“Great location, friendly staff”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown
Ranked #59 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Average run of the mill garden inn but the staff is exceptional, across the street from the metro station and great proximity to all dc attractions. Rooms are quite generic but comfortable, if you get a good deal this is the place to stay

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Chris E

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I had a great experience when I stayed at the HGI in downtown DC. The staff was wonderful. They were friendly and accomodating. The room was nice and clean and the furniture was modern. The location was great, close to all the attractions. Overall, I had an enjoyable stay.

I will definitely stay again when I return to DC.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This is my favorite business hotel in DC - I think that they set the bar: friendly and helpful staff. They really try to make you feel wanted and comfortable. Rooms are spacious and clean. The breakfast is quick and more than adequate. And, they had even free umbrellas for us when it started to rain!
This was my third stay and I would never hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay. The rooms were very spacious, clean and modern; I had a massive king size bed that was really comfortable and the air conditioning worked perfectly, so I could adjust the temperature to exactly how I wanted it.
A buffet breakfast was served downstairs, which was also really nice. And the hotel is very well located close to the main tourist attractions and Metro station.
I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank silverborg
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for 3 nights when I was in DC for a conference. Let me start by saying that this is properly a 3-4 star hotel and it delivers.

Location is great - right downtown, 5-6 blocks from the White House and the Federal Triangle. Also 15-20 minute walk to the Verizon Centre. For anywhere too far to walk, there's a Metro stop across the street (Blue line, I think), and, even better, a Five Guys Burger shop - yum! However, because it's smack in the middle of downtown, it's quiet on the weekend and there isn't alot going on in the immediate area. Also, it's a short (10-15 min) taxi ride to Reagan airport (if you don't want to take the Metro).

The hotel itself is nothing fancy, but it has the amenities - bar, restaurant and lounge area, and from what I saw, it was pretty lively. My room rate included breakfast, but I didn't eat any other meals at the hotel. The breakfast was good - a pretty decent sized buffet, along with an Omelet Bar and Waffle bar, but I can't speak to other meals. Also, the hotel is in pretty decent shape and the well maintained, and the staff was very friendly - front desk, restaurant and the bar - everyone. Really, no complaints.

There's also a gym and a pool at the basement level, but I didn't make it down there. I confess, I'm not generally fond of basement level gyms

I was in a King Room - it was well appointed, if not huge, but it had the bed, desk, sitting area, decent-sized bathroom, flat screen LCD TV with lots of HD channels, pretty much whatever you'd want. My only complaint is that the Heat/A/C is quite loud when it clicks on, and actually woke me up one morning at 5:30 am. Not fun. The bed was comfortable, but nothing exceptional.

Finally, and this is big - the hotel has FREE WIFI. I can't emphasize how important this is, especially when travelling for business. I'm Canadian so because of roaming rates, I don't use when my phone when I'm in the US unless I have WIFI access, and having that access allowed me to stay on top of emails when I was away, not to mention make free calls home.

All that is to say I was quite pleased with my stay, and would happily stay there again. it has all the "key" amenities, and while it's no luxury hotel, it provides good bang for the buck.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank CAB71
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Warm indoor pool, fridge and microwave in each room, complementary in-room WiFi. Rooms are nicely appointed and spacious. Hotel is well-appointed overall and very clean. Lobby includes restaurant with fireplace.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mjht918
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I attended this hotel while I was in DC on business. I travel relatively frequently, so most hotels I stay at all seem the same. This hotel, however, has something that I wish most hotels had, an excellent staff in all departments. Everyone from the valet, to the front desk staff, to the housekeepers, to (and especially) the bartenders were very professional, courteous and helpful. Thanks to all of them for making my stay a great one!

Room Tip: My room was in the front of the hotel, on the 11th floor, and street noise was not very noticeable.