“Great Stay”

Ranked #43 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Los Angeles, California
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

Hotel is located at a convenient location, the rooms and service was very good. Couldn't venture out of the hotel due to the snow storm, the thermostat failed but the hotel staff was very prompt in responding to the problem.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Paris, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

No, thank you
I stayed there for 4 nights in early April 2014. The room was booked by my company. This is not a cheap hotel, even at corporate rate and the price posted in my room was close to $3000 !!. So you might expect some extra courtesy and at least good service. So, I’ll start with the positives before I get into the negatives. The location is great, can’t get more central. The building is an old bank, very nice. And my room was facing in the back, really not noisy except for the generators in the backyard.... Upon arrival, I had managed to slowly already drag my luggage out of the trunk before someone from the valet (which btw costs $44 a day…) came to ask me if I was checking in. The receptionist raced through the usual information at check in and “forgot” to give me some information related to my rate. Of the 3 elevators, only one was working and we waited for 10 mns before we could board, a few at a time, while a queue was building up… My luggage didn’t make it to my room until 15 mns later…. The elevators continued to be a nuisance all through the stay, we were told that they were used by cleaning ladies… The room ? For the price, I could NOT find anything that would make it any more special or any different from any of the other same-class hotels I have stayed in: two beds, a duvet that was made of plastic, small bathroom, small desk, little closet, drawers that wouldn’t close, and so few minuscule amenities I had to ask for extra shampoo … The towels are not soft, the coffee machine is a nice sophisticated one, but the hot water for the tea tastes like coffee… One day they forgot to replace the mugs and although they sent some up after I had to ask, they didn’t really apologise about it until later in the evening… When I ordered room service they asked my name and room number 3 times – no hellos, no unnecessary politeness or amability. Then they asked me to wait for a minute in the same rushed way and passed me on to someone else who asked my name and room number 3 times and then took more time to ask what the soup was… When the order arrived, the soup was cold, there was no bread nor salt/pepper, no condiments for my meal. The one morning that I tried to get breakfast at the “Bistro”, I had to come in, seat myself, was asked if I had ordered and then ignored and finally got up and realized that I had to go order at the counter and pre-pay there for a Starbucks coffee and some over-salted eggs. I never went again down in the basement to that weird, dark, place.
All in all, I would not stay here again, I wasn’t made to feel comfortable, the staff is not professional, their attitude is not attentive to clients’ needs, and one question for local information to the concierge brought out immediately a proposal for a tour with a company he knew…

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank PallasParis
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

In a previous life the hotel was once a bank, and you can see the beauty of that architecture throughout the building. Check out the old bank vault door in the lower ground level, the vaulted ceilings and marble on the ground level, and all the little details that make this a truly beautiful hotel.

The rooms were fantastic, with all the amenities one could desire, and comfortable as well. The pool, though small, was fantastic with it's whirlpool and two gym areas in the downstairs portion. The location cannot be beat and was in walking distance of nearly everything that we wanted to see and do - the Smithsonians are a stone's throw away!

The staff were some of the most helpful I've met while traveling. Check in was painless and equally so was check out. They were happy to hold our luggage while we explored. The concierge pointed us in all the right directions!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank JNATravels
Amarillo, texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

This is a cool hotel in in old bank building. We stayed in in room 817. It has great view of the art museum. Super convenient to the gallery place metro stop, less than fifty yards. Staff was super friendly and very helpful. We stayed on a weekend and got an excellent rate so I gave value the highest rating. One thing to be are of, the thermostats are on motion sensing device and go off at night unless you program it to stay on. It is a little tricky at 3 in the morning. It must be reset every 24 hours. I highly recommend this hotel unless you are used to only the utmost luxury in properties.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the art gallery up high and away from noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

We chose this hotel because of its proximity to the many important sites in Washington. We'll be sure to stay here again.
Our room, on an upper level, was spacious and quiet. It was very clean. We slept very well. Breakfast is served in a cafe on the lower level, where one could get breakfast items a la carte. The location of this hotel could not be better. It is a short walk to the National Mall, museums, and some really fine dining options.
Only minor quip with the room is that we wished for a full height mirror. Also closet space was a bit tight. Still, I liked this hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely go for higher floor rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JCArchT
Warminster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

This Courtyard by Marriott is located in an old bank building with unique décor and architecture in the lobby and food service area. The location is perfect for exploring Washington, D.C.

Upon arrival we searched for the valet to park our car and found her inside talking (our only disappointment while here). At check-in we were greeted by Karen, who was accommodating, welcoming and friendly. We stayed in room 423 and, while small, the room was fine for our needs. It was clean, with two double beds, a refrigerator, tv, free internet and a comfortable mattress. The air conditioning did seem a little inconsistent and went from warm to cold during the night. They offered popcorn and chocolate chip cookies around 4 pm in the lobby but we didn’t partake of either. Instead we headed out to walk the streets to find a bite to eat. There are many restaurants nearby so it was no problem to find something. A small restaurant next door (Amorini Panini) was a great find for a quick breakfast with great prices. We also enjoyed a late evening meal one night in the Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant across from the lobby and were grateful for the convenience of location.

At checkout we ran into Karen again with her happy smile and cheery attitude. We would definitely stay here again when we're in the area.

Room Tip: Our room faced the Verizon Center, 4th floor. Good location.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank 83TRAVEL
Prescott Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

When we arrived, we turned the car keys over to the valet and didn't see it again until we left. Everything we wanted to see and do was within blocks of this hotel. The name should really be "Courtyard by Marriott Penn Quarter"! What a great location. Every staff member we saw was friendly and full of helpful advice on restaurants and the best times to go where, anything we wanted. Our room was clean, quiet and larger than we expected for a city hotel. The bathroom was huge with plenty of towels and a double sink, just like home. :)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple