“And they like dogs...”

Avenue Suites Georgetown
Ranked #7 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Great friendly staff in an attractive hotel with a fabulous location, close to Georgetown, Foggy Bottom Metro, etc. Rooms are pleasant, spacious and the kitchen has everything you need. Pleasant bar/cafe and cozy outdoor porch on first floor. We would do a week end here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Mitchell T, Front Office Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Kathy L,

We don't just like dogs...we LOVE dogs! The entire Avenue Suites gets excited about both our 2-legged guests and our 4-legged guests. Your kind comments mean the world to us and we are already looking forward to your next visit with us.

We look forward to seeing you again soon,

Reviewed February 17, 2013

The front desk personnel (OMG) were over the top incredibly helpful. The room was big spacious and clean. Our room came with a kitchen that people would love to have in NYC- -big, clean, complete.

Great cappacino in the morning and terrific staff. Close to everything- -Georgetown, GWU, Penn Avenue.

Mostly we will return because of Mitch and his crew. We are so picky and that is why we will return.

Room Tip: ask for a big room. If they have it you get it.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Ellen H,

It was such a pleasure to meet you and your daughter here at the Avenue Suites this past week. I agree that our A Bar staff makes some of the best cappuccinos in town! I have passed your message along to our entire team so they know how appreciative you are of their phenomenal service. As we have discussed, please let me know the next time you are planning to visit so we can thank you personally!

We look forward to seeing you again soon,

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Avenue Suites, is literally the ideal lumping together of a boutique hotel in the hotel suite framework. It is sharply modern, and comfortable, ample and clean. I am so thrilled to have found this gem.

4 block walk from the Foggy Bottom Metro stop.
2 blocks to George Washington U Metro stop.
Within blocks: Whole Foods, hospital, bars, cafes, restaurants and parks.
It's a great location, any way you slice it!

First entering, I am greeted with warmth from the nice & efficient staff. The Lobby sets the tone for the rest of your stay at the hotel. Besides that it is beautiful, with the adjacent open-concept dining/cafe/bar...the main floor is clearly organized. I hate how so many hotel lobbies leave you looking like a doofus, trying to figure out where the elevators are. Avenue Suites' floor plan was well thought out, which I can appreciate.
The lobby is an area you wouldn't mind hanging out in either (I cozied up w/ cappuccino & a book one afternoon!):
Cowhide rugs, gas fireplace, built-in library, the textures and colors of the couch & chair fabrics looks so smart back-dropped with cold slate floors & clean white walls.
Just down the hall from lobby, is the small but complete 24/hr fitness room (treadmill, stationary bike, exercise balls, free weights, yoga mats, towels and filtered water). I was so thrilled to have 24/hr access for my late night runs.
But the real genius of this hotel, are the rooms themselves.
Each room at the Avenue Suites, is itself a suite. not a large room with a sofa, but a complete "2-bedroom apartment" sized hotel suite.

Lovely natural light, FREE wifi, the living room is spacious and comfortable, the bedroom is too, powder room & bathroom both great...but for me (weary traveler who likes to unwind via cooking) the kitchen is what rocked me.
The kitchen is fully stocked: cookware, stemware, silverware, dishwasher, oven, fridge, bar-towels, ice trays even!
I travel frequently enough, and it's such an exorbitant cost to eat out every day for all meals. I like to go to the grocery, and be able to store & cook my foods when I travel; And this is why I chose this hotel.

I had fallen in love with my brief stay at this home-away-from-home, but I knew for sure I would be back because he Staff goes above & beyond! More coffee in room, more towels, local recommendations, late check-outs, directions...shoot, if you need to know the type of fabric on the couch throw pillows...yup, you can ask and they will find out for you! Brilliant little hotel. The price is right too. My new favorite for DC.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Miss_Pantaloons

Miss_Pantaloons,

Your review of the Avenue Suites is exactly what the owner and designers had in mind when they created this property. Thank you so much for your incredibly kind and detailed review and for sharing your experience with the entire TripAdvisor world. I would love the opportunity to speak with you further and to invite you back personally to ensure you have another memorable stay with us.

I look forward to working with you in the future,
phone: 202-464-5609

Reviewed February 14, 2013

I am a regular traveler who appreciates a nice hotel, comfortable bed and clean bathroom. But I enjoyed staying here so much that I was emotional when I left. The first time I walked in the door I was welcomed with smiles and accommodating service. The lobby is striking in it's modern design,,art and photos. I felt as though I was in a gallery, and the sitting areas are impressive to invite your guests over for drinks. The patio is beautiful, it was unseasonably warm, but not enough to enjoy the patio, however I can't wait to go back in warmer months to completely enjoy. The room was lovely a 2 bedroom Queen Suite that was comfortable for the 3 of us. The shower was to die for with the Waterfall shower. The staff was so gracious to us. If we needed extra towels, coffee, replacement keys you name it, they accommodated with a smile. I loved the location I loved, loved, loved this hotel!

• Stayed: January 2013

KRL1,

While we are just as sad to see you go, it is fantastic to hear that you are planning to come and visit us again soon! As you said, it would be great to come back in the warmer months to enjoy our outdoor patio and fire pits. I agree that the addition of our large rain showerheads has been marvelous and our guests have been very pleased.

We look forward to your next visit with us at the Avenue Suites!

Best wishes,

Reviewed February 12, 2013

The Avenue Suites combines the best features of a suite hotel and a boutique hotel and is in a great location with an amazing staff.

My room had a kitchen with full fridge, dishwasher and full electric stove/oven in a separate room just off the front door. The main room was very large with nicely appointed desk, couch, dining table and large TV, with plenty of room to spare. Bedroom was also spacious. Bath is off bedroom and has a separate room for toilet and shower and a second sink. Shower has a standard plastic tub/ stall but with a 12”x12” “rainfall” shower head of the sort usually found in boutique hotels. The room overlooks Pennsylvania Avenue, which means some traffic noise so high rooms or back rooms might be best for those bothered by this. Internet access was free (as it should be) and of good quality.

The common spaces have a boutique hotel style with large photos of movie stars a common theme. There’s a small bar on the first floor and the prices are quite moderate for an urban hotel (less than $10 for a glass of wine). The bar serves some food (“small plates”) and breakfast but there is no room service.

The staff are among the most friendly and cheerful I’ve encountered. They personally engage to help out in any way they can. And this may be the most pet friendly hotel I’ve seen. There is a mascot/ resident dog—a cute and very friendly dog who can give those who miss our canine campaigns a little fix of dog affection.

The location is great—between George Washington U/ Washington Circle and Georgetown. There are ~20 restaurants within 4 blocks including small ethnic places , sandwich shops, a Whole Foods food court and some of the more interesting fine dining restaurants in DC. There’s a basement level Trader Joe’s across the street. The George Washington U metro stop is a short two blocks away.

This will be at the top of my list for future trips to DC. I stay in DC 10 or more times a year and this is probably the best place I've stayed in recent years.

Room Tip: Upper floors and back rooms to avoid traffic noise--buses and trucks shifting gears--starting around...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank elm4154
Mitchell T, Front Office Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

elm4154,

Tremendous feedback from experienced travelers like yourself reminds us that we are headed towards our goal of perfection. Your great description of the Avenue Suites is very much appreciated by all of us and hope you will come back and see us again soon. It seems as though you travel to Washington DC quite often so please call me at your earliest convenience so we can discuss your next visit.

Thanks again and I look forward to working with you in the future,

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Loved this place. I've stayed in so many "suites" that we're just large hotel rooms with a sofa bed. My suite here was like a small apartment with a real kitchen and bedroom. Manager Mitchell greeted me with a handshake and made sure everything was right. Did I mention I loved this place?

Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank George W

NorCal_Traveler_10,

It feels so great when experienced TripAdvisor guests rave about their time with us at the Avenue Suites. Our rooms are indeed like small apartments in the middle of the city and really offer our guests the chance to relax while they are in Washington DC. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us with all of our other TripAdvisor friends. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Best wishes,

Reviewed February 10, 2013

My colleague and I stayed there for a conference being held nearby in Georgetown. Right upon arrival, Thierry was there to happily greet us and to make our already hectic travel schedule very easy and smooth. He continued to help us with all details of the trip! The room, the location, the lobby, outdoor lounge and even the work out room were better than expected! Very clean, modern and well cared for. A little oasis right in DC! We barely had to take cabs and walked everywhere, using Trader Joe's across the street as a dining hub to then come back to the hotel for cooking in our kitchen. It all felt like home. Thank you very much, Avenue Suites staff for a wonderful stay! Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sophiam92
Mitchell T, Front Office Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Sophiam92,

Thierry has not stopped smiling since he read your fantastic TripAdvisor survey. Thank you so much for recognizing his fabulous service and telling everyone on TripAdvisor about your memorable stay at the Avenue Suites. Please reach out to me directly at the e-mail address below so I can organize your next vacation with us.

Thanks again,