“Excellent service during snow storm”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown
Ranked #56 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed February 22, 2014

The staff at the hotel are extremely helpful and flexible. I was caught on work travel during a snow storm that closed both Dulles and National airports. I had to change my reservation multiple times as flights were cancelled, rebooked on different days, cancelled again, and so on. The staff was fantastic and always found a way to make things work despite a challenging situation.

I stay in DC about one week each month for work and know the hotel options well. This is my favorite DC hotel. The hotel is very conveniently located directly across from McPherson Square Metro, wifi is reliable, breakfast is good, and the and rooms are clean. You can find DC hotels with more ornate facades and front lobbies, but you won't find a hotel with better staff.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Dan M
Write a ReviewReviews (3,049)

Reviewed February 19, 2014

I must say that the hotel staff especially the restaurant are some of the best staff in DC. I was one of the many people in dc that were "Trapped in the city" because of the snowstorm that shut down the city...(Go figure DC found another excuse to shut down).
We were looking for a place to eat as many places were closed that day for lunch and dinner and The Grist mill came up on Yelp and after reading the reviews of the Restaurant and than the hotel we decided to come there.
I have to say that we received some of the best service that we have received to even include 5 stars hotels. Everything from the valet guys, the front desk, and especially the restaurant staff were friendly and really wanted to make sure i had a good time considering we were all stranded.

Many people think hotel restaurants are just hotel restaurants but this is not the case of the Grist Mill, the Staff is great. Jojo makes a killer manhattan and suggested some different ingredients to make the drink.....Than we had dinner in the restaurant where we had Genaro as our server, what fun he is, friendly, just a ball of joy....he made our dinner very special. I was also the fun that we had with the Food & Beverage Director George Hummel was just as friendly, he was talking to everyone, kept my little girl in such a good mood as this was her first trip to dc and the snow did not help.....he came out with a big jar of candy let her pick the candy. Everyone there made sure we had a good time even if they were not taking care of us directly. The Dinner and the staff were all that we talked about on the plane ride home.
you can tell that everyoneenjoys working there. there are not many places that make you feel home away from home and this is one of them...if you stay at the hotel dine in the Grist Mill the staff is great, the food is great and the hotel is one of the best!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank thomas j
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Good value for your money.
Close to everything and very nice and helpful front desk. They helped me trought one of the worst times of my life and all I can say is: "Thank you, you were wonderful!" I sure do wish there were more properties like Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Washington DC.
Rooms are big enough and clean and nicely appointed. I never waited long for the elevators.
Pret-a-manger is across the street.
I recommend this great property with great people to everyone.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TamiTravel
Reviewed February 18, 2014

The guest service at this hotel was fantastic. The front desk quickly adapted to repeated snow emergencies making sure the guest were taken care of. The hotel is centrally located to all tourist sites, but easy access to the metro made it ideal for business. I still think the hotel staff made this stay especially memorable.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Reviewed February 18, 2014

My girlfriend and I was in town for the weekend to see a comedy show. I chose this property number one for the location. It was in walking distance of all the DC historic landmarks and plenty of eateries. There was nothing "wow" about the room, however the beds were extremely comfortable and the staff was exceptional friendly. I loved the lobby. It hosted a small sundries store and complimentary tea and coffee set up. Very warm and hospitable. My only complaint was the water pressure. The faucet water had more pressure then the shower however with so many other pleasantries I can not hold this against them. This will be my choice property for return visits to DC.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 18, 2014

The Hilton Garden in on 14th street in DC is the best, most comfortable value in the District. Walking distance to all the National attractions on and around the National Mall it is clean, comfortable, includes parking and breakfast and you can sleep 4 for approximately $200.00 a night including taxes !!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night to attend a wedding the next day. Location was great, right across from McPherson Metro. Check-in was business-like and efficient. Coffee and water were available. Our room was spacious, bathroom was nice and seemed very clean which was great. We got in right before the rehearsal dinner so dropped our bags and went out. When we returned later that night we noticed that there was a thermostat on the wall as well as a wall unit which was noisily blowing out air. Continuously and a lot of it. I tried to adjust the dial on the wall unit so the rattling would stop but nothing happened. I then tried to adjust the thermostat. Nothing but the rattling which continued. This went on for more than 10 minutes. I called downstairs. The guest services line did not work but the front desk answered. I asked how to adjust the air so it would stop blowing so hard and noisily. I was told it should be "self-explanatory" but an engineer would be sent up. I waited 10 more minutes. In the meantime, the air stopped blowing. It had finally adjusted I guess. So I called downstairs and said to cancel the engineer. I was tired and wanted to sleep. During the night the unit cycled on and off and always was rattling/vibrating like something was loose. Sleep was difficult. The next morning when we returned from breakfast (there is a corner bakery down the street), freezing cold air was blowing in under the unit like a draft. It was like there was suddenly a hole to the outside of the building. We were checking out so didn't report it. And no one asked how our stay was upon checkout so didn't say then. Will let them know if there is a survey. The bell hop was very nice in processing our bags so they could be held till after our event. The lounge is very nice to relax in as well. Shower and bed were very good. I'm not sure I would stay here again because of the HVAC issue but otherwise its a great location if you are relying on public transit.

Room Tip: Higher up may be further from street noise since faces a busy street.