“Very average”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown
Ranked #58 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed March 3, 2009

Although this Hilton sits in an ideal spot bang in the middle of Washington, my review isn't going to make you instantly want to stay here.

The good points......
• Location is perfect, across from Metro stop and less than 10mins walk to White House
• Lobby is nice with free internet room for guests
• Superb breakfast
• Room walls are well soundproofed

The bad points......
• Free Coffee service in lobby stops after breakfast!!!
• Pool is tiny, with kids in it there's no room for adults
• Annoying fruit flies buzzing around the breakfast room
• Room very dark, poor/bad placed lighting
• Climate control air con machine is big annoyance
• Bathroom old fashioned, shower fixing broken
• Beds are way too hard, and duvet full of dust

So, there are too many issues here. I have to say I felt the staff were hardly welcoming or helpful too. This is probably due to the hotel being geared towards the business sector - but for me, it falls midway between tourist and business, and somehow falls short of my high Hilton expectations.

So no return for me then.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank chris036
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown

Reviewed February 19, 2009

Well, let's start with the heater that had a lock on it so I couldn't turn the fan off without help from maintenance. That took an hour and two visits from maintenance. Then let's get to the drunk guest across the hall -- yes, the one I called the front desk about, whose response was to contact the police, who then woke me up a SECOND time to escort the guy out. Why do hotels insist on getting drunkard arrested? Flash forward to 5 a.m., when my room overlooking the back alley echoed with the sounds of the city garbage truck emptying the dumpster. The staff were less than apologetic about the whole thing. The only thing I can say in the hotel's favor is that at least I wasn't paying for the sleepless night. But I am a huge fan of the Hilton chain (even have the Hilton Honors Amex card) and they let me down in a major way this time.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 18, 2009

PROS: Clean room, helpful staff, plenty of room for 3 adults

CONS: Noisy due to thin walls, window views of brick walls

My wife, myself, and a family friend recently stayed at this hotel for a few nights and overall it was an average experience. This hotel is very clean and nice, but the walls are so thin that you can hear everything in neighboring rooms. I'd say that our neighbors were just being loud, but we could hear small noises like keys being set on tables, curtains opening, etc. (which can be very annoying at 3am).
Our view (or lack thereof) was also quite disappointing, which was of a brick wall 3 feet from the window. Fortunately, we didn't have to spend a lot of time there and instead filled our days with sight seeing. However, I was happy to find our room quite spacious with a desk and plenty of room to work, even though we had double beds and an armchair in the room. All in all, this stay was average, neither good nor bad.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cheapstay
Reviewed January 7, 2009

Just returned from visiting D.C. and had an awesome time! This hotel was in a great location and a short walk to everything. The hotel was clean, beds comfortable, service friendly, and price was very reasonable. The location was the feature our group was concerned most with and we were very happy with our choice. It's only about a 15 minute walk to the National Mall (American History Museum side), the Washington Monument, Chinatown, etc. The Capitol which is on the far side of the mall took about 45 minutes (an easy walk though). Our favorite sites were the Museum of Natural History , the Air and Space Museum, the Monuments, and we really enjoyed the Capitol tour too. D.C. is a great walking city-we didn't ever feel that we needed to use the Metro, we felt safe and it was really easy to navigate. We walked to Chinatown almost every night for dinner as there are numerous choices. Some notable places we enjoyed were Mehak (Indian), & Kanlaya (Thai), both exceptional eateries with reasonable prices. In the downtown area we stumbled across M & S Grill for happy hour (5-7PM). Although a chain, this place doesn't feel like it and the food quality was great. They offer great burgers and appetizers for only $2 with a two drink minimum. Harry's bar was a fun place to grab a few beers too. They have excellent burgers too and a friendly, laid back atmosphere. Avoid Oyamel in Chinatown(Mexican tapas)-way overpriced and really nothing special, didn't enjoy much of anything we tried there.

Loved D.C. so much and very happy with this hotel choice. Would certainly choose again if available : )

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank BWJ08
Reviewed December 5, 2008

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Nov 26-30 2008. Checked-in quickly. The staff was very polite and helpful. The desk clerk immediately explained how to connect our computer to wireless internet. The room was clean and spacious enough, as was the bathroom. Everything worked properly - the TV, wireless, coffeemaker, etc. The only objection I had to the otherwise very clean room was that there was a bit of dust inside the coffeemaker, as it obviously wasn't used in a while. Coffee and tea in the room are complimentary.
Hotel has valet parking for $ 30, which is standard for DC. The staff usually requests ten to fifteen minutes to get the car, but in reality, they bring the vehicle very quickly.
On the day of departure they leave you your final bill in the room, and if everything is OK, you can just call the front desk to say you're leaving, and there is no reason for stopping at the exit. I wasn't sure about a charge on my bill so I called to see what it was, and the staff called me back within minutes to explain the charge (turns out the fault was mine not theirs, as I forgot paying for something).
The hotel has a gym and pool. We didn't use either of the facilities, though I did see the pool which is relatively small.
The location of the hotel is very good, it is just two blocks from the White House, and about ten minutes walk to the national mall.
My overall experience was very good, with good service and polite staff.

5  Thank SashaCT
Reviewed November 27, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for three days to do a sightseeing tour of DC. The room was very nice, with a comfortable bed and very clean. The bathroom was your typical Hilton type bathroom and was clean as well. I had a view of a brick wall but did not really mind since I had not requested a particular view anyway. Housekeeping was great and we had one minor maintenance issue which was promptly addressed without a problem.
Front desk staff was helpful and informative as well.

I thought the price was good after comparing it to other hotels and it is only a few blocks to walk to the Washington Monument/White House area, so it is very convenient for sightseeing in the mall area. The area also appeared to be clean and safe.

I was not crazy over the charges for parking but apparently you have to pay that wherever you stay in DC. I read in previous reviews that people were nervous over homeless people in the area. As with any large city you will find homeless people but I did not think that it was more of a problem than any other major city that I have visited. I felt safe enough to walk around at night and did not have any problems.

I would definitely stay here again.

Oh and one more note - I found that the net direct rate for this hotel was actually less than the AAA rate when I was booking through Hilton's website so I saved about $40/night that way. So be careful with booking as AAA rate is not always the cheapest anymore apparently.

3  Thank lpd5329
Reviewed November 25, 2008

My wife and I booked this hotel for a small getaway weekend before the holidays. I have never been to D.C. so we thought this would be the perfect weekend.

The Hilton Garden Inn is located right across from the Metro, which is very convenient. We took the Metro back to the airport for $2.00. From the airport it was 16.00 for a cab. Take the Metro right from the airport! I was worried (chicken) to take the the Metro from the airport when we arrived but don't it's so easy and the attendants in the booth are very nice and are very nice about telling you which train to take if you have any doubt. Anyways, once you exit the Metro, Hilton Garden Inn is right across the street.

The hotel is nice when you walk in, checked-in in less than 5 minutes and in my room less than 10 minutes after arriving. When we opened the door to our room they had some classical music playing softly. We had a king-sized bed which was comfortable. Sheets were clean, but had one or two stains of lipstick (not my wife's color) or could have been blood? But they were changed as well as the mattress sheet the next day. I was too tired to complain after walking the National Mall and it really didn't bother me, I just switched the sheet around. The A/C unit kicked on by itself even though it was switched off! We think room 807 is haunted!

The room was a pretty big room. It had a microwave, refrigerator, LCD television, basic channels. There are really no restaurants within walking distance except for an over priced Italian Restaurant named Tuscana (For pizza hut personal pan-sized pizza and two soups I paid $32.00), some other restaurants that closed early and I never saw anyone in them anyway. As a matter of fact everything closes early. There was a McDonald's a block a way behind the Hilton. Quick walk but the McDonald's is full of homeless people. Don't eat there just order and take it back to your room. It bothered me a little because some had a few screws missing and they were really dirty. I lost my appetite trying to have breakfast one of the days. There is a CVS down the street, my advice buy some snacks and take them back to your room. I did notice a little noise from the room next door, they had a child but it was tolerable.

Room service would have been good but the Quesadilla did not taste good at all. My wife hated it and when I tasted it the beans tasted somewhat "mechanical." If you know what I mean. Mobley burger was good. We paid $59.00 for a burger, bad tasting quesadilla, two sodas, and a dessert. They do have these delicious cookies in the lobby that are free to guests. Very good. There was a place called the Corner Bakery, south of the Hilton go there for breakfast. Inexpensive and it is very good.

Overall this hotel is in a great location for the Metro, and the sights are within walking distance. Five-minute walk and you're at the White House. A 10-minute Metro ride and you're at the Arlington Cemetery. Take advantage of the Metro, it even drops you off right in the middle of all the smithsonian museums. We would go back to the Hilton Garden Inn, for the money ($99/night) and great location.

3  Thank DOS-travelers