“Great Staff!! Nice Hotel”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown
Ranked #60 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Sarasota, Florida
“Great Staff!! Nice Hotel”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The hotel was just what you would expect from a Hilton Garden Inn, so with that said, rooms were very clean and comfortable. I actually had a great night sleep every night (which I never do at hotels). Okay, so what really impressed me was the staff. Every single staff member I met (or even glanced their way) was smiling and friendly. Marcus checked us in. He was so hospitable, asking us if we had any questions, and even upgraded our room for free. The porter/valet (which we didn't use) smiled everytime we passed by and would tip their hats as we would come and go! How charming! The housekeeping staff smiled and were friendly everytime we passed and wished us a great day (and cleaned our room awesomely). I felt very safe and I felt the staff really cared that we were comfortable and enjoyed our stay. It is walking distance to the White House (a couple blocks away), right across the street from the metro McPherson Station (which was a breeze to use from the Ronald Reagan Airport), this is important because you can get anywhere quickly by just going across the street and getting on the metro. The airport website gave great directions on getting to the hotel from the airport on the metro. If we visit DC again, I would stay here. I would also recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Can't beat the location, just a few blocks from the White House. We're young and adventurous, so we didn't find the walk to the Mall and main attractions to be too bad, but if you're not much of a walker you'll want to look into a cab maybe.

No complaints about the room, had everything we needed for a good night's rest after a long day of sightseeing.

The only thing that was a bit of a turnoff was the snooty guy who greeted us at the check in desk. One would assume that making an online "advance purchase" room through the website and submitting a credit card to be authorized with no chance of refund would mean you paid for the room before even arriving. So when I said "oh I thought it was pre-paid for already" when he asked for my card, instead of just politely explaining that nothing had been charged yet he just looked at me like I was an idiot for not knowing that already. I don't count that against the hotel though, because I think it was just more of a personality thing exclusive to that snooty douche than a reflection of the whole staff.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Great hotel, lovely spacious rooms. The hotel is in a great location within walking distance to shops and restaurants. Their is a subway station right across the street. Tourist attractions are easily accessed by foot or by public transport. I found the staff to be very helpful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 13Cork
Stuart, Florida
Reviewed February 7, 2013

The full/queen beds in this hotel are the worst I've ever slept (more like didn't sleep) on. I tried to switch to a king room, but it wasn't available. I tried both beds in this room, and both were terrible. I am exhausted from a lack of sleep on this trip. The wifi kicked me off constantly, requiring me to sign back in every few minutes. The hotel is clean, the staff is very nice, and the breakfast is good.

Room Tip: Facing 14th street your room will be bright (which I like), but very noisy!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2013

A five minute walk from the White House, this excellent hotel is perfectly located to visit and walk downtown and the main sites in Washington DC. The rooms are well decorated and conformtable. The service is excellent. Even thought it is a bit pricy it is money well spent considering that the location of the hotel is excellent. The consierge was extremely helpful. The dinning room offered a nice breakfast and it was handy for an evening meal as well. The heated pool was a nice feature after a long day of walking in Washington. The Hamilton Restaurent close by was neat place and offered good food.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank regulartraveler96
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

We have enjoyed 3 excellent days in this hotel which is so well located....just 2 blocks from the White House and in easy walking distance of so many sights. For anything further afield the Metro is literally across the street. Our room was large and well appointed, with the most comfortable bed possible! Good restaurant with really friendly staff. A great hotel, and we'd definitely stay here again....

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Moffsaway
Dormansland, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I always use Tripadvisor before booking a hotel and this time was no exception. Previous reviews highlighted the great location and they were right. It is an easy walk to the White House, the Washington monument and the museums.

On arrival we were greeted by a very pleasant young man who made sure that check in was quick and efficient. The room was lovely and a perfect size for myself, my mother, my husband and our 2 year old son. It was clean and well decorated. The cleaning staff were very pleasant and efficient.

We used the room service on several occasions and it was of a high standard, enjoyed by all.

The only negatives were.....

the hotel bar, which never opened on time and usually had most of it's seating area blocked off, thus making it so there was not enough seats for everyone wanting a quick refreshment. We resolved this by visiting a nearby hotel who were more than happy to serve us.

AND

Secondly the biggest negative. Eddie. Oh Eddie, you nearly negated all the good work your fellow reception staff had done. All we asked you for was for a late check out but you made it seem like we were asking for all the gold in the world. Actually remembering Eddie's level of customer service has made me change this review from 5/5 to 4/5. On top of Eddie's poor customer service he also seemed to have a lose grip on the fees associated with a late check out.

In conclusion we had a lovely stay in Washington and part of this was due to the hotel. We would definitely stay here again on return but we would avoid Eddie at all costs.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family