“Eat there!”

Rockville, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Eat there!”
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Great food, wonderful ambiance, excellent service. The chocolate dessert was exceptional as was every dish the 3 of us had. Well worth the price. The only negative is the menu...odd layout.

Visited April 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Date night winner”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Decided to go to HR-57 to listen to jazz. Turns out this great restaurant is right next door. On the weekends you need a reservation-the restaurant is small but the seating was spaced for private conversation. Service was outstanding. the host greeted us by name. the server was very friendly and engaging without hovering. Also both the chef and the bartender came over for a chat and feedback on the cocktails and dinner. the wife and I both loved everything we tried which included the Ward 8 cocktail-bourbon and citrus flavors (not on the menu but recommended by the server), the duck rillete (who knew pomegranate goes so well with duck pate), the diver scallop (cooked to perfection), and the dorade. bottom line, great cooking, beautiful presentation, friendly, and not too expensive.

• Visited March 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very Fun!”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We ate here recently with friends and were very impressed with the way the place is run and the interesting menu. We shared some appetizers and loved the crab fritters. The crispy pork rolls were tasty, but the inside lacked texture. The beef ravioli were really flavorful and delicious, we just wished that the ravioli dough had been a bit more tender. I had the lobster salad, the lobster was sweet and tender and the combination of ingredients was very interesting. I am pretty much a purist when it comes to lobster (usually only in Maine and only with drawn butter) but I did enjoy this as a novelty. Others had the beef three ways and it was done to perfection and flavorful. Another had the dorade and while tasty, wished it was a bit less cooked. I think all of the hot dishes could have been a bit warmer and with a little more salt, but I would still highly recommend going here for the inventive cooking. The wine list is small but interesting, and the craft beer list also small. We had no room for desserts but they looked good. It is a small place so reservations are important. Our waiter was friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. And, wonder of wonders in this day of "eat and get the h... out", we were not rushed and were treated very graciously. The owner/chef even greets you at the door. Do give it a try!

• Visited March 2013
WashingtonDC
“Intimate and classy”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is my favorite neighborhood restaurant. Great food, but they may need to hire more wait staff. They have a good wine selection. The menu changes often, so there is always new things to try.

• Visited February 2013
MD, DC metro
“Foodie Perfection!”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Sixth time dining at The Atlas Room. Always a fine dining, amazingly flavorful experience.

Atmosphere: Classy, and intimate however it is not formal or stuffy. The wait staff is always attentive and knowledgeable. On this visit our waiter was particularly good with suggestions, answering questions, and breaking down descriptions of the specials.

The food. Of course I got the short rib ravioli, and per usual they were melt in your mouth scrumptious! It was my dining partners first visit to the Atlas Room and he thought the ravioli lived up to the hype and more. For his entree he enjoyed the Lamb Duo, once it arrived all conversation stopped. He was into that dish. He stopped momentarily to look up at me and say, "Forget that ravioli, this is the [--]!" Conversation over. I had the fish special, it was divine. I wished I had written this review sooner so that I could tell you what I ate but I don't remember except that it was fantastic and I was happy.

We also had some cocktails. It was an extremely cold night so I had a couple of the Apple Hot Toddies, which were quite delicious. If you have room for dessert, do order something. Atlas offers the best desserts around; unique and all homemade.

• Visited February 2013