“Excellent Hotel Near White House” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown

Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown
Ranked #57 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Tulsa, United States
“Excellent Hotel Near White House”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

The location was excellent. Near White House and not far from the National Mall. Across the street from the Orange Line - which means easy to get to the National Airport or West Fall Church to catch bus to Dulles. Room was great. Had no problems with the Internet service. Lobby was welcoming and festive, with ice water and coffee available. Good food choices nearby.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

2 Thank Adam K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

I was a little worried when I saw earplugs being offered, that it might be loud. I didn't wear the earplugs, and slept just fine. The view was not good, just an alley. I was on the 12th floor at the end of a hall. I enjoyed a complimentary green apple upon arrival. The fitness center was small but not overcrowded. The heart rate monitor did not seem to work on the treadmill. They have a couple elliptical machines, two treadmills, stationary bike, free weights, a multiple-function cable machine with pull-up bar, and some medicine balls.

I wish the room service had been open later, but I found something to eat in their suite shop.

WIFI wasn't real fast, but it was free. Breakfast wasn't included. There is a nice coffee maker, and quality soap & shampoo. The room was clean.

Very close to a metro station, and the Whitehouse!

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Zondervan
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

This hotel was amazing we stayed here with our family and loved every minute of it. The concierge Linda was amazing she was very helpful and gave us excellent information. Shannon in the restaurant was fantastic very attentive and friendly. The rooms were clean and modern and I loved the bed so comfortable the option to make the mattress softer and firmer is an excellent touch. We also loved the complementary tea and coffee in the foyer,and the coffee/tea machine in the rooms. Great location within walking distance to the national mall and lots of fantastic restaurants around the hotel. Defiantly recommend family or business person to stay here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank laryssamontgomery
Gainesville, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

This hotel is a few blocks from the White House and about 1 mile from most of the DC monuments and museums. It's also across the street from the McPherson Square Metro Station and around the corner from a bus terminal.
There are several restaurants, supermarkets, and convenience stores within a mile including Cosi (right next door), Pret a Manger, Starbucks, CVS, and Whole Foods Market. All are within walking distance but for farther distances you also have the option of taking the bus or a taxi.
Not all the rooms have incredible views. We were originally placed in a fourth floor room on the interior of the hotel, facing other rooms and overlooking the A/C units. We asked to be moved to a street view room on a higher floor and were accommodated quickly. The noise from the street can be loud at times but it was worth it for the improved view.
The rooms are a decent size and have small refrigerators, microwaves and Keurig machines.
The staff were friendly and helpful especially the housekeepers and concierge. I would definitely consider staying at this hotel again for my next visit to DC.

Room Tip: I would recommend requesting a higher floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank tiamarie09
Rockaway, New Jersey, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

We decided to stay at the Hilton Garden Downtown for the last weekend of the Cherry Blossom Festival due to its close proximity to the monuments. It was a rough start, completely booked and the 2 bed room I had requested were already taken. They gave us a rollaway for no extra charge which was adequate for a child but would have been awfully uncomfortable for an adult. Then I noticed the adjustable mattress was broken. However maintenance and housekeeping staff were extremely accommodation and replaced the mattress immediately. After that it was smooth sailing. Overall the room was clean and quiet, the replaced mattress very comfortable and the food at the downstairs restaurant was delicious! Within blocks to the White House and monuments. It's also a great family hotel and they were great with kids. All in all a solid place to stay!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Eccrevisse
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

Ok so let me start of by listing the pros of staying here. It has a kuerig tea maker, which made my girlfriend quite happy, and they were the cheapest hotel in the city. END OF PROS.
CONS we had a view of a brick wall, most of the appliances, phones etc, are extremely out dated, the keys are still mag strip not RFID. If you stay here you are asking to be robbed. Lastly and most atrociously the staff of the hilton garden inn are completely and entirely incompetent. I arrived for check in around 3am to a locked hotel and had to bang on the door to get whoever was sleeping behind the desk to open up (I had already called and warned I would not be in til that time). Furthermore do not try calling this hotel from your room, they will not answer. I called hoping I could have something brought up to my room, but after a solid 10 minutes of nothing but ringing I went downstairs to find 2 staff members front desk and concierge doing absolutely nothing. Except for the front desk agent who was clearly on his cell phone.
In summation do not be fooled by the rating they pay for and do NOT stay at this hotel. My next stay in DC will be anywhere but here.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JoshyRates
HGIDC, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear JoshyRates,

We’re sorry we didn’t provide the high quality of services you deserve.

The doors of the hotel are secured after midnight though guests can access the hotel by using their room key. We do ask for guests not registered to confirm their name before gaining access. I recognize this is not the most welcoming experience and work to improve the process.

You mentioned your concern about the validity of the key system, though there have been no breaches with our specific manufacturer or model. We removated the the guestrooms two years ago. We provide a microwave and mini refrigerator in every room.

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectation but a hotel can not "buy" a rating on TripAdvisor. We do our best to meet the expections of all our guests and would like the opportunity to speak directly to your concerns.

I may be reached at 202-783-7800.

Thank you.
south florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

I totally forgot to review our selected hotel for our Washington DC September 2008 trip. This hotel was the perfect location for us. Walking distance to many of the sites and most importantly right across from the metro station (event though a little thrown back at the amount of homeless people laying about).
Check-in was professional and a breeze. The rooms were very comfortable and clean and they provided tea coffee etc. in the lobby on most days.
I would stay here again on a next visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple