“Excellent service”

Ranked #9 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Florida
“Excellent service”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Avenue Suites is staffed by terrific individuals, always concerned with providing stellar customer service. The hotel is in an excellent location and walking distance to everything you'll need. The kitchen is a bit dated and the food isn't exactly cheap but it is a small sacrifice. A great stay overall!

1 Thank ehsim
Mitchell T, Front Office Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
ehsim,

Thank you for your fantastic review about the Avenue Suites here in Washington DC. While I love reviews about our hotel and location, it is the comments about our stellar staff that put the biggest smile on my face. I have passed your fantastic words onto them so they know just how appreciative you are.

We look forward to seeing you again soon,
e-mail: mturow@modushotelsdc.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Solana Beach
Reviewed March 29, 2013

The hotel is pretty hip, yet still service oriented and very friendly. The suites are very spacious and the separate living room with desk and dining area were laid out very comfortably. The kitchens are circa 1970 but we weren't planning on preparing elaborate meals. And if the property does upgrade the kitchens, the prices will have to increase. We have 2 teenagers so we actually reserved 2 suites and I still think it was a great value. We bought breakfast, snacks and drinks @ Trader Joe's and that saved us enough to justify eating dinner wherever we wanted. Can't say enough about this property (& Mitch and Seck!) & thanks to trip advisor for helping us find it!

Room Tip: Can't imagine not facing Pennsylvania Ave so, based on other reviews, we packed earplugs. Only...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mitchell T, Front Office Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
562BeckyS,

What a great survey this is about you and your family's time with us here at the Avenue Suites. We always love to hear when guests hear about us on TripAdvisor and then come and stay with us. I must agree that you are spot on that our hotel is a mix of uptown chic as well as a comfy home for families. Please let me know the next time you are planning to stay with us so I can make sure it is another memorable visit.

Thanks again,
New York
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is an old building with new carpet and paint. Doesn't seem like they updated the utilities. The AC didn't work. Had to sleep with the window open & water out of the tap was nasty tasting. Very expensive - was in the $300 range for 1 night with parking

2 Thank SMCVT
SMCTV,

Thank you for your experienced opinion about your time with us at the Avenue Suites Georgetown. Yes - our building is old however underwent a major renovation both in the interior as well as the exterior. I would love the chance to speak with you about it in more detail as to what we have changed and what is in the future for us. Please give me a call at the phone number below so we can catch up soon.

London, Canada
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Had a wonderful trip to DC and many, many thanks to the exceptional front desk staff. I will give this hotel 3 stars though because I would rate some physical characteristics of the hotel as good and some as poor.

On the good side:
- Location. Easy walk (5-8 minutes) to Foggy Bottom metro. Also easy walk to shops and restaurants in Georgetown.
- Trader Joe's is across the street. I had never been to a Trader Joe's and was incredibly impressed with the fresh soups, salads, sandwiches, desserts, etc. that make for a perfect meal after a day of sight-seeing.
- Service. The staff are terrific and very responsive.
- Bedroom, living room, and bathroom were updated nicely. Some maintenance issues are needed in these areas though such as a bathroom faucet being backwards, missing magnified mirror, etc. Still overall in good condition.
- Quiet hotel but ask for a room that does not face the street if you are not used to city-noise.
- Full size appliances are good to have for a family. Liked the Keurig coffee maker too.

Needs improvement
- Kitchens are in very poor condition with some electrical and plumbing issues (garbage disposals shorting out, stove burner not connected securely, facet very stiff). Also, floor tiles were peeling up; cupboards were very outdated; and counters chipped. Overall, needs a full reno on the kitchens.
- Breakfast food in the restaurant was poor. Bacon was burned, french toast hard as a rock, yogurt overly sweet and the "fruit" in it was one strawberry cut in 4. Don't waste your money on the restaurant. Just go to Trader Joe's and pay less for better quality food.

We saw several rooms and were surprised that the kitchens were in such bad shape in all the units. However, enough functioned (fridge, microwave and coffee maker) and there were all the basic items we needed (plates, cups, etc.) that it worked well for a family.

4 Thank USCanTraveller
Greetings USCanTraveller,

Thank you so much for commending our great staff on their memorable customer service during your time with us at the Avenue Suites. You are correct that the majority of our hotel has been renovated, however there are aspects of it that is still original. I would love the opportunity to discuss your visit in more detail and hope that you can give me a call at the number below at your earliest convenience to do so. Experienced travelers like yourself are exactly what we need to help us towards our goal of perfection.

austin
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Our trip to DC was enhanced by exceptional accommodations at this small yet complete boutique hotel on the edge of Georgetown. It was very close to the metro (Foggy Bottom), clean, & comfortable. The staff was friendly and accommodating in every way! We especially enjoyed having a kitchen where we could start our day off by making breakfast. Trader Joe's is a nice grocer across the street. The bartender was especially good at making us feel welcome in the bar each evening. He was able to create yummy non-alcoholic drinks for our kids. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed March 2013
Candace B,

Who would not love to be called a perfect boutique hotel? We are so honored that you had such a memorable time with us here at the Avenue Suites and are already planning to return the next time you are in Washington DC. I have passed your positive comments on to our bartending staff who were elated to hear that you were so happy with their phenomenal customer service. Please send me an e-mail at the address below before your next visit so we can make sure it is extra exceptional for you.

I look forward to working with you in the future,
Boston
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Thanks to other TripAdvisor reviewers, I found this hotel for a mother/daughter trip to DC. First of all, it was very convenient, just a few short blocks from the Metro, so getting in from the airport was easy and getting around town was easy as well. Loved the location; we spent a fun night wandering around Georgetown but it was also close enough for a good walk to the White House. The room itself was spotless and more like an apartment than a hotel room. We had a full working kitchen, a large living room and a separate bedroom with two beds. The staff was very friendly and most helpful. Especially when my corkscrew broke off mid-way through the cork, threatening to take the happy out of happy hour. But the front desk crew came to the rescue and restored our good spirits. If I had any complaints, they would have to do with my own peculiarities as I found the bed too firm for me and the traffic noise too loud when I opened the window for fresh air at night. Neither of these issues would detract from the Excellent rating I give this hotel. It met our needs perfectly and I can't imagine staying anywhere else when I visit DC. Thank you, Avenue Suites staff for all of your help.

Room Tip: Next time, I'll ask for a room at the back, not on the Pennsylvania Ave side as the traffic nois...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mitchell T, Front Office Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
KB1955,

We are happy to hear that you got back to Beantown safely and have taken the time to fill out a TripAdvisor review about your time here at the Avenue Suites. It makes us feel so great when experienced travelers are impressed with our property as well as our fantastic staff. We were happy to rescue your bottle of wine and ensure your happy hour went off without a hitch! Please reach out to me at the e-mail address below so we can block you in a perfect room on your next visit.

Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I'm a frequent visitor to DC and have now put Avenue Suites at the top of my hotel list. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, all complete with kitchens and nice contemporary decor. But most importantly to me -- the rooms are quiet. I always get a great night's sleep. The location can't be beat if you want to be near Georgetown; it's also not a far walk to the Foggy Bottom metro and GWU campus. But what really sold me on this place is the attentive and friendly staff. The service is impeccable. Although seldom are there any problems, our coffee maker didn't work upon arrival last time we visited. However, within minutes of my call to the front desk, a manager came up to investigate and a replacement coffee maker was delivered 5 minutes later. My only reluctance in writing this review is that I would love to keep this place a secret! Hate to think that Avenue Suites might be booked next time I call for a reservation!

Carolyn L,

We love impressing frequent DC travelers who are now planning to return! It is fantastic to hear that word of the Avenue Suites has reached Kentucky and that you took the time to tell all of our TripAdvisor friends about your enjoyable visit with us. While we love the publicity, keeping us a secret is not an issue and urge you to reach out to me directly so we can work together on your next visits. Please call me at the number below so we can start planning right away!

Thanks again,