Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Washington DC-Northeast
Ranked #117 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed January 1, 2010

Family stayed for four nights just after Christmas and was completely satisfied with accommodations. The hotel is less than three years old and has everything young families would need to vacation in DC. They offer shuttle service to and from Union Station every hour from 7 am to 11 pm. You can get anywhere in DC by public transportation from Union Station - and it is a beautiful and historic building.
There is an indoor pool and hot tub that is open until midnight and is perfect for soaking tired feet after a long day in the museums.
Free hot breakfast is served until 10 am and includes eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, cereal, juices, milk and yogurt.
The hotel is not in the best part of town and tries hard to overcome this disadvantage. There are several fast food restaurants nearby the hotel and several other establishments (pizza, Chinese) offer free delivery to the hotel.
The staff is friendly and helpful and will go the extra mile to make your visit comfortable and hassle free.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank termite

Reviewed December 28, 2009

I was somewhat hesitant about making a reservation here, based on the safety issues mentioned in a few other reviews. I phoned first and questioned the very polite front desk person, who seemed genuinely surprised by my questions. But it was the best deal, and the location seemed to work for our very brief visit, so we booked. In hindsight, my only complaint would be the busy intersection where it's located, but that's not the hotel's fault, and we walked across the street only twice. There are pedestrian lights, just be careful and don't dawdle! The hotel was great for the two nights we stayed. Clean, polite staff, quiet, free shuttle that rocked as far as we were concerned (lucky to ride with another couple who did the DC-in-a-day like we were and turned us on to the Hop-On Hop-Off tour buses from Union Station which the hotel shuttle got us to and from). We had no safety issues whatsoever; our car was fine in the parking lot, and I saw cabs coming to and leaving from the hotel. Most importantly, if I'm ever lucky enough to return to DC, I'd stay here again. No hesitation. Thanks for a great time!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hoosierhusker
Reviewed December 27, 2009

What a great hotel this was, we got a very reasonable deal on priceline. I did not think I would get such a nice place but it turned out to be a pretty good hotel (in a not so nice neighborhood). The decor was very contemporary. The rooms and hallways were clean and well maintained. The sheets smelled fresh and were crisp. There was free breakfast and this was not just some raw fruits thrown on the table and cold cereal, they had scrambled eggs, sausage and gravy, yogurt, boiled eggs, english muffins etc. Parking was free. Free Wifi in the rooms. How many hotels can boast of free Wifi. I did not use the shuttle service or the warm swimming pool but this might be something for people staying for longer periods of time. All in all, I had a nice stay and everything was far better than I expected for the price.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank JDLight
Reviewed November 27, 2009

I've been meaning to post this review from our Sept 2009 stay. We were very pleased with our stay here--the cost was a lot less than staying right in the city. The trade-off was that we were not right in the city, but we did not find that to be a negative in that 1) We were walking distance from the National Arboretum (which is really worth a visit) and 2) the shuttles in to the city were frequent. We found the service to be really friendly and professional (front desk, drivers, breakfast staff). The drivers in particular were really accomodating--they were flexible enough to offer to pick us up from the Arboretum and drive another couple to a local restaurant.

The hotel is brand new and everything was very clean. The hotel is located in an area of town that is a little rougher, but the police station is right around the corner, which made us feel safe.

When we travel with our young children, we usually like to stay right in a city and walk everywhere. This time we were traveling without them, so this hotel worked out fine for us as we took the shuttle in to Union Station in the morning, spent the whole day sight-seeing, then headed back via shuttle after dinner. One heads up--there may sometimes be a line for the return shuttle.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank C.Hendon
Reviewed November 11, 2009

I stayed at this hotel with my parents and 10 year old child. We stayed 3 nights and the average cost was $114 per night and parking was $10 per night

ABOUT THE LOCATION: We planned to drive to many of the Washington DC sites, so our hotel did not have to be in the center of town. Driving, it took us about 15 minutes to get to our destinations so the location was perfect for us. The one time we took the Metro (the day we visited the White House and the Bureau of Printing and Engraving ) the trip was quite pleasant. There is a complimentary shuttle bus that takes you to Union Station - it is a 10 minute ride and is offered every hour --- and from there you can hop on the Metro and pretty much get anywhere you need to go. On the return trip, the shuttle comes every half hour (because you are allowed to hitch a ride with the neighboring Fairfield Inn's shuttle) so we did not have to wait too long.

FREE & FUN: Two other great things about this hotel - especially if you have kids....there is a pool (and a hot tub!) and they serve a complimentary full hot breakfast every morning (I was partial to the scrambled eggs and sausage, my child loved the biscuits and gravy) It is all set up buffet style and it is a great way to start a busy day with a group -- no fuss, no wait to be seated or served....and your savings over an extended stay can definitely add up!

NEIGHBORHOOD: This hotel is in a high trafficked commercial area. Within the four corners there is a taco bell, a KFC and a checkers -- not a great place to stroll around, but if you just need a nice, clean, comfy, convenient place to lay your head, this is definitely the place.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank nansterM
Reviewed October 27, 2009

I stayed for four days in this hotel. The room was ok in terms of space and it had a real nice large bed. Everything in the room was ok - only thing to say is that the room was a bit dark with only one window and one night I kept waking up as the main street in this not-so-goog-area is right next door, so I heard police-cars all night long that one night.

Cleanliness: in general ok, but I kept finding some hair in the bathroom after cleaning and since that hair did not go away during my stay i assume that they only clean the sink and bathtub and not the floor?

Fitness: only ok if you want to do some crosstraining or running. Rest is very limited...

Breakfast: Expect limited choices

What is very good is the free internet wireless access!

Location: bad. But there is a shuttle bus. Neigbourhood is not the best.

What is very bad is that the front desk service was very bad. It began with not telling me that you need to sign up for a transportation to downtown. I had an appointment downtown and the front desk person said I will be ok with the next shuttle. After it left full without me he was surprised and only said "oh I thought your room number is different .sorry" and went on working on something else.
Next day I wanted my address on the bill to be changed to my company. Answer "yes, it is ok and changed" - when the bill came it wasnt and it turned out that no one was able to change it. I also asked for a taxi to be arranged for me to the airport. Next day no one new but they promised me to check and call me on my room (where I was working). No one ever called ... they also wanted me to pay for a parking lot allthough I did not have any car. Actually some lazy frontdesk guy even stapled an information about some car on my information?! Finally my "taxi" to airport arrived. The guy did not take credit cards so I either pay 75 Dollar in cash or I miss my flight ...

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 9, 2009

Overall the room was fairly clean, but was way overpriced. Got up at 7 am to shower and once in the shower found the water was just luke warm, not even close to hot. Stuck a couple drinks in the fridge and was wondering why the weren't getting cold. Upon moving all the desks to check the plug found out it was unplugged. The fridge made so much noise I ended up unplugging it again. I paid $284.00 for a room with no hot water. When I told the desk woman she handed my complaints to the GM who was on the phone, he told her to take off the $10.00 parking fee, how generous. I told him that wasn't enough for no hot water and he never hung up the phone to speak to me just said I should have called to have it fixed. I said I was already in the shower and he said that I should have got out and called. What a rude idiot!!! I checked out and stayed at the Days Inn across the street. $118.00 a night and just as nice of a room as the Holiday inn. One other thing, they advertise and I was actually told you can walk out the hotel and your in the National Arboretum, not so,, it's 4 blocks away at least and it's not in a neighborhhod you want to walk 4 blocks in. My suggestion.......Days Inn far better value and, easier access, with a store, dunkin donuts and a burger joint on the same side of the road plus a resturant in the hotel itself.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business