuring 2 queens size beds. The staff is outstanding in their attentiveness and friendliness. Mitch the concierge/manager dishes out information with panache and good cheer. The location is great - quiet but still very close to the shopping and hubub of Avenue M in Georgetown.

1  Thank Endeavor T

Greetings Endeavor T,

We love to get 5-star reviews from recent guests of the Avenue Suites. I must agree that staying in Georgetown has its benefits and our location is one of the best in the neighborhood. It is great to hear that I was able to assist with your time in Washington DC and that our staff exceeded your expectations. Please reach out to me directly the next time you are planning to join us so I can ensure it is another memorable visit.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

My husband, our 3 yr old daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights for our first visit to DC. I chose this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews and glad I did! It's in a good location....a few blocks from the Metro and located in a college area (Georgetown and GWU). Seemed like a nice neighborhood. The day we arrived, we walked to the White House (about 15 minute walk). The front desk person told us that the Lincoln Memorial was the closest attraction, but we didn't make it there. Trader Joe's is across the street and it was great to have the fully functional kitchen (as others have said, the kitchen could use updating but it was nice to have, especially with a young child). Tip: bring shopping bags to trader joe's because they charge 5 cents/bag. The suite is a good size, 2 queen beds were comfy, and entire room was very clean. Every staff member we encountered was friendly, helpful, and welcoming. The outdoor area would be great in warmer weather. We would have stayed an extra night if we didn't already have plans at home. We had a very nice and comfortable stay and I would definitely recommend.

1  Thank islandjumpers
Mitchell T, Front Office Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Greetings islandjumpers,

Thank you for telling all of our online friends about the fantastic visit you and your family had with us at the Avenue Suites. Nothing makes us happier than when guests read about us on TripAdvisor and then decide to come and stay with us. As a fellow Keystone State native, I would love for you to give me a call the next time you are planning to visit us so I can make sure it is an extra special visit for you and your family.

I look forward to working with you in the future,
phone: 202-464-5609

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Avenue Suites is staffed by terrific individuals, always concerned with providing stellar customer service. The hotel is in an excellent location and walking distance to everything you'll need. The kitchen is a bit dated and the food isn't exactly cheap but it is a small sacrifice. A great stay overall!

1  Thank ehsim

ehsim,

Thank you for your fantastic review about the Avenue Suites here in Washington DC. While I love reviews about our hotel and location, it is the comments about our stellar staff that put the biggest smile on my face. I have passed your fantastic words onto them so they know just how appreciative you are.

We look forward to seeing you again soon,