“Great location and well priced” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown

Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown
Ranked #57 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Perth, Australia
“Great location and well priced”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for three days from 13 th September 2012 because I had stayed here the years before for work. The location is excellent being so close to white house and short walk to the mall this time I stayed with my wife and 2 children. We shared a room with two doubles which was quite live able for 3 days. The room had a fridge and microwave which we used a few times. We got the breakfast included and it was great. Hot food buffet and cereal and fruit. It was a great way to start the day. We requested a quiet room away from the road and it was very quiet. The kids enjoyed swimming in the small pool which was a surprise as I didn't expect a hotel of this size to have a pool. The hotel has four lifts which we never seemed to wait to long for. I also used the business centre to print off my boarding passes. I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling on business or with a family as it is well located, near a metro station and has good facilities. I have stayed here twice and not been disappointed.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank acodling
HGIDC, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for the review. I'm glad the hotel worked for both a business trip and a trip with your family. It's also good to hear you enjoyed our breakfast and location. Thank you again for the review. We hope to see you next time you're in DC.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

I took my grandson on Amtrack to Washington D.C.Sept. 13-16th 2012 - first time for both of us. When we got to the hotel thankfully they had a room ready for us. The front desk as well as the doormen, especially Ralph and Mark were so helpful in suggesting places to eat, directions and hailing a cab with their loud whistle - thank you all. We enjoyed the lemon water and cookies in the lounge each day. Our bed and pillows were very comfortable and housekeeping did a good job in keeping the room clean. The safe, refrig and microwave came in handy as well.. The location was great and we walked most places but there is also a convenient Metro. On our last day we went to the Washington Cathedral and the hotel was kind enough to keep our bags for us after we checked out. I would definately stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: We requested a room away from the street noise and had a room on the 7th floor in the back of the ho...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank hayward913
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We hope you enjoyed your first trip to DC and we hope to see you again on your next trip!
Saipan, Mariana Islands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

This hotel was an easy walk to the White House and to the various monuments and the other attractions. Breakfast buffet was a bit whimpy and overpriced. Better to walk down the block to CVS and pick up some items that you can put in the room refrigerator and microwave yourself.
Front desk staff were professional and helpful. Would stay here again. Room was very good and had good sleep both nights.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Hafa670
HGIDC, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I hope you had safe travels and good time here with your family. We hope to see you again next time you're in the area.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Pros:
Great location
Good price for downtown
Clean

Cons:
Not prepared to handle flux of people
Not for the family trip

Checking in, the receptionist was extremely helpful and offered me water while she prepared my reservation. My room wasn't ready just yet, but I needed to catch up on some work so I didnt mind the wait. When i dropped my bag off the porter was quite angry due to the overwhelming amount of people trying checkin. I was called within 20 minutes that my room was ready and that i had been upgraded to a suite (SCORE). When I checked in the concierge provided me with.a beg of water, and I was off to the room.

My luggage was not in my room, and when i called the front deak it took them some time to bring it to my room. The suite is very nice for a Hilton garden. Furniture is plentiful, unstocked fridge so you can grab some eats from around the corner and store it for later. There's a microwave to reheat your goods, couple of tv's and a large comfy bed. The style of furniture is not contemporary but gets the job done.

Couple of deltas: there was a smell of tarnish in the room which I could not air out for the life of me. The view is also not the best (HVAC unit). There is no pool and what seems to be a basement sized gym.

But let's get serious, you go to the Hilton garden because you.have work to get done then you pass out. The location of the place is great;metro is right outside your door, food and a CVs around the corner. Place vets the job done if your on a business trip.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank travelinmike25
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It's good to hear our location was great for your trip. I apologize however, for you experience with your bags. We hold ourselves to much higher standards of service and I will work with the staff to improve. Thank you for the feedback. We hope to see you next time you're in town
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

PROS:
Location, cleanliness, free internet, CVS nearby, room size is nice for such a large city, close to Hop On bus stop & White House, super friendly and helpful staff, Having a fridge in the room is terrific, especially in the hot summer months, it's so nice to be able to have a stash of cold water!
CONS:
Restaurant is expensive for what you get (although there is a good bakery/sandwich shop down the street), windows don't open all the way, pool is more like a big bath tub.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor if you want super quiet
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HGIDC, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate all feedback-good and bad-and use it to help improve our service and amenities. Thank you once again and we hope to see you in the not too distant future.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

Chose this hotel out of very many on the basis of previous Trip Advisor reviews and were extremely satisfied. Room was spacious and well appointed. Traffic noise even on the 9th floor of street facing room was the only slight negative. The location was a brilliant one from which to visit the main sights on foot and to have safe access in in the evening in a lively area to many quality restaurants.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank John R
Thank you very much for the review. It's good to hear that our TripAdvisor reviews are helping future travelers and are true to form. I'm pleased to hear you had a good trip. Thank you again for the review and we hope to see you again.
Brigham City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the HIlton Garden Inn for 6 days beginning September 1st. We flew into Reagan-Nat'l, collected our luggage, hopped on the Blue Metro, got off at McPherson Station, exited from the 14th street exit, and right directly across the street is the Hotel. I had purchased 7 day metro passes online before we went, so we didn't have to bother with the machines.

Our beds were very comfortable. Although the room showed a little wear and tear, and the bath tub could use a good heavy duty scrubbing, we were very happy with our stay. The AC worked well. Flat screen TV was nice. The room had a fridge and a microwave - so we walked down 14th a couple of blocks, to a CVS market, and purchased breakfast cereal, etc. That saved a little on food expenses.

The White House is just a couple of short blocks' walk from the Hotel. Although, the National Mall is close enough to walk, we knew we would be walking plenty, so a short ride on the Metro took us to all the Smithsonian museums, Capitol, Library of Congress, Supreme Court, Spy Museum, Crime and Punishment Museum, Ford's Theater, and Arlington Cemetery. The Hotel really was in the perfect location.

Might I suggest the DC Trails Bus Tours that you can schedule with the hotel consierge. The bus picks you up and drops you off right at the hotel and the tour guides are great. We actually took a night tour with Old Time Trolley and a Mt. Vernon tour with OnBoard Tours. They do not pick you up, you have to meet at Union Station and the Old Post Office. They were unorganized and frustrating, and I wish I hadn't booked with them. Dont waste your time with those tour companies.

We ate one meal in the Grist Mill and it was very tasty. I had the salmon. Yum! We also ordered room service one night, and had the grilled cheese. Yum again!

The customer service was great, also. They greeted us each time we came in the door. We didn't have any problems, so we didn't have a need to contact housekeeping or the front counter for anything.

I will recommend this hotel to anyone, and if we ever get back to DC again, we will stay here.

Room Tip: We requested a higher floor by the elevator. We faced 14th street, and could hear traffic occasiona...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Kitt_J
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Thank you for the good feedback on your stay and the Grist MIll restaurant. We look forward to seeing you again, hopefully in the not too distant future.