“Horrible Hotel - Staff a Mixed Bag”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #102 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Boston, Massachusetts
“Horrible Hotel - Staff a Mixed Bag”
Reviewed July 28, 2007

This hotel is in a nice area, and close to the metro. That is all that is nice about it. My room smelled like paint the entire time, and construction workers walking across the roof in front of my window was not a pleasant sight to wake up to. My drain in the shower was clogged. I called downstairs to have it fixed, and somebody did come up and work on it, but did not leave the area they fixed clean. There is no mini bar/fridge, and the vending machines did not work on my floor, so the only way to get a bottle of water was to go to the gift shop and purchase some (a huge inconvenience). The sheets on my bed were scratchy (it felt like the fabric was pilling). Also, do not stay here if you are disabled. I was traveling with someone who is disabled and had confirmed a handicapped room, but was not given one when we checked in. The security personnel were also not helpful when she became ill and needed to be taken to the emergency room.

On a better note, the room service staff as well as the cleaning staff were fine and pleasant.

• Liked — Close to Metro
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank DC_Traveler88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
washington, utah
Reviewed June 29, 2007

Nice, pretty hotel.. close to zoo and metro line. BUT, my company paid for me to stay for 4 days. When we got there to check in they said they had no confirmation email.. so I had to pay 200 dollars of my own money to stay the night. come to find out.. my company sent that email and they received that email a month before. but did not read it. were not friendly were not willing to compensate anything. They did refund my money the next day when I proved that my company paid a month before. there were no bath towels in the room. Walls very very thin. Employees and managers not very friendly unless you throw a fit about how crappy of a job they are doing. Make sure you bring a fax or email confirmation with you that you paid. because trust me they will lose it. Please beware of this hotel.

• Liked — mcdonalds and the zoo were close by
  • Disliked — the staff very unfriendly
1 Thank tripperson

Travelers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

San Diego, CA
Reviewed June 27, 2007

I stayed at the Wardman Park Marriott from Wednesday 6/13 to Sunday 6/17.

Check-in: A - I checked in at 11am and received our room right away. Staff was polite and helpful.

Room: A - I was in the Wardman Tower room 1344. It was a standard room with a king sized bed. The bathroom was large and clean. As was the room. There was plenty of closet space in the walk-in closet. I was on the first floor with a view of the pool. Although I thought it may be noisy being directly next to the pool, I never heard a sound when the window was closed.

Housekeeping: A+ - Housekeeping was great. They came each afternoon and cleaned the room very well. They left extra towels and toiletries each day. The service was excellent.

Room Service: A- - Room service was prompt and the food was hot. The only complaint I had was they served it on a tray and not on a rolling table. Otherwise it was good.

Overall I would give the hotel an A. It was close to the Metro stop and the Wardman tower had historic charm. I would chose to stay here again!

• Liked — The Historic Charm
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank MissAllieee
boston
Reviewed June 18, 2007

We stayed the weekend of June 10th for our anniversary. We choose this location due to the fact close to the zoo,
We had a great room and room service ( which was average).
The common areas where very attractive and the onsite Starbucks is a plus. The metro stops right at the hotel which is wonderful

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank alexandra k
Reviewed June 16, 2007

Everything is run very well. Clean, good meeting rooms. At night the only intertainment is the bar. My wife and I were there 5 nights and had to leave the hotel to find music and dancing. We would have preferred to stay around the hotel. Washington has a lot of bars, but not to many places to dance, at least for people in their 50s. Safe neighorhood; no reason not to stay here. Don't eat breakfast at hotel, go to "Open City" at the foot of the hill right out side of the hotel.

1 Thank Voyles
United States
Reviewed June 12, 2007

I make a weekend trip to DC with the kids every year. We have stayed at the Marriott Wardman twice. Both times, I was very pleased.

First, I booked the room both times on priceline. I paid less then a $90 a night both times. But the hotel did not treat us any differently. In fact, the first stay they upgraded us to a suite.

Second, the hotel is large and has a nice fitness center and two pools. The pools are important when traveling with kids. It has everything you'd expect in a 4 star hotel.

Third, the hotel is close to the Washington Zoo. We park on a side street near the hotel or near the zoo, for free. We then spend the weekend walking to the zoo and the local restaurants.

Fourth, it is great for kids. With the zoo and a wide variety of restaurants in all budget categories within walking distance, it is easy on parents. There is even a McDonalds one block away where you can get $1 bottles of water and $1 hot fudge sundaes. At the hotel at there is a starbucks where we can grab a quick muffin and hot chocolate on the way to the zoo. My two kids (9 and 11), request that we stay at this hotel.

I am a Marriott Rewards member and prefer their hotels. They are smoke-free, have PEPSI not Coca-cola, and have clean, comfortable rooms.

The Wardman is very nice. I highly recommend it for families. Washington DC has alot of 'free' attractions, so it is a little easier to splurge on a nicer hotel. Or you can use priceline and look for a 4 star hotel in the area of the zoo and probably luck out with a great rate at the Wardman. I have twice.

• Liked — Luxury, pools, and hotel close to zoo
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 10, 2007

Sometimes things start off badly, then continue downhill from there. So it was with my recent two-night stay at the Marriott Wardman Park. I’d had high hopes, as I’d had a pleasant stay there a couple of years ago. How things have changed.

Although many of the rooms have been recently updated, the updates were apparently done at the expense of staff training – or perhaps even staff members.

The desk clerk who checked me in was efficient, but almost surly. When I asked whether they had a king or queen room instead a room with two double beds, the response was a curt, “No; we’re sold out.” Apparently polite treatment is not a benefit of membership in the Marriott Rewards program.

When I got to the newly-renovated room I found contemporary furnishings, a plasma TV, a comfortable bed…and evidence that the housekeeping department needs some dramatic improvement. The bathroom had only one bath towel and one hand towel, the previous guest’s empty shampoo bottle was still on the floor, the tub drain was broken, and dust was caked on the vent above the showerhead.

After unpacking, I went to Harry’s Pub in the lobby where I got a second serving of surly. Granted, the pub was busy, but it took too long before I saw a server, and even longer before my beer arrived. Then, when my sandwich was ready, I got a “drive-by delivery”; the server barely slowed down as she strode past my table and plopped the plate in front of me. Getting my check promptly? Fuhgeddaboudit.

The new bed was indeed quite comfortable, which I couldn’t help but notice when I was jolted awake to the clattering of dishes as the room service cart down the hall was retrieved at about 4:30 a.m. I may have been awake, but at least I was comfy.

Breakfast in Perle’s Café was, well, a hotel breakfast. Kudos for quickly making and delivering items ordered from the menu (the restaurant’s primary breakfast fare is a buffet), but my waitperson seemed perplexed when I asked for Tabasco® sauce and ketchup to go with my eggs and hash browns. She took an inordinately long time to find and deliver these basic condiments, and was almost impossible to locate when it came time to get my check.

Housekeeping did honor my request to make up my room early. However, they apparently missed the wine glass from the night before; it remained undisturbed on the side table where I’d placed it.

On the final day of my stay, I had a 12:15 p.m. conference call so I asked the front desk for a late checkout so I could take the call in the privacy of my room. Again, fuhgeddaboudit.

On the positive side, the hotel does have a well-equipped fitness center. It’s current in slightly-cramped, temporary quarters, but is still better than most hotel fitness centers I’ve used. And the Marriott Wardman Park is in a convenient location. But so is the Omni Shoreham across the street. I should have stuck to my original plan: stay at the Omni (where I’ve been treated quite well) and walk across the street to the Marriott for my seminar.

• Liked — Its convenient location near the Metro.
  • Disliked — The overall lack of concern about providing excellent customer service.
4 Thank TheTravelPro_us