“Great location, and nice hotel”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown
Ranked #60 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in early November. It's a simple hotel -- nothing fancy -- but the rooms are large, clean, and in good repair, the furniture comfortable, and the shower pretty good (although it only got "so hot" - never quite as hot as we like it). The staff is friendly. The location is great, walking distance from the mall and Penn Qtr., and across the street from the McPherson Square metro. Given the choice, I prefer to stay in a less-business-y neighborhood like DuPont Circle, but nothing is that far away within the district. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,023)

Reviewed January 22, 2013

This location is about a 10 minute walk to the White House and about 15 minutes to The National Mall... or maybe it seemed longer since I had to carry stuff with me for work.

I drove all night from Ohio and arrived at this HGI around 9:30 a.m. in the morning. The front desk employee, while helpful in regard to immediately giving me a room at this time of the day, she was not friendly. When I asked about Hilton Gold offers, she immediately said in a sharp tone that I could receive bonus points or free breakfast. No mention about a room upgrade. What later annoyed me is my room had a view of the back alley. Yes, when you are in DC you are there more than likely for the sites, not to hang out in your room. I was there for work. But being Hilton Gold I would think she would at least offer a better room (if one wasn't available for immediate check-in) and let me know the better room wasn't ready at the time but could take the "lesser" room immediately.

It is clear the housekeeping staff spends a lot of time cleaning the property as my room was nice and it seemed as though they were cleaning rooms throughout the day (not clocking out at 2:00 p.m.).

The hotel only has valet parking on site and do not lose your valet ticket! I needed my vehicle quickly one night to go somewhere for work and I'll say this: my vehicle is not hard to miss. I misplaced my valet ticket and had to argue with the employee working the valet desk about finding the key to my car. He then told me on the phone, "sir, this would be easier if you had ticket." Yes, I realize that, but you had driven my car with signage on it at least five times in about 36 hours.

The breakfast was good and about what you expect from an HGI property.

The bar in the lobby only stays open till 10 p.m., but the bartender was nice in buying me a bottle of beer from the lobby "convenience store" to put on his tab since he had to close things up.

If you are concerned about security in DC at a hotel, I felt very safe at this location. You need to use your room key to enter the lobby after a certain time (I want to say 10 p.m. or 11 p.m.) and you need your room key to reach any floor when using the elevator. Now after saying all of that, I never saw or used the stairs.

The internet speed could be improved (wired and wireless) and I wish Hilton family properties would let guests know they need multiple internet codes - one for each device - when using multiple devices. I've recently run into this issue not only at this location but another Hilton family property out west. You can connect on your computer, but when you use your iPad, the signal hangs.

Room Tip: Plan enough time for breakfast because if the hotel is busy, you may have to wait awhile for a table...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank BuckeyeHoosier
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I've stayed here before - the location is excellent (right across from a Metro station) and all is up to date and super clean. The lobby is very welcoming and they have complimentary hot drinks in the morning and lots of flat screens. I happened to be dealing with a headcold while there so I didn't want to go out in the evening. Luckily for me, the bar/restaurant staff are charming and the food is excellent (restaurant is called the Grist Mill). The shrimp and grits dish includes andouille sausage, a cream sauce and an over-easy egg on top...so good (feed a cold, right?). Great place for business travelers to DC.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

You really can't go wrong with this choice. The location is central to many things including proximity to the Metro, Washington's subway, and retail and food establishments, and of course the sights of DC - with the White House, Smithsonian Museums and monuments close by. I was in town for business, though, and appreciated the professional and welcoming manner of the staff, free wifi, and convenient location. The amenities are typical - minibar, coffee maker, hairdryer, iron, but with one pleasant exception: a microwave. I didn't use it but noticed that the in-hotel 'mini-market' had foods that could utilize this - and a number of nearby restaurants. Rooms are comfortable, but you might want to request a street view - as opposed to an alley or rear view that I had, to get more light and appreciate a bit more of DC. A nice experience, and one I'd be happy to stay at again.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I would recommend this place for families wanting to stay in DC on a bit of a budget. We didn't want to spend too much and this place delivered. Some of the negatives of this place are made up for by the location and the general cleanliness.

1. Families - Yes - good with one small child
2. Breakfast - Very neat. Had some unusual things in there (oatmeal containing some weird fruit). if you want to try somewhere else its convenient.
3. Location - Great. About 10 minutes walk from white house. Did feel surprisingly dangerous at night. Certainly didn't feel like venturing into the local parks in the dark.
4. Room - Nice but not amazing. A bit poky and there was no view from ours. It seemed that a number of rooms have a view of the central courtyard, which has a large air conditioning unit or something. Not exactly scenic. We waived to some of the office workers on the other side. that was fun for our little boy.
5. Staff – No problems
6. Other - Internet was fast but did cut out on occasions.

Room Tip: Avoid the interior rooms if you want a room. I can't give tips on how to select these. We were d...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 18, 2013

This is a very nice place to stay in DC. The hotel's website is excellent and gives great directions from the Metro station: From Reagan National, travel toward Largo to McPherson Square. Follow the signs to 14th & Franklin and exit there. You'll see the hotel directly across the street.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in #24 are super-quiet.
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We took our daughter and three grandchildren (ages 6, 8, 10) to Washington over the Christmas holiday. The staff at the Hilton Garden Inn could not have been nicer and more helpful. We had two large rooms, side by side, that looked out onto 14th Street. the location, across the street from a Metro Station and two blocks from the White House is great. The addition of shops and restaurants in the immeditate area was a real plus, especially when my husband had to replace a pair of shoes that fell apart in the snow. We enjoyed the buffet breakfast, the lounge, and the indoor swimming pool - a real plus with children. Every question to the hotel staff was answered promptly and courteously. They even located a loved toy that one of the children lost in the dining room and returned it to us. The valet staff was able to find a van to transport the six of us to the Lincoln Memorial one day and to the airport another. The restaurant has a nice children's menu (the macaroni and cheese is excellent) and room service is also available. I highly recommend this hotel for families in Washington, but would also stay there again myself without the kids. The only downside was the street noise at night and in the early morning.

Room Tip: The rooms on the back side of the hotel may get less sunlight, but the noise on 14th Street can be t...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family