“Great Hotel!”

Ranked #58 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
A TripAdvisor Member
Queens, NY
Reviewed March 13, 2006

My children and I stayed here for a weekend recently. It is centrally located across the street from the Metro (a 17 min and $1.35 trip from the airport). The room was very spacious and clean, microwave and fridge were so convenient!! Close all sites. Eating tip-there is a all you can eat Chinese Buffet (City Buffet of China), located a few blocks away (on 14th Street off of L Street) that is very economical. The pool was ideal for relaxation-just the right height for the kids. The hotel staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. Did not hear any noise in the hallways of the hotel. Would definitely stay here again!!!

• Stayed: March 2006
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown

Reviewed March 6, 2006

My wife and I spent last weekend at the Hilton Garden Inn on 14th Street. The hotel is located directly across the street from the McPherson Square Metro stop, making it very convenient to all the downtown restaurants and sites. The continental breakfast was excellent and included homemade waffles with fresh blueberries, raspberries, and black berries. The rooms are spacious and the handicapped rooms extremely accessible. The hotel offers parking at $24 a night. We parked the car the whole time we were in town and took advantage of the Metro. I highly recommend Tosca's Italian restaurant. We celebrated our 34th anniversary there and couldn't have chosen a better restaurant. The food was outstanding and the service tremendous. The restaurant's 3 course fixed price pre-theater $32 menu from 6-8PM is terrific and offers a lot of variety. We lived in Italy for 3 years and thought this Italian food was the best we have had outside of Italy!

4  Thank Suppo28
Reviewed March 3, 2006

I travel to D.C. often and this was the first time I stayed with the Hilton Garden Inn. The rooms are spacious enough and the hotel is very clean. They have a breakfast buffet that is wonderful. However, my experience with the buffet was not good. First of all, by no fault of the hotel, some kid threw up in the middle of his meal and instead of removing him from the dining area, his parents cleaned the vomit off the floor and kept eating. Eventually, the kid threw up again. The entire time we were seated in the dining area, no one waited on us. I then looked around and saw that the rest of the tables had waiters. To the hotel's credit, I complained to the manager and he was absolutely fabulous in his response to the issue!

Later that night, we ordered room service. I ordered a turkey sandwich and a cup of lobster bisque. Two minutes later, I called back and ordered a lobster bisque for my boyfriend. What I received was a turkey and ham sandwich (I do not eat pork!) and one lobster bisque. Room service said they would return with a second lobster bisque, but he never did.

The bottom line is that this is a great place for budget travelers and business travelers who will only use the room to sleep.

I would not stay here again because I do not pay for bad service. Further, serving pork to someone who does not each it for religious purposes is actionable in a court of law.

• Stayed: March 2006
Reviewed February 20, 2006

Our group was 2 couples from nyc, ages 24-26. We are a laid back, travel loving group and booked the hilton based on trip advisor reviews and the price - $89.00 NET DIRECT rate via the hilton site.

Rooms were nice sized and very clean. They also featured a small fridge, coffee maker and microwave which all come in helpful.

Check inn was smooth and parking is expensive at 24.00 a day, but hey your downtown in center city. Would have been even more back home in nyc.

The location is GREAT for sight seeing, and OK for nightlife. It is literally a 4 minute walk to the WhiteHouse and 10 min walk to all the other stuff.

For nightlife try Georgetown or Adams Morgan, about a 10 dollar cab ride away. So much to do.

All in all, place is great for the rate - UNDER $100
I would stay there again. I didn't eat at the little restaurant, it looked kind of boring. I did have a few drinks at the bar however.

There is an EXCELLENT brunch spot a few blocks away called OLD EBBETTS GRILL. The place is intense.

Also try Capital City Brewery, about a 5 minute walk away. 3-6pm every day is half price drinks and half price apps!

There is a lil sundry shop in the hotel open 24hrs and things are overpriced they but hey if you really need something at 2am....!

Bottom line: If you are there for the DC sites or downtown business, this is your place. If you are there for nightlife try the Jury's in Dupont Circle.

9  Thank syrus16
Reviewed February 19, 2006

My husband and I spent a wonderful weekend at this hotel on February 3rd to the 4th. We didn't notice any noise, other than perhaps a door opening or closing every now and again, and even that was very faint (I have sensitive hearing). The bed was comfortable and the bathroom clean and roomy. We were on the 4th floor and we looked out onto the street--it was a great room! The only thing that bugged me was that there was no continental breakfast and the breakfast we did get wasn't all that tasty. Says nothing about the hotel overall, but I thought I should mention it.

The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly. I even called on the road while we were making our way there, and asked if I could check in a little earlier. They said "no problem, see you at 1:00". Check-in took about 5 minutes (or less, really) and we were off to our room.

The hotel is right across the street from McPherson station (Metro). We took the Metro about 2 stops and we were at the Smithsonian wandering around. Lovely! I'd most definitely stay here again.

6  Thank MagMagoo
Reviewed February 18, 2006

GREAT HOTEL!! After a lenghty research for a good DC hotel I'm sure glad I picked this one. This hotel is almost directly across the street from a metro station, which is the preferred mode of transportation. They offer a wonderful breakfast buffet with fresh fruit(including black, blue, strawberries), eggs cooked to order, bacon and eggs, etc.. HINT if you are a Hilton member this is complimentary to two people each day, otherwise it will cost about $12-$13 per adult over age 12. You can become a Hilton member via phone or computer. I think ------ at no charge. I was not aware of this. ALSO, you can pay an additional $11 to your stay and receive the same. (Which was what we did). All and all very clean, friendly workers. Also note the location is near some good restaurants one in particular, Georgia Brown's" very good but my martini was $10!!! Oh my! Also we walked to the Smithsonian's everyday unless we were too tired. Only downfall was the swimming pool was on the smaller side 3'-5' deep and little, but good for kids. Also the water was cold. It was a great stay that we were very happy with so go and have fun!!! We will be back!!

7  Thank riarose
A TripAdvisor Member
Bella Vista, AR
Reviewed January 5, 2006

My family and I stayed there for four days over January 1st 2006. It has an excellent location, directly across from the subway, and contrary to the other reviews on this site, I found the staff very helpful, especially when my teenager sprained her knee fooling about on the subway. The rooms were clean. The in hotel restaurant was a bit pricy, but there was a good cheap restaurant that did breakfast directly across the street at the subway stop. I never got a chance to check out the pool and hot tub, as we were quite busy sightseeing. As to the Smithsonian, we went there by subway. It is the most sensible method of transportation in Washington

• Stayed: January 2006