“Otherwise good experience spoiled”

Avenue Suites Georgetown
Ranked #9 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Wellington
“Otherwise good experience spoiled”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I wanted rooms with full cooking facilities and preferably, separate sleeping spaces. Achieved the latter by using the pull out bed in the lounge area.

The thing that really got me going was that at the time I booked, a free continental breakfast was included. While we were there, they changed the policy so that breakfast could now be bough (nothing complimentary) . To be fair, they offered a voucher to cover the remainder of our stay. The value of this gesture was ruined by mean-spirited restrictions on what constituted a continental breakfast.

My wife and I were struggling up the steps with our heavy bags. The bellman decided to be helpful by pointing out that there was a ramp we could use.

The rooms were clean and serviced daily. There was no compendium informing of where things were and how things worked in this hotel.

The hotel is superbly located for access to tourist attractions and Georgetown.

The A-Bar in the lobby is expensive.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor over the entrance. Events outside got noisy.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BHarmer
OpsMgrWas, Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Greetings, and thank you for your review on the Avenue Suites. I am glad to hear that you found the rooms to be spacious and clean with good service being done each day. Also, your comment on the hotel’s location is true, since it is close to so many local attractions in the area. However, I am saddened to hear that other elements of your stay weren’t up to your expectations. We will definitely look into these items and offer feedback to our staff. I hope that this does not deter you from returning to us. We hope to see you again sometime at the Avenue Suites!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Canada
Reviewed July 31, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed in this hotel for a two-night stay. We chose the hotel due to good reviews and its nice location. A few years ago we had stayed at the nearby River Inn for two weeks while on a work assignment and really got to love the area. Nearby Georgetown is wonderful, and in recent years the area around the Foggy Bottom metro station (only a couple of blocks from the Avenue Suites) has had some useful retail additions, including a decent Whole Foods plus some good restaurants. Also, close to the hotel is a Trader Joe's.

The pros for us: -the staff were super friendly and helpful. These folks know how to make you feel welcome, saying hello to us every time we came and went and generally making us feel welcome. That is how you make people want to be in your hotel (as someone who spends around 75 + nights a year in hotels, I know that this kind of behavior makes a difference in my choices).

-the room we had (a one-bedroom unit) was very large and was well kitted out. The rooms looked great and the little kitchen had everything you'd need). This was definitely one of the nicer-looking suites we've stayed in.

On the cons/caveats side: -the walls between suites are very thin. We had quiet neighbours, but we still could hear them talking through the room. It's a shame that in the expensive renovation they didn't beef up the walls a bit. Every once in a while, our headboard would move from someone bumping into something on the other side of the wall. A real shame.

-I didn't like that the windows were completely sealed shut. I know that the climate, especially in summer, really requires windows to be kept shut for cooling, but for me personally I like to open a window to clear the air every once in a while as I'm asthmatic. The air seemed a little stale. I was fine with it for a couple of days, but I wouldn't want to stay in this hotel for much longer.

I've given this hotel a four-star review as the quality of the staff and the very nicely appointed suite really made up for its deficiencies. However, given a choice between this establishment and the River Inn I'll choose the latter on a return visit to Washington. Both are terrific hotels in the end and the RI wins out by a hair for me.

Room Tip: The rooms on Pennsylvania Avenue have nice views (the other side overlooks a parking lot) and the wi...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
OpsMgrWas, Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Thank you for your review on the Avenue Suites! I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed the location of the property. It is ideal for many of DC’s sites, the local Metro system, and shopping as well! The grocery stores are very handy for our guests, especially with kitchens being in the rooms. Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff, we are very proud of the fact that they made you feel so welcome during your visit. Also, I’m glad that you overall enjoyed the suite, especially its large size. We hope to see you again sometime at the Avenue Suites!
Milton, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2012

After a LOT of consideration, we decided on the Avenue Suites DESPITE the lack of pool in July. It is truly an exceptional location- a quick 5 minute walk to the Foggy Bottom Metro (which the kids loved in itself) and more importantly- an easy walk to groceries (Trader Joes across the street), restaurants (our favorite was the Tackle Box), and shopping (Anthropolgie for me; Apple for the kids!) Continental breakfast was included, we bought groceries to make lunch and often had a snack and drink before heading out to dinner. Always great to have a suite for a family- especially when you are staying for a while. Well stocked kitchen with full stove and fridge. Attentive staff. We found a fountain by the river about 5 minutes away that a bunch of kids were running through in their bathing suits and this replaced a pool. We parked our car and never touched it for the 5 days that we stayed there. Great area!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Greetings, and thank you for staying at the Avenue Suites during your visit to DC! You are right that we do not have a pool, however we do provide information on local pools upon request. I’m glad you found an alternative in the fountain at the Georgetown Waterfront! That park is pretty new and has already become a staple in the area. The hotel’s location is perfect for all kinds of shopping, including groceries, which is perfec for the kitchen in your room! It is also ideal in the fact that you don’t have to drive to get places, so I’m glad we could accommodate your vehicle during the stay. Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to having you stay at the Avenue Suites again sometime!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Highly recommended.

Location - Very easy access by car from the Rock Creek and Potamac Parkway. 5-10 minute walk to Foggy Bottom Metro, 5 to 10 minute walk to Georgetown, 20 minute walk to Lincoln Memorial, Circulator bus stops out front, "Big Bus" tour stop is a 5 minute walk away. Neighborhood is urban but green. If you're not a city dweller you might find it a bit noisy at night - won't hurt to get some earplugs.

Features - Spacious, clean,recently renovated. Very effective air conditioning! Separate kitchens, separate bedroom and living room, and a dressing/washstand area separate from the shower/toilet area. (Kitchens counters and applicances are a bit older but are clean, well equiped, and working. I've lived in much worse aparments!) Very comfortable king bed and sofabed. Decent continental breakfast, but don't go looking for a lot of protein. Trader Joe's grocery is across the street if you prefer to make your own lunch and dinner. They have both regular groceries and reasonably priced healthy premade meals.

Services - Hotel staff (desk, bell and cleaning) are friendly, helpful, greet you with a smile.

Value - Average nightly room rate was very reasonable for a hotel in this class.

Summing up - a great "home base" when in Washington.

Room Tip: Rooms on Pennsylvania have a nice view but can be louder.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for your kind words on your stay at the Avenue Suites! The location is ideal for many guests, whether it is by walking, public transport, or car. I’m glad you enjoyed the suite you were in, we get a lot of nice comments about our beds, room size, and the convenience of the kitchen! Guests find a lot of value in their stay with us. We are close to a lot of local restaurants and grocery stores as well, so it’s great you were able to stop by the Trader Joe’s. Also, thank you for your nice comments on our staff! We look forward to your next visit at the Avenue Suites.
Fort St John
Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

Worked great for our family of six (always hard to find rooms that do). Kitchenette very well stocked and practical. Hard to beat for location: short walk to Georgetown and short walk to Metro for everything else. Even worked for us to have a non museum day and take the family to Six Flags. Also a reasonable public pool a short walk away. Courteous, helpful, friendly staff. And breakfast included! Actually, come to think of it why am I only giving it four stars? Based on all this deserves five: will change that.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hello there, and thank you for your nice review of the Avenue Suites! I’m glad to hear that the size of our suites fit your family’s needs perfectly; I know it can be very difficult to find large enough rooms! Guests also love the convenience of having a kitchen in the room, especially with having a Trader Joe’s right across the street. It’s great that you were also able to enjoy the local public pool and Six Flags, many other guests don’t even have this opportunity. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to your return to the Avenue Suites!
NJ
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Room 609: Spacious, very comfy beds, separate bedroom and living area with sofa bed and dining set. Kitchen with full size appliances (needed renovation, looked pretty old, but was very functional and clean). Lacks storage drawers. Only has one armoire to hang your clothes. Bathrooms clean and remodeled. Walking dstance to White House, The Mall, etc. Also walking distance to shops and restaurants in Georgetown. Valet parking.

Room Tip: The kitchen and the extra space (living room) are excellent if you are traveling with little kids or...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Greetings! Thank you for your kind words about the Avenue Suites. Our guests have always loved our large and spacious suites, which are even better now after being renovated! Location is another key aspect of staying at our hotel. The National Mall, the White House, and Georgetown are all walking distance and guests really appreciate that. We look forward to your next visit at the Avenue Suites!
Reviewed July 19, 2012

For my visets to DC i am never going to stay in this place again. I love the location, though it has flaws. There is no pool, that is an issue for my family and i because my kids have no place to chill and hangout after a long day of walking around in the hot weather. Yes there is an outside area with nice umbrellas and benches/chairs but there are ladies bringing carts of garbage by and since it is a restraunt starting at 3:30 PM you cannot hangout there unless you buy food. The building looks old and feels old. The elevators take a long time and in the rooms the TV only has a small selection of chanles, none of which children are interested in. My kids are bored out of their minds and the hotel is no help. I dont like this place one bit. I know there is better in DC.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Lauralovely
Thank you for your review on the Avenue Suites. I am sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant stay at our hotel. Our property does not have a pool, however we are more than happy to provide information on local pools for our guests upon request; pools in the area include one at a sister hotel of the Avenue Suites, as well as a public pool located three blocks north of the hotel. As for the television, my apologies that the channel selection did not meet you and your family’s needs. As you may or may not know, DirecTV and Viacom has contractual issues that effected not just our hotel but 20 millions in the United States. I hope that you were able to speak to the front desk and get more ideas on what to do in the area, including bus tours and local museums (a good air conditioned activity for those hot days!). Again, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your time at the Avenue Suites, we hope you give us a second chance someday.