“A Lovely Holiday at Avenue Suites” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Avenue Suites Georgetown

Avenue Suites Georgetown
Ranked #5 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Lovely Holiday at Avenue Suites”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I live in Georgetown and my family was visiting for the holidays, so we looked around for hotels that were reasonable in the area. Avenue Suites had a very respectable rate and the room square footage couldn't be beat. 4 adults stayed for 4 nights and couldn't have been happier. There was a decent sized bedroom (2 queen beds), vanity area, and bathroom. A generously sized living room (with a sofa bed), and small (but full) kitchen. Everything was clean and comfortable. The common areas were very new-looking and modern, definitely spaces where anyone would be happy to hang out and enjoy a drink. The location is excellent. My family walked down M Street to shop, dined in DuPont and Foggy Bottom, and grabbed the metro to various other neighborhoods throughout the week. Another strength is the service. The bell men and valets were excellent, and the front office staff was very helpful and extremely professional. I know that my family will stay here the next time they're in DC, and I would highly recommend Avenue Suites to anyone looking for a pleasant, convenient stay in the District.

1 Thank krg5036
Mitchell T, Front Office Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Happy New Year Krg5036,

It was such a pleasure to read your fantastic review of the Avenue Suites here in historic Washington DC. On behalf of all of us, we would like to thank you for spending the holidays with us and taking the time to share your experience with all of our TripAdvisor friends. It is our sincere hope that you and your family continue to stay with us for all future Washington DC visits so please contact me directly so I can oversee your stay from start to finish to ensure it is another memorable one.

Best wishes and thanks again,
e-mail: mturow@modushotelsdc.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Spring Lake, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

From the moment we arrived to the moment we departed everything was perfect.
Each and every staff member we encountered could not have been more helpful or more pleasant. Mitch was exemplary of what should be the standard for hotel management, a very high standard I may add.
The room was beautifully appointed and quite spacious. Everything looked brand new. It was lovely.
We will be traveling to the D.C area often and hope to always be able to stay at this location.
It would be difficult to find anything that would not be disappointing to us after being spoiled at The Avenue.

• 5 of 5 stars
Mitchell T, Front Office Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
JSJANJ,

What a holiday surprise it was to read your stellar review on your visit to the Avenue Suites. I very much appreciate your praise to myself as well as the entire team. We are always working on ways to continue to improve our guest service skills so hearing your kind words reassure us that we are headed in the right direction! As I always tell TripAdvisor reviewers, please use my e-mail address below so I can make all future Avenue Suites reservations and thank you personally for your memorable kudos.

I look forward to seeing you again soon,
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Our family of 5 stayed at Avenue Suites from 11 Dec - 17 Dec. The price was reasonable and from the time we arrived we were made to feel welcome. Our room was clean, spacious, modern and to top it off the kitchen was great for when we cooked meals. The front desk staff were aways courteous, willing to help in any way and the dayly cleaning of our room was always done professionally. It is only 5 mins away from Foggy Bottom metro which was handy for when we went sight seeing. We would definetly stay there again and would also recommend to others.

1 Thank Jody B
Mitchell T, Front Office Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Happy Holidays Jody B,

It is wonderful to hear that you got home to Australia safetly and had a wonderful visit to the Avenue Suites. What a pleasure it was to meet you and your family a couple of days ago - we were very sad to see you go but hope that you will come back and see us again soon. Please e-mail me directly so I can make your next reservation with us as memorable as your first one!

Thanks so much and I hope you and your family have a fantastic holiday season.

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Was there last week with family and we stayed for 3 nights before flying home. Great location, and simply love the quaint neighbourhood. Metro a short walk away. Small convenient store just across the road. You'll find many stores, restaurants, bars, and cupcakes not too far away. Enjoyed the evening walk in the neighbourhood. Room is clean and spacious and we have 2 flat screen TV. Stuff were helpful with our luggage and prompt in bring up our car! Maddy is very helpful. Hope to stay again.

• 3 of 5 stars
Greetings WhiskeyCody,

It is so incredible to hear that word of Avenue Suites has reached Singapore! Your review has made us all celebrate however it is Maddy who has been smiling from ear to ear since he heard about your kind words. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor public and I would like to make sure your next trip with us is as spectacular as your first one. Please use my e-mail address below to get in touch with me directly so I can make your reservation and oversee your stay from start to finish.

I look forward to working with you soon,
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times and I have always enjoyed the large suites and the friendliness of the staff. My last stay at Avenue Suites topped any other stay here or anywhere else that I have stayed in DC. The entire staff was always helpful. Mitch and Etta especially went above and beyond the call of duty to help make my stay as nice as possible. I have been traveling to DC to see a doctor, and the Avenue Suites is very understanding of my situation and helps make a bad situation better by their friendliness and their willingness to go above and beyond the other hotels to make me more comfortable. I hope this good review doesn't block me out of a room, though....ha...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Mitchell T, Front Office Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Conniejill,

Thank you so much for taking the time to fill out a TripAdvisor survey and share your experiences at the Avenue Suites with travelers from all over the world! It was such a great pleasure to get the chance to meet you and make your feel at home with us. It makes us so happy to hear that we are your new "go to" hotel when you come to Washington DC. Please go through me directly for all of your future reservations so I can make sure all stays are perfect!

I look forward to speaking with you real soon.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

The remodel of this hotel is great! Good living and bedroom space with nice modern colors and big flat screen TVs. Stayed one week. Friendly staff. 2 blocks to Georgetown, quite a walk to subway. Municipal "tourist" bus stops on same block. Hop-on/off bus stops 2 blocks away at Georgetown Four Seasons hotel. No breakfast is included as it was in the past owners Georgetown Suites. Only complaint could be that the kitchens (full) were painted and new appliances purchased but look really old 1980s. But close the kitchen door and you won't see it.
Will stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Mitchell T, Front Office Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Happy Holidays aybc,

It certainly feels good to have such a positive review from someone who has traveled to so many different cities! I am so glad to hear that you are happy with our newly-renovated hotel and that you were satisfied with our location. You are correct that the bulk of the kitchens do contain appliances from a few years back and we are looking at this as a potential project in the future. Most importantly, your comments about our staff reminds us that we are headed in the right direction towards our goal of service perfection. It is our hope that every time you come back, you will notice something that has been improved until we are 100% flawless! Going forward, I would like the opportunity to work with you directly to book your reservations so I can make sure all future stays are as memorable as your first one!

I look forward to working with you in the future.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

If you're looking for a place to stay in Washington, DC with a great location, service, and accommodations--stop browsing and comparing hotels, you have found an amazing and well rounded venue at the Avenue Suites Georgetown.

Before you read the following review, here is a little bit of a background on me. I lived in Washington, DC for about 4 years in various neighborhoods and much of that time was spent in Foggy Bottom. Now, having moved back to NY, I visit friends in DC at least a few times a year and prior to staying at the Avenue Suites, I was always hunting for a suitable room with location and value at the top of my list. Many hotels in DC will be great in one aspect but suffer in others. In the future, most if not all of my stays in DC will be at the Avenue Suites.

Here's why I believe the Avenue Suites is now my "Go To" venue in DC:

I) Location and Transportation: The hotel is located at 25th Street NW and Pennsylvania Avenue and this uniquely allows guests to be in the middle of everything without actually being in a very busy area. The heart of Georgetown with its busy stores, restaurants, bars, and cupcakes are just minutes away to the West. While downtown DC is just to the East.

The hotel is not exactly located in the heart of Georgetown but more in the transitional area between Georgetown and Foggy Bottom, before you discount and dismiss this hotel because of it is not in the middle of Georgetown, the location is great. This area is a quieter than Georgetown, this means fewer people stumbling out of bars and yelling outside your windows at 2am. There is a Trader Joe's right across the street, a small convenience store (which sells alcohol) about 2 minutes to the East, a CVS Pharmacy about 5 minutes away.

It's location at 25th and Penn also means that the White House is located just 9 blocks away (1600 Penn). The Smithsonian and the Monuments are not very far off and it would be quite easy getting to them by cab, subway, or even walking if the weather is nice.

Most hotels in Georgetown are kind of on a public transportation island: few parking spaces, no vacant cabs, and there is no Metro Access. The Avenue does not share this problem with other Georgetown Hotels, The Foggy Bottom Metro station (Blue/Orange Lines) is located on 23rd Street, buses and the Circulator run along Penn Ave, cabs magically queue up in front of the hotel even at midnight. Street parking is available in the area, you just need to take some time looking for it, but it is one of the easiest places to find a parking spot in the downtown area of any city that I have lived in. Some meters are free during Saturday night and Sunday but check the signs.

II) Rooms and Accommodations: The entrance and the hotel itself is beautiful, furnished in the modern and post modern design. And yes, the hotel is wheel chair accessible. The lobby has plenty of space for guests to sit and can easily serve as a place to meet others. The drinks are not extraordinarily expensive at the bar, and the coffee was on par with many of the boutique coffee shops in Manhattan. The back patio, is a great place to lounge out in when trying to kill some time during a sunny day.

The rooms themselves are wonderful. Very Large and this is where your value is most apparent. The first time I stayed at the Avenue I was given a smaller room, than the other times I stayed.

The smaller room was still enormous. The only downside and differences was that there was no kitchen nor was there a wall separating the bedroom from the living area and "only" one flat screen TV. But the experience was still good enough for me to come back a second time.

The larger rooms feature:

A full kitchen, with: utensils, gas stove, a working oven, microwave, full fridge, silverware, pots/pans, and plates. I didn't do much cooking but with Trader Joe's across the street, it is definitely possible to make a home cooked meal at this hotel.

The Living Area, has a medium sized dinette table with three chairs along with a comfortable and large sofa that is also a sofa bed. a coffee table, large TV mounted on the wall, and a MASSIVE work desk. If you're in DC to do some work, the free WIFI gets decent broadband download speeds and the desk is so massive and welcoming, you will surely be able to get some work done.

The bedroom is in a separate room and I opted for a King Size bed both times I visited--I found the beds very comfortable and not too firm or too soft for my taste.There is a smaller TV mounted in the bedroom. A dresser and plenty of Outlets to plug in all of your numerous devices. The iHome system is offered as an alarm clock and can bluetooth sync your phone, charge an iphone and has a USB socket and aux cable to play music from your devices.

The Bathroom was clean, nothing too out of the ordinary, but the shower heads are a step ahead of the generic hotel bathrooms. The best thing about the bathroom is that there is a separate vanity area that has an additional sink to the one in the bathroom. So if someone needs to use the mirror for makeup/brushing their teeth/whatever they can do so without impeding access to the bathroom.

Lastly, the few interactions I had with the staff were great. Every time I check in, it seems like they're very accommodating. The last time I stayed, I arrived in DC earlier than I expected, but I was able to check in early, leave my bags there and head out.

If you're headed to DC, the Avenue Suites is surely a place you would want to consider.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kenneth E
Mitchell T, Front Office Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Kenneth E,

It means the world to us to read your detailed response about your multiple visits to your "home away from home," the Avenue Suites. On behalf of all of us here, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with all of the TripAdvisor travelers all over the world. I am so glad that I got the chance to meet you during check-in during this visit and look forward to working with you directly in the future. Going forward, please call me directly at 202-464-5609 so I can make your reservations for you and oversee your visits from start to finish.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.