“Decent, but nothing special”
Review of Distrikt Bistro - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Distrikt Bistro
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I wasn't overly impressed with this restaurant. Granted, there are surprisingly very few Glatt kosher places to eat in Washington, but for the price we expected something better. The atmosphere is below average as it is basically a few tables and chairs in the corner of the Jewish Community Center's basement lobby. If you didn't look carefully enough you might mistake it for a sitting or reading area. (Keep in mind that you need to go through a brief security checkpoint before entering.)

The service was OK and our waiter was friendly and helpful. However, the restaurant's computer system was apparently down on the evening we visited and we were given a handwritten bill, with the only choice of paying in cash or leaving a credit card number to charge via email, which we did not want to do.

As for the food, it was pretty good. We both ordered the farfalle grilled chicken which was tasty, but the portion was small for a dinner meal. They were out of almost all of the desserts so we settled on nothing, which was disappointing because there was no side dish served with the entree - you just get the main dish and no other food with it like a salad or fries, unless you want to pay extra. We did however order an appetizer of tortilla chips with guacamole before the meal which was delicious.

The price was pretty expensive considering the amount of food and the atmosphere. I'd probably come back here if there was nowhere else to eat, but unfortunately I wouldn't make it a first choice.

Reviewed January 9, 2012

We have been to this strictly kosher restaurant several times and really enjoy the food. Although the menu is small, there is always something for everyone. I would recommend it.

Reviewed December 21, 2011

Went here for lunch. A bit difficult to find unless you know that it's located in the Jewish Community Center. A bit of an effort going through security, but once you're in, you're in. Very pleasant setting. Food follows a Mediterranean theme. Menu is varied and reasonably priced until you look at entree which are a tad expensive. Food was very good as was the service. Would definitely recommend and go here again.

1  Thank NJ_Visitor
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I was staying in DC and this restaurant was a block away from my hotel so I decided to try it out. I was very pleasantly surprised at how the food was so unbelievably tasty and the portions were generous. I highly highly recommend the chimichuri steak which was one of the best steaks I've tasted in my life! The manager, the waiter, and the especially the chef Kendall were all very friendly and service was quick and efficient. Prices were also reasonable!

Reviewed September 5, 2011

This kosher restaurant is located in the Jewish Community Center on the ground floor. There are about 15 tables, all beautifully set. The food was wonderful. There is a nice variety of meats, poultry and fish to choose from - as well as appetizers, soups and salads. There are no dairy choices. The waiters were great. My husband's steak was not as well done in the middle as he liked so they put it back on the grill, no questions asked. The portions were nice sized. My sister, who is on a very strict diet, ate here and they were very accommodating to her requirements. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone (kosher or non-kosher) and would definitely revisit thie restaurant on my next visit to the area.