WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown

Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown
Ranked #54 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Farmington, Connecticut
“Great location. Affordable. Comfortable.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

I spent three nights at Hilton Garden over Thanksgiving weekend. I picked this hotel because it is across from McPherson Square metro - making it a breeze to visit museums and other attractions in DC. If you fly into DCA, you can take the Blue line to McPherson, making airport transportation a breeze.

My room on the 13th floor was spacious and quiet. It had a king bed, large desk & ergonomic chair and a wing back chair with ottoman. There was lots of storage for clothes and a large closet. There is complimentary wireless internet and a large, flat screen HD TV. The bathroom had a marble counter top and was clean and spacious. I was pleased there was a small refrigerator, microwave and a coffee maker in the room.

There is a bar and restaurant in the hotel. There are Happy Hour prices late afternoons, but when my daughter and I ordered wine, we were not told that only house wines received the happy hour discount. We were disappointed that the server did not tell us that when we ordered our drinks. I found out the next day when reading the hotel literature in my room.

There is a buffet breakfast for $14, which is pricey if you don't eat that much food. You can also order ala cart or get room service. You can go next door to Cosi or across the street for less expensive choices. In fact, there are several restaurant choices in the area.

All in all, the Hilton Garden on 14th Street is a wonderful place to stay in downtown DC.

Room Tip: Ask at the front desk if you need bottled water or something from the hotel store. The store is hidd...
2 Thank Brooksie85

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed once before at this hotel and my family had a good experience.It's well located by the McPherson Metro stop as well as the DC Circulator bus. Most of the time, we walked to the attractions in and near the mall. There are some restaurants in the area but one thought is to take the Circulator bus into Georgetown and expand your choices.

We returned again this year and what a disappointment! Our room ran air conditioning continuously and could not be switched off. We had the HVAC man look at it and he said if we wanted heat, we had to set at 77 degrees; the unit was designed to not turn off! He tried to disable the wall control so we could use controls inside the unit itself but that did not work. SO, we had no heat for 2 nights in 40 degree weather--instead, we had air conditioning! He also said that the system was designed poorly. How can a hotel operate with HVAC where the choice is AC or heat above 77 degrees??? The front desk was nice and gave us breakfast for free but what I really wanted was 2 nights sleep. I wrote to Hilton, but they have not responded after 6 days so I suppose they won't.

During both visits, the staff were friendly.

Bottom line, if you only go during times when air conditioning is needed, this would be a good option.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank NJB1165
HGIDC, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
NJB1165,

Obviously not our best moment and we really made a muck of this situation.

I know you have talked with one of my other managers and we have resolved the situation to your satisfaction but we are much more proactive than this.

I am very sorry you had this experience at my hotel. We will be using this as a case study for training in the coming weeks and appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

John Rish
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

My work takes me to DC at least 5 to 6 times a year and I have stayed at many hotels in the Downtown, Capitol Hill and DuPont Sq area. Even though not as fancy as some of the other places, I look forward to staying at this property every time.

The staff is friendly, the hotel is extremely well located and extremely convenient for a business traveler. The beds and the rooms are well equipped, checking in and out is generally a breeze and the breakfast service is excellent.

A bonus is the free internet and free printing facility available.

The only -ve is the high rates that this hotel charges for a Garden Inn category, but given that it is DC, and that the Government business is recession proof, all hotels in the area charge a 2X premium to those across the Potomac

Room Tip: Most rooms have dull views, so does not matter which one you take
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank A J
Portage, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Just finished 5 nights at HGI in DC over Thanksgiving holiday. The location is perfect for visiting all the Washington DC sights. The White House is just 3-4 blocks away, the Smithsonian museums & National Mall are just 8 blocks south on 14th Street. There are plenty of good restaurants in the area too. We booked a room & breakfast package that really helped cut costs as food in DC can be expensive. The buffet breakfast at HCI was very good with many hot & cold options every day. The room was a bit small for 4 people but was otherwise fine and clean. Without a doubt the best thing about this hotel is the staff. Every single staff person we interacted with over 5 days was really friendly and ready to help. From the desk staff that helped us with an early arrival to the restaurant staff who had our kids laughing at every meal, we truly enjoyed meeting the fine people who work at HCI in DC. If Hilton management is reading this, you need to tell your staff that they are doing a great job! Families visiting Washington DC would be hard pressed to find a better place to stay.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband and 2 children 10,16 stayed here just last week, the location was great, staff was extremely friendly and helpful, most service oriented hotel staff I've ever encountered! The room overall was clean and provided the necessary amenities for our stay. I cannot emphasize how good the location of this hotel was, just about 1/2 mile from national park mall and the White House
When we go back we will definitely consider this hotel as a top spot for a great value.
Thank you Hilton staff you are the main reason we would return!

• Stayed November 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

I travel a lot for business, in-country and globally, and I loved this hotel. I needed to check in early, no problem, no fee. My room was clean (view awful, but heck, I'm not here for the view), plentiful coffee and tea, as well as good bathroom toiletries including mouthwash - why doesn't everyone have this? Internet free and fast, no problems logging in, and plentiful newspapers for those of us who still love paper.
I was giving a talk at the Washington Press Club, and the concierge printed out a list of nearby places I could get my hair done, the cheerful doorman whistled up a cab. Later the Press Club was a short walk away. When I dashed down to the Business Center to print my speech, another patient client service person helped me. I'll definitely stay here again - and oh yes, the price - wow, great bargain. Accolades to the staff, you certainly understand the meaning of client service, I hope the Hilton hierarchy rewards you well.

Room Tip: If you want a view, choose a street view, I wasn't spending time in my room apart from working s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

The Hilton Garden Inn is a good location for several of Washington's major attractions, including the White House, which was an easy two blocks walk. The rooms are very small and 'old' and it was extremely noisy. We had two rooms for our stay and one on the street side and the other was facing the lane way and the noise in both rooms made it difficult to sleep. Breakfast was ok but we had to wait nearly 30 minutes on both days for a table, as this was Thanksgiving weekend this could attribute to the long delay in seating. The $38 fee (plus tax) to park the car was a huge rip off.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Belle8888
HGIDC, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am sorry you had to wait for a table for breakfast. During the weekends we are happy to have many families stay with us. We see on the weekends folks like to dine together with other guests they may be traveling with and stay longer. They visit and plan their day which is fine but it also means we cannot turn the tables as fast. As we are in the heart of the action, there is some street noise which I wish I could abate.

Parking is expensive at $38. I assure you if you were to shop other hotels in the Downtown area, you will find we are the lowest with the exception of one hotel which has an open air, self park lot.

Thank you for responding and we will work on turning tables faster in the morning and on the noise on the street.

Best regards.