“Long weekend visit”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown
Ranked #58 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

I am glad we chose HIlton Garden Inn, it is conviniently located near a Metro Station, little restaurants around it... Furthermore, the staff is friendly and very helpful!
Facilities are nice and properly mantained, the size of the room is great...

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank daobsa
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown

Reviewed April 30, 2014

We stayed at the Hilton Garden during the weekend of the Cherry Blossom Festival and couldn't have been happier with both the service and location. The hotel is located within walking distance of all the major sites of D.C. The subway system is located right across the street for easy access to everywhere in the city. We took the subway on arrival to head over to Arlington Cemetery, but when leaving the cemetery we decided to walk to the Lincoln Memorial and then on to the other monuments that afternoon before returning to the hotel. All on foot. In fact, the only other time we used mass tram was when returning to Union Station. And we caught all the sites in around the district by foot. White House, Capitol, Smithsonian Museums, Jefferson Memorial, Washington Monument, and more. In addition to the location, the breakfast was excellent and the concierge service hooked us up with a great night tour of the D.C. I would 100% recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the capitol area.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank monksters
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I stay at a lot of Hilton Family Hotels and there were a few things that kept this location from being an excellent stay. Even in most low level Hampton Inn's there are typically a pair polycarbonate or glass cups where as this one only had waxed paper cups. It was no fun to find your desk covered in coffee after 3 hours from the paper soaking through. This happened multiple times over the weekend with both my coffee and water, made for a mess and made the room feel cheap. The simplistic HVAC controls did not allow for anything besides temperature control and I was never able to get my room down to the temperature I prefer. Also due to poor ventilation in the restroom the room began very muggy as the moisture couldn't escape and the HVAC failed to lower the humidity. Other than that the room was very clean and in good order. I experienced no outside or hallway noise during my stay, which helped for a quite night. The included microwave and refrigerator which are sometimes not included at downtown locations provided great convenience. Some staff members at the front desk were a bit snippy and condescending, but some were friendly so that is a draw. Location near many of the sights, restaurants, and the metro was the main plus at this stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BluedPlatinum
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Delightful hotel with wonderful staff - from the valet to the concierge. Talking of the concierge, Linda went out of her way to make our stay wonderful. She found us three top-class restaurants for dinner and was incredibly helpful with other suggestions. Request to management: Please give her a chair - she's standing all day!! Our room was scrupulously clean, if a little on the small side - and no view. But we loved it.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Philbunt936
HGIDC, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and interactions with Linda!

Hilton Garden Inns normally do not provide a concierge service so the set-up in the lobby is temporary at this point. We will come up with a more appropriate work environment.

Thank you once again and hope you come back soon!

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Stayed here for 6 days and you would think that there would be SOME problems during that length of stay. Not so! The staff were helpful and seemed happy in there work. There were enough staff to maintain such a big hotel and it was a joy to stay here.
The breakfast and dinner space, food, and service were a quiet oasis in this busy city. And you can walk to the Mall or the convention center from here.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank honeygee

Awesome!

We have made a focused effort to make our hotel more family friendly. We have all the amenities in place but needed to prepare our staff with facts and recommendations for families and glad we were able to assist.

We hope to see you again soon! We have great summer rates in late July and August!

Reviewed April 28, 2014

I stayed here one night for the Nike Half. I was on the 12th floor in a King bedroom. The room was large and clean with a very nice setup with fridge, microwave, Keurig coffee and a safe. The also had two pairs of ear plus which I have never seen at a city hotel. Since I bring my own ear plugs I didn't use theirs. Also, that was one major plus for this room, it was not on the street. The staff upon arrival were friendly and efficient. The location is awesome for any tourist. There was no Splenda in the room so I had to ask the CS in the lobby. They were also having wine specials which saved money instead of ordering with room service for dinner. When I got to my room the front desk called to make sure the room was good. They also called later to ask if I needed a wake up call (did not realize they still did that). For dinner I got room service, the Chicken Marsala. I asked if it came with bread (come on, it is pasta) and they said no but they would put something on there. They gave me 3 buttermilk biscuits which was nice. The pasta dish was a good size and had 2 small chicken breasts, spinach, pine nuts and wild mushrooms in a cream sauce and was OK. I say that because it was blander than water. IF I was not running the next day I would not have been very unhappy, but bland the night before is a good thing. Overall the room and hotel is very nice EXCEPT for two major things. First the bed was next to the window which held the air unit, if it was winter it "probably" would not have been a big deal but since it was warm enough to have A/C on, it blew right onto the bed and made it an ice bed. Second, the bed was HORRIBLE. Not sure if it was just old and sagging or just extremely soft, but wow.....I felt like I was sleeping in a ball. I weigh a buck 35, so it was not me. So, after only getting 5 hours of sleep due to being uncomfortable for 8 hours, I ran my race and then came back and enjoyed the "cooked to order" breakfast before heading out. No bill under the door like other hotels, so I just use the zip check out on the phone.

Room Tip: High floor, OFF the street.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank mln76

Thank you for your detailed review!

We actually put the pasta special in place for runners of the Nike half marathon. We wanted to provide carbs with a low fat protein but had to keep mind that everyone's tastes differ. The bed is actually a sleep number mattress meaning that you can set the firmness of the mattress. We have made an effort to reduce the number collateral pieces in the room; we should put that one back in!

Thank you for your remarks. They do help us get better!

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Don't let the Hilton Garden Inn brand name fool you - this is a fine hotel for business in the District. It is definitely a bit less in price than the grand old hotels with the huge lobbies. Not being one to have much use for a big lobby I was just fine with this hotel - the front desk staff was very helpful and friendly. The room was comfortable, modern and very clean. And as many have said this is a great location right in the middle of the action - I had multiple business clients and this was centrally located.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Thank you!

We know we can not compete with some of the historic hotels around us however our goal has always been to offer a clean modern room at a reasonable price, and provide great service. To service, I want to be the "Fun" hotel in DC and be an oasis to the stresses of Washington.

Please come back and see us again.