“You can bank on it!”

Ranked #44 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Seattle, WA
“You can bank on it!”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

The Courtyard Marriott Washington D.C. is built in a vintage bank building which explains the quirkiness of it's space and its character. The tiny pool and spa is built in the old bank vault. The signage on the stairwell leading from the main lobby to the lower level still indicates it leads to the safe deposit boxes.

As other reviewers have pointed out, the staff at this Marriott are amazing. Check in was a breeze and front desk couldn't have been friendlier. He even called my room after checking in to make sure every thing was okay.

I had a room on the third floor facing the street. It was small but comfortable and tastefully decorated in a non-cookie cutter style that made me think I was in a boutique hotel and not a national chain. The room was clean and well-appointed, It included a microwave, coffee maker, and small fridge. It also included free WiFi (an amazing premium in a city like D.C.). The room was quiet and the housekeeping staff were efficient and non-intrusive.

There is a separate weight room and workout room in the basement level. The workout room includes two elliptical machines and three treadmills. All are equipped with personal televisions. There is a tiny pool and spa adjacent to the workout room.

The basement also houses a bistro that serves breakfast (via menu on weekdays and buffet on weekends). My breakfast was included in the price of the room. There is a nice selection and the service was quick and friendly.

There is a Gordon Biersche Restaurant located on the property. They also provide the limited room service. I ordered dinner via room service all three nights I stayed at the hotel. Each night it was delivered within 20 minutes and the room service staff were very friendly. The food was tasty and reasonably priced (for room service). Tip: Call the front desk to connect you with room service. For some reason the room service number provided in the room doesn't work and just gives you a busy signal.

I can't say enough about the location. The hotel is about a block from the Gallery Metro Stop so it was just a 15 minute train ride from Reagan National Airport and it only cost $3! The hotel is also less than a block from the National Portrait Gallery. The hotel is also within an easy walk to all of Washington D.C.'s attractions.

I highly recommend the Courtyard Marriott Washington D.C. Convention Center to business travelers and visitors alike. It offers great value and a great location without sacrificing style or comfort.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Rshorter913, Operations Manager at Courtyard Washington Convention Center, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for your visit and for sharing your valuable feedback. We agree and as you have experienced during your stay, "you can bank on" efficient service, clean and comfortable rooms, friendly staff, and great food options. Our hotel is very unique and although housed in a converted bank, has the charm of a boutique hotel and we are able to appeal to every guest. We are glad that we were able to exceed your expectations and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warmest regards,

Ralph Shorter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Clean, safe, and staff was very friendly and helpful. The location is perfect, within walking distance to the National Mall and museums. Enjoyed the on site restaurant. The room was spacious with plenty of closet and drawer space. Bed was very comfortable. Can't say enough about how courteous the staff was.

Room Tip: Ask for the newly remodeled rooms. They are more spacious than the older rooms and have a walk-in s...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your visit and sharing your comments. We agree our downtown location is excellent and convenient to all points of interest. We are glad that you found our staff friendly and were able to meet your needs. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Absolutely fantastic hotel. Service is impeccable, much more than I ever expected from a Courtyard by Marriott. Our group of 16 all enjoyed the stay and were very grateful to the staff for ensuring we had rooms all together. We loved the happy hour offerings in the lobby on Friday.

The rooms were clean, comfortable and had both microwave ovens and mini-fridges. Our view was fantastic, overlooking F St NW. Free coffee and tea is available in the lobby behind the TV screen and the breakfast area, serving Starbucks coffee (limited menu), is just downstairs. The history of the building is cool, with a bank safe door still adorning one wall in the breakfast area.

You do need your room key to enter the hotel after hours and to use the elevator at any time. This is a nice feature as it keeps the random tourist from wandering the halls of the hotel. Nice when it is so close to the many great attractions DC has to offer.

Valet parking may seem expensive, but is in-line with most hotels in the area... and gives one of the few options for parking overnight in the city.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed 4 nights Aug 18-22, and I can't say enough good things about my stay. The staff is courteous beyond measure. At check-in I was upgraded to Room 726, a "king spa room" with a king bed, desk and nice rolling desk chair, a large TV flat screen that swiveled to be viewed from the desk, the pull-out couch, or the very, very comfy bed. The bathroom had a walk-in spa shower with three shower heads, and upscale Paul Mitchell shampoo, conditioner, and lotion.

I had an issue with some of the TV channels not tuning in well and it was fixed by the engineer immediately, easy peasy.

The staff has been courteous and helpful, from the front desk to the doorman to housekeeping. I even received a call from the front desk to see if there was anything they could do to make my stay more comfortable. I've started to wonder if they mistakenly think I'm some sort of VIP (but believe me, I'm not!)

I would absolutely recommend the Courtyard Marriott Convention Center to any of my family or friends. It's so convenient to the Gallery Place/Chinatown Metro stop (less than a block), there's a good restaurant in the lobby (Gordon Biersch, which also provides room service), a Subway subs for the budget-conscious a half block away, and a CVS pharmacy for cheap bottled water or any forgotten sundries 2 blocks from the hotel.

My parents stayed here 4 years ago, in June 2008, and I think they rooms have been updated since then. The security is good, you have to have a room key to make the elevator operate to go to the guest room floors. I will definitely stay here again when next in DC!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank AuntieRita
We are so pleased you enjoyed your visit with us and found our location ideal. We strive to exceed our guest expectations and are glad you enjoyed our hotel amenities and food outlets. We are looking forward to your next visit with us.

Ralph Shorter Operations Manager
Honolulu, Hawaii USA
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We stayed here over the July 4th weekend, and we really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is conveniently located, within walking distance of most of the major sites and monuments of Washington, D.C. The hotel itself is comfortable, as you'd expect from a Courtyard Marriott. I appreciate the in-room coffee maker and the free wi-fi, as I was there on business. The concierge is very helpful. In fact, I found all of the employees happy to go out of their way to assist their guests.

The fitness center is small, but functional. The pool is quite small--much too small to swim laps in, but it would probably satisfy small children who need some pool time.

This hotel does not try to be a five-star hotel, but it performs very well in the market segment that it does target. This was my second stay at this hotel, and I will definitely stay here again when I am in the D.C. area again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Rshorter913, Operations Manager at Courtyard Washington Convention Center, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for your visit and comments. We are happy that you enjoyed your visit and found our location ideal and staff so friendly and helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Warm regards, Ralph Shorter Operations Manager
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We were in the area for a family wedding. This was one of the hotels on the recommended list sent with the invitation. We are very happy we chose it. The rooms were small but nice. The staff was friendly and helpful. The location, across the street from the Spy Museum, was perfect. Easy walking to the major Smithsonian museums and right by a metro stop, making an easy commute to and from the airport. We did not use the exercise room or swimming pool. We did look at the pool and it was tiny.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your visit and sharing your comments. We agree our downtown location is excellent and convenient to all points of interest. We are so pleased you found our staff friendly and welcoming. Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding our housekeeping services. We strive to make sure each guest is completely satisfied, and I’m sorry that you were disturbed. We are glad that your overall stay with us was excellent and we hope to welcome you again in future.

Audubon, New Jersey
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I were very pleased with our choice to stay here! The staff was very friendly and helpful, the room was beautiful, and the bed- sooo comfy! The location was perfect! 3 block walk to the metro, nice restaurants near by, as well as fast food options, and of course its close to all the attractions. just perfect. We would definitely love to stay again! You should definitely try the restaurant next door (well maybe 2-3 doors down)- its called Pi Pizzeria and its AWESOME. we ate there twice in our 4 day stay:). the ONLY negative thing I could say about this place was on the second day the maids came at 4:30pm, and we were already back resting, and the third day they came at 8:30 am and we were still sleeping. It really didn't bother me, but I know that would bother some people. Overall, we were so pleased and would definitely recommend it!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple