“DC GEM with a wonderful, caring staff”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown
Ranked #58 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Booked this location for a last minute trip to DC from NYC because it was closest to our morning meeting location - what a difference from our HGI/JFK experience last week (see my review)! From the moment our cab arrived from Union Station - we could and later did take the Metro back (it is located just across the street and Union Station is about 4 stops away) our experience was top notch!

The doorman Michael was professional, helpful and just plain gracious. The single clerk at the front desk acknowledged me immediately with a smile, despite helping another client (again with the food coupon/HH points ?!?). A lovely young woman immediately appeared to check us in and, zip, we were on our way to our quiet room 1415 -high floor - away from the elevators - as requested in my HH profile. The room was clean as a whistle with extra soft new towels and crisp sheets.

We were warmly greeted by the manager for breakfast and the staff points continued to pile in with the winning ways of our breakfast waitress. The breakfast is buffet style and while another Trip Advisor patron commented it was expensive - there was plenty of choice and really NOT expensive for a DC hotel - see "The Hay-Adams" just around the corner...

Left my bag with the valet - who genuinely inquired about my stay. I went to the front desk to ask for a local map and noticed a mini-staff meeting happening to my right. I apologized for interrupting their meeting, but wanted to compliment the group for providing such great customer service. I had the feeling from the moment we arrived that the staff were part-owners of the hotel - intrapreneurs, if you will.

The hotel manager was in the group, post breakfast greeting stint. I shook his hand and told him what a great experience we had had in such a short time. (We have been in three cities in four hotels in the last ten days. The way a hotel staff treats you MATTERS. It can make a difference to your entire trip to know someone cares to provide you with quality service. I own my own business and it is MY money I am spending when I walk through an establishment's door. This HGI gets that. Leadership shows and this hotel has it!)

Arrived later in the hot August day to pick up my bag. Took a minute to pour a complimentary iced lemon water and plug-in at the long table in the lobby to double check the metro map to Union Station and send out an few emails. Doorman Michael was there to open the door for me and wish me a good journey. Next time we need to be in DC, this is where I am staying!

Thank you again to the DC HGI - best 24 hours of the 2011 road season.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank riggingdiva
HGIDC, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience!

We hold our morning huddle if you will in the lobby so we all remember all we do ultimately influences our guests. There are a lot of "behind the scenes" associates who make sure that everything runs well and we have everything we need. I remember you distinctly approaching the group to tell us of you experience. We learn from mistakes but motivated to know we made a difference. It was a great start to our day.

Thank you and hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown

Reviewed August 10, 2011

Two blocks from the White House, perfect walking distance to all the sights, close to the Mall, Metro practically across the street.

Garden Inn Staff made you feel welcome and were ready to help at all times. Friendly smiles and Hello's every time we walked in or out of the hotel. Since we were there during a heat wave the hotel had placed coolers of iced bottle water in the lobby and made sure everyone knew it was there......and it was for FREE

The room had a king size bed, modern furniture, a nice sofa chair and foot stool, desk and flat screen TV, The room faced the main street but we were 14 floors up so it was fine, no street noise. The AC worked very well and was not very loud. The bathroom was very clean and the towels were soft. Housekeeping did a great job and by the time we came back for a mid day break from the heat, the room was made up and good to go. The hallways were quiet you could barley hear anyone else. Each floor had a ice machine and soda machine. Elevators worked well, no issues with that.

There are several restaurants nearby for all price levels; 5 Guys Burgers across the street, COSI (some sort of hippie-wanna-be food place and Chain Restaurant), was not good! A Starbucks and numerous other nice sit down restaurants. We went to the bar for a couple of beers and the selection was OK. Than the next night we had 3 shots of tequila, a martini, soda water and a Moijito and it cost $85.......are you kidding me, oh well we were on vacation.....Had breakfast the morning we checked out, we had the buffet. Not really to our liking. Normal items but the cantaloupe and watermelon were siting on ice too long and was tasteless.

Minus the breakfast and bar tab; WE WILL STAY AGAIN next year!!!!

Room Tip: Go for the higher floor.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2011

This was a very convenient location. It's 2 blocks from the White House and a quick walk to all of the attractions. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and clean. The staff are friendly and accommodating. They had complimentary coffee in the mornings and water all day (including cold bottles for trecking out in the swampy August heat).

One drawback was the pool. It was in the basement and felt dark and isolated. The restaurant was great but overpriced. We only ate one dinner and one breakfast.

Despite this, we will most likely be back next time we are in DC.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank chachismami_01
HGIDC, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel!

Our location, three blocks from the White House is one of many assets of our property but as they say location, location, location. As such the designers of the hotel had to get creative when one of the owner's requirements was to have a pool. Though it is located below the lobby, it is a great place to bring the kids after a long day.

I will work with our designers to see what we can do to brighten the space.

Thank you again!

Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed here for our family vacation. Perfect location to see the sights, right across street from a metro station. Three blocks from the White House. The staff were all wonderful. From Kenny who greeted us at valet, to George who ran the best restaurant we found in DC. With all the options open to us, our family wanted to eat at the Grist Mill every night. Our servers, Gennaro and Shannon were quick and friendly. The food was delicious. Our room was very spacious. We even met the GM, John. He has created the perfect balance to make families and business travelers feel at home. We'll be back next time we're in towm for sure.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank TheL-RodFamily
HGIDC, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2011

Thank you for your kind review!

I am so happy you had a good time and really that is what it is all about isn't it?

Growing up and traveling with my family, we stayed in some resorts but we also stayed in motels where room service was the Lance machine next to the 72 Buick Skylark! I still remember some of those roadside motels fondly because the staff was so nice and I had a great time!

With all of the product innovations and technology, a good time is still the best measure of success.

Thanks again!

Reviewed August 4, 2011

The Hilton Garden Inn on 14th Street has a "small hotel" feel with some big hotel amenities in an excellent location. The rooms have typical Hilton comfort which are a big plus after my husband's heavy business days and my days in the museums and galleries. Really good beds! Their bar and small restaurant are low-key and the food surprisingly good for when we arrive too late to go out. And the staff is excellent, often going out of their way to help us with baggage issues, transportation, little comforts, etc. Plus terrific restaurants abound in their area, from the delightful little Languedoc bistro (Bistro Doc on 10th) to the sophisticated Ici (on 15th). The Mozart Cafe around the corner on H Street is a cozy spot for good Austrian food on a cold winter's night, with a good wine menu. And with the DuPont Circle restaurants (everything from Ethiopian to Italian) only a short Metro or taxi ride away we find using the Hilton Garden as our base of operations the perfect setup. It is expensive (as everything in DC is) but there are sometimes special rates you can take advantage of.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank redwinterTucson

Thank you for reviewing our hotel!

There are literally hundreds of restaurants within an eight block radius of our hotel and are easily accessible. I am a bit partial to Grist Mill personally! Chef Chris Willis is well established in Washington DC and was personal chef to best-selling author Tom Clancy for a number of years. Chef enjoys preparing what he calls "comfort foods" with a twist which fits well with our hotel concept.

Thank you and hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed July 31, 2011

Wondwerful hotel. The staff is very friendly and very helpful. Hotel is 3 blocks from the White House. The MacPherson Metro Station is literally across the street. 3 Stops from the Smithsonian Station. We got the DC Weekend Getaway Package that included Breakfast for all registered guests and parking for a reasonable price. Breakfast was excellent with omelets and waffles made to your liking.
The pool is very small and can get quite noisy with all the kids there. Lots of echo as is often the case with indoor hotel pools. Rooms were quite large, lots of space to walk around for a family of 4. I wouldn't hesitate a second to rebook here.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank leceltique
Reviewed July 30, 2011

I reviewed this hotel last year, and it was not a good one. I must like torture because I went back, but what a difference a year makes. The hotel must have hired all new staff. The service was outstanding from the moment you checked in, to the moment you checked out. I will return!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank rrbk

I am so glad!

If anyone doubts that our hotel does not take comments or suggestions seriously, this is an example of how reviews help us improve!

Thank you so much for giving us a chance to redeem ourselves!

Please come again!