“Foodie Perfection!”

Good for: Romantic
MD, DC metro
“Foodie Perfection!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Sixth time dining at The Atlas Room. Always a fine dining, amazingly flavorful experience.

Atmosphere: Classy, and intimate however it is not formal or stuffy. The wait staff is always attentive and knowledgeable. On this visit our waiter was particularly good with suggestions, answering questions, and breaking down descriptions of the specials.

The food. Of course I got the short rib ravioli, and per usual they were melt in your mouth scrumptious! It was my dining partners first visit to the Atlas Room and he thought the ravioli lived up to the hype and more. For his entree he enjoyed the Lamb Duo, once it arrived all conversation stopped. He was into that dish. He stopped momentarily to look up at me and say, "Forget that ravioli, this is the [--]!" Conversation over. I had the fish special, it was divine. I wished I had written this review sooner so that I could tell you what I ate but I don't remember except that it was fantastic and I was happy.

We also had some cocktails. It was an extremely cold night so I had a couple of the Apple Hot Toddies, which were quite delicious. If you have room for dessert, do order something. Atlas offers the best desserts around; unique and all homemade.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank food_chick1

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A fun and special place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

This has become our #1 special occasion place. The imaginative menu, both for cocktails and dinner, is fun and the friendly staff will patiently walk you through the choices of different types and sizes of dishes. The cocktails are imaginitive and very good, even for those like us who don't usually order cocktails. Our waiter even came up with a delicious non-alcoholic cocktail for one of us even though it wasn't on the menu. Each of the dishes we selected were excellent. It's a small restaurant that has a cozy feel. It is pricey but not as much as other restaurants that we don't enjoy as much and it is well worth the cost.

Visited January 2013
“Very good - worth a trip down H for it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

What a great surprise - excellent and creative dishes sized in three different sizes. The lamb bolognese was superb as was the Amish pie. Greek (?) meatballs were very tasty and the roast chicken a surprise hit. Desserts were great, in particular the ricotta donuts, but the tres leches cake can be passed - the one miss of the night. I could go on but you're best off just going. One interesting (and disappointing) aspect is that they don't serve bread. Was told its a money loser, which I believe, and with such a small dining room all costs count. Turns out I didn't mind it.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Excellent Dining at the Atlas Room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

This restaurant was a wonderful surprise. I have had so many over-priced, mediocre restaurant meals that I'd almost given up on eating out. Our family had 4 different entrees and all were terrific, served with excellent vegetables and sauces. My favorite was the lamb. We tried 2 appetizers (lamb meat balls and crab fritters which were good) and 2 desserts (some beignets with lemon curd which were superb and a chocolate dessert which everyone else loved; I'm just not a chocolate person).

If you're from out of town, you might be put off by the neighborhood, which is just "coming up" and still is a bit gritty. I felt comfortable. The restaurant itself is rather plain in decor, but the service was good and the staff very friendly (my husband had trouble with the parking payment system on the street and one of the waiters came out to show him how to use it).

Just down the street is a club called HR57 (I think) that my daughter recommends, a low key jazz place. And I hear there is a biergarten nearby, we just didn't have time to explore any further in the neighborhood. Anyway - highly recommended, and the prices are very reasonable.

• Visited December 2012
Marshall, Minnesota
“Wanted to Eat Thru the Entire Menu!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

We were in D.C. over the Thanksgiving week-end and decided to give the Atlas Room a try - turned out to be one of the highlights of our dining experiences. Chef Bobby does tasty, creative dishes that aren't over the top weird (as some restaurants are). His food has well-balanced flavors, and the option of different portions made for an optimal experience. We tried numerous dishes and would have tried more had we not been so full (because we also HAD to try a selection of desserts which were just as yummy as the main dishes). And oh, the beverages - the bartender has some serious bartending chops - the drinks were superb. We don't get to D.C. often but when we do, we will be back to the Atlas Room. (BTW - we also found the space/decor to be charming and cozy.)

• Visited November 2012