“Good food, lousy service”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Tai Shan - CLOSED

Tai Shan
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Acton, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,666 helpful votes
“Good food, lousy service”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Pretty good barebones Chinese restaurant in Chinatown. We hopped in on a whim after strolling through Gallery place. Even at 9:00 P.M., it was pretty busy (which is a good sign), but the waitresses found us a seat quickly.

In a style reminiscent of Chinatown in San Francisco, a dozen or so “specials” were posted on the wall. There was also a normal dinner menu as well as dinner specials that included main course and rice. We opted for beef with vegetables and pork with vegetables. Both were very good. I requested mine to have a little heat, and it had precisely that – not too much, not too little. At $8.95 each, they were a bargain, and unlike San Francisco, credit cards were accepted.

Unfortunately, the restaurant suffers from poor service. Only one of the waitresses did NOT wear an expression that reeked of “Man do I hate this crummy job!” They dropped off water, menus, and food like robots, yet it took quite a while for these robots to take our order and deliver the food. This was somewhat disconcerting because we had a train to catch. Almost impossible to get their attention. Never a concern for our satisfaction or the quality of the meal. Never a refill on water. This definitely isn’t a place where you’re agonizing over whether to give 15% or 20% tip!

Maybe it’s only fitting that all three of our fortunes (I received two, my son only one) were identical. We wondered if the restaurant saved a little money by bargaining with a cookie manufacturer that only produced one fortune per box.

In sum, don’t go to Tai Shan for romance or to be pampered. Go for the food quality and price performance when you’re relaxed, with friends, and not averse to drinking a couple beers while waiting for your food.

• Visited July 2013
4 Thank Cherry_Wonderdog

Texas
“Good food; convenient location”
Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

Coming off the Metro, we looked for a place to have lunch in ChinaTown. Of course we spotted several restaurants nearby. After reviewing the menu in the window we selected this restaurant. The lunch menu had a good number of selections. Fried rice does not cost extra here - which is nice. The portions were really good, the food was flavorful and the staff worked hard to make sure our water glasses stayed full. Overall, a good stop to make for a tasty lunch.

Visited May 2013
Connecticut
“Decent; Expected more from Chinatown”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We went to Chinatown looking for some authentic Chinese food. We chose this place as it had the right look- not very upscale and someplace like the locals might be eating at, so we tried for dinner a few nights ago. The menu was great and covered all the bases. The food was good and flavorful. The prices were a tad on the high side for full dinners- I assume it was just DC pricing. Specials could be had for 9 dollars for bascially lunch portions; full dinners were 12-20 dollars.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank 1dancing_fool
Saint Charles, Illinois
“Decent eats at fair price”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Came to this place after I checked into my hotel. It is not a fancy place that offered typical Cantonese flavors. The roast duck noodle and house vegetable in oyster sause I ordered were good. The service was quick and pleasant. Nothing exciting to write home about, but a decent meal at fair prices.

Visited November 2012
Chula Vista, CA
“Prepare for leftovers!”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

While I love Chinese food, I am usually ordering something I know and have tasted before. So when I came into this restaurant I ordered sweet and sour chicken with fried rice and hot tea. Nothing out of the ordinary. The only thing is that it was cold! All the other guests in our party had nothing wrong with their plates but my food was cold. I didn't speak up to the servers because I knew there was so much of it that I was taking it home and so I would microwave it myself....but it was served cold.

1 Thank AnnieGodinez