“Standard Hilton”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown
Ranked #59 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The room was spacious, room service prompt, staff was OK, except the concierge who was fabulous.

The White House is in easy walking distance as are a few restaurants and the Metro.

If you want to sleep in just remember you are in a business district and traffic starts early which I could clearly hear in my room.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Leo V

Reviewed March 25, 2013

From the friendly greeting to the sincere come back soon – nothing but great, friendly service. From the Valet, bellhops to the desk clerks to the staff in the bar & restaurant everyone was truly happy & helpful. Everyone worked hard to make us feel at home. Too bad this staff cannot be cloned and put into all Hilton locations. We really enjoyed our stay at this location.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the traffic on 14th street.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My family stayed here recently for 3 nights. This hotel is great! It's located just a short walk from the White House. The staff was very nice and helpful. The breakfast was excellent. The beds were comfortable. The concierge desk took good care our luggage and assisted with transportation. Given the opportunity I will stay here again.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Unbeatable location: just blocks from the White House, monuments, Mall. Plenty of restaurants within walking distance. Metro stop right out the front door. Every employee we encountered was super friendly and helpful. Nice lobby/lounge with free coffee in the AM. We are a family of five so we requested connecting rooms and they put them on "blocked reserve" for us which is pretty rare - most hotels won't guarantee connecting rooms. Our rooms were very comfortable and certainly large enough. Each room had a microwave and EMPTY fridge which in my mind is way better than a mini-bar. You can buy snacks/drinks in the lobby at reasonable prices. Only complaints about the room were 1) loud heating/cooling units and 2) street noise made for some less than ideal sleeping conditions. Unfortunately the pool was a disappointment: small, dirty pool deck, a pool light that kept falling into the water - potential safety hazard?

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank fmrtaitai
HGIDC, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Our goal is to offer amenities that you actually need and use. The microwaves and refrigerators are two great examples. Free Wi-Fi and complimentrary Business Center are perfect for our corporate travelers.

I will work on the enhancing the pool experience. With the location of the hotel, real estate was precious and the pool could be larger. I do have a few ideas on how we can improve it overall.

Thank you once again for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I read all the reviews and they were great. So, I was expecting a good hotel. The lobby is nice, I guess. Actually, it is so-so. But, compared to the room, the Lobby is great. ha ha.

The room was dark, dreary....the ceiling is really low. I felt like I was in a prison.

We checked other rooms, and they were no better. At least our room, faces the back. There is no view. Actually a view of a building right next to it.

But, the other rooms that face the street are NOISY. (We checked those out.)

FYI, I got a suite. It is basically, a long prison room. Stay away. We looked at the regular rooms too. They were small prisons.

The bed is not comfortable.

But, it is near the white house! So, I gave it 2 stars. :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovecokepepsi

Thank you for your response.

The hotel rooms were renovated last year. I will not pretend to like everything about the room however it does have a contemporary feel to a Hilton Garden Inn room. It may not appeal to everyone's taste. The photos on the website are acurate.

I am sorry you did not care for your room. I will see if there is something we can do with the lighting as you mentioned it felt dark. The ceilings are eight feet. The standard rooms measure 14 x 20.

Thank you for your review and we will keep trying to improve.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Great Location! This hotel is in the heart of downtown DC. Close to everything!! The metro station is right across the street.
The hotel was fabulous!! I would definitely recommend purchasing the bed and breakfast rate. For $30 more a night we had breakfast every morning and it was delicious. Made to order omlettes, bacon, sausage, pancakes, pastries, fruit, and a variety of cereals and drinks. I asked and the bill would have been $60/day for a family of 4.
The hotel staff were extremely friendly and very helpful!! Our room had 2 double beds. It was nicely decorated and clean!! I would definately ask for a high room. Other reviewers complained about noise, we heard nothing on the 11th floor.
Overall, it was a fantastic stay in a beautiful city. We will definately be back!!

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank TNmomofone
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel and was pleasantly surprised in all areas. First, the location cannot be beat. It is literally across the street from a Metro stop and in the center of the most desirable attractions. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful from the front desk folks to the housekeepers, who couldn't seem to do enough for us to make our stay more pleasant. The rooms, while not large, were spacious enough, updated and clean. And I thought the beds were very comfortable. (especially if you like firm mattresses) There was a bit of street noise, but I suppose that can't be helped unless you are on one of the upper floors. The lobby area was comfortable and welcoming with a nice ambiancamound of ambience. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again or recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Try to book a room on the higher level, away from street noise, and away from the ice machines if po...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family