“Paul in Paris is not Paul in DC”
Review of Paul

Paul
Ranked #3 of 57 Bakeries in Washington DC
Cuisines: European, French
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
“Paul in Paris is not Paul in DC”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

When we were in Paris, we went to a cafe in the Louvre Museum called Paul. I had one of the best sandwiches I've ever eaten! The bread was the best (poppy seed long roll with chicken, tomato, lettuce, and some type of mustard that tasted like it had a bit of horseradish in it). When we found out that DC had a Paul restaurant, we were excited to try it out. The restaurant atmosphere was charming, the people working there were very nice, they had regular chairs and comfy chairs with tables, but.....I got the same sandwich but it didn't taste the same. The bread had so many poppy seeds on it (almost the entire bottom of the bread was covered) and yet I couldn't really taste it. The bread itself was very hard. It was "a chore" to chew and swallow it! My husband had a different sandwich. The bread wasn't hard but it wasn't delicious either. He also had an espresso. He said it wasn't as good as Starbucks. I knew it wouldn't be quite the same in DC, but I was disappointed. The desserts were pretty good. The prices weren't bad for DC. I really went there hoping for some outstanding bread. I was disappointed.

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Wow”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I love this place!

The pastries and coffee are excellent and the staff is very outgoing and friendly.

PAUL was quite a walk from my hotel. I was so blown away that I made the trip every morning for the rest of my visit to DC.

Next time I'm in the district, I'm definitely going back.

Visited December 2012
Blandon, Pennsylvania, United States
“Expensive, but worth it.”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I had the hot dog, believe it or not. Fantastic. On a baguette. With cheese, mustard and bechamel! Which was actually TWO hot dogs. I can never get the napoleon, they are always out. The rum pastry was tasty, as were all the mousse flavors! Tough to get a seat. Plan is to seat first, then have someone go order. They bring it to your table when it's done. Got the last bowl of French Onion soup at 3 PM.

New Berlin, WI
“Tasty French Sandwich”
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Paul was packed at 2pm and there was no where to sit but the sandwiches were great and staff was friendly nd quick. If you are craving a French baguette filled with meats and cheeses that you won't get at the local chain sub shop this is the place to go. The pastries looked good as well, but didn't taste.

Estonia
“Good food | "Surprising" service”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Ordered a potato pancake and a waffle. Paid and signed the receipt. Turns out no pancakes left - browse through the menu again - waitress announces found some pancakes afterall. Good news. Meanwhile friend gets wine in dirty glass. Takes 10 min to get new glass. Sat down. Waitress announces no waffles left. Recommends pancake instead. Asks for more money. Friend not pleased. Waitress brings money back. Food very good.