“Noisy as Hell”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #106 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed September 4, 2010

I had to include this experience because it was rather unbelievable to me and my colleagues. We checked into the hotel in the early afternoon and settled in for the night after going out for a great Lebanese meal. Shortly after falling asleep I was awakened (I am not a light sleeper) by what sounded like clanging or rather banging. I called the front desk and they told me "oh, that's just the pipes but just in case we will dispatch a guard to make sure no one is outside the door or making noise in the corridor". What struck me about this is the obvious, they were already aware that this problem existed but chose to book my colleague into these two rooms where pipes were banging in the beginning of warm weather". I was as you can imagine too pissed and too tired to fight that night but in the morning after sharing notes with my colleague we were upgraded to another equally noisy floor with a soda machine across from our room UGH! I had the opportunity to return to Washington, DC in August and believe me Waldman Park was not even on my radar.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank kbinns

Reviewed August 31, 2010

It was a simple thing, really, There were ants in my bathroom. At 6:30 a.m. I went to the front desk and asked that they send someone to spray. No worries. But they insisted that they would have to move me to another room--unfortunately no other rooms were available. So they asked that I checked back. I did so--5 different times throughout the day. I also left my cell phone number so that they could call me to let me know when the new room was available. All through the day--up to 9:00 p.m. at night, they never moved me to another room nor did they spray for the ants. Finally at 9:30 p.m. the night manager Jared told me there was nothing he could do--no rooms were available. When I told him that I couldn't believe that no rooms became empty throughout the day, he agreed saying simply that they didn't get around to getting me in a room. He could have cared less. His solution was just to credit me a night's stay. Nice--but it didn't take care of the ants. I still had to ask them to spray. Which they did at 10 at night. Next morning there were still ants in the bathroom. I moved to another room after that and asked for a day-time manager to contact me. It never happened. They really could care less. The hotel is in a decent location--next to a metro stop. It is large, great for conferences--too bad that they don't have the customer service attitude that makes guests feel welcome and attended to. I would not recommend this hotel based on the service I received.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank fun1wpb
Reviewed August 27, 2010

The other reviews are spot on. Close to the metro and restaurants in Adams Morgan. Restaurants and services in hotel are WAY overpriced and crappy. They act like they're doing you a favor by serving you. Quiet location and the rooms were quiet except for the fact that there was a 1" gap between the floor and the front door so we could hear everything in the hallway and the light from the hallway was very bright. I noticed that in a number of rooms.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed August 15, 2010

My grown daughters & I planned a DC weekend getaway and picked this hotel. It was fabulous! Check in was swift and easy..bell stand was so nice and friendly...concierge was very very helpful in mapping out some travel issues with the metro....restaurants were very good, service excellent. We stayed in the older Tower and it was colonial decor...so beautiful! It is very close to the zoo...but we choose to ride the Metro to the Smithsonian and downtown...metro stop is right down the hill from the hotel. The grounds are immaculate! I walked around the looking at the beautiful flowers. We did take a couple cabs to the hotel and it was about $13.00 from Georgetown to the Marriott.
It's mostly for groups and businesses but very tourist, family friendly as well. The bedding was the best...AND it was soooooooo quiet, I felt like I was sleeping at home! Bed was very comfy! You will not find a more friendly hotel!

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank desvw1029
Reviewed August 6, 2010

We chose this hotel because it was so close to the Subway station, as others have noted. The hotel is very large and can be hard to get your bearings. Our room was very large, and had 2 double beds as we requested. The lady who checked us in was very rude (as others have noted as well). The food in the restaurants was VERY overpriced - but it is a big city, so we anticipated that. We had a small refrigerator in our room and we packed breakfast. For dinner, I took the advice of another reviewer and went across the street to Murphy's Irish Pub. The food was reasonably priced and my son loved his dinner (if you want a place a kid will enjoy). We all really enjoyed Murphy's - good prices, big portions. All in all, a good stay. The purpose of our trip was to do the Smithsonian, which we needed the subway to do. If you want to do the free National Zoo, it's walking distance from this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Dentalhygienist
Reviewed July 30, 2010

We booked our stay at the Marriot through Priceline and received a great deal for our family trip to the DC attractions. We loved the fact the Metro was right across the street and there was a variety of restuarants for all different tastes within walking distance. We didn't feel the need to use our car the whole time we were there. The pool was a great hit with our girls and the surrounding landscape was beautiful. The zoo is 3 blocks away.

We had read the comments on Trip Advisor about noise. It didn't seem that much louder than other hotels, but we brought a sound machine to block out the noise for a good night's sleep. Our double beds were comfortable but we would have preferred queen beds. The parking and internet fees were steep but we knew that going in. We felt that with our great deal with Priceline that we still came out cheaper if we had gone to another hotel.

The staff was friendly and helpful and our rooms were clean. We had a very nice experience and would definitely do it all over again!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank BeachMamaNumberOne
Reviewed July 23, 2010

My fiancee and I traveled to the DC area for the Fourth of July weekend, we were very excited to stay at this hotel. It is a very big and beautiful hotel. When we arrived the front desk clerk was very bland and was not friendly. None of the staff was friendly or seemed to have a personality. When we got into the room we were sooooo disappointed. The room was very small, no microwave, the fridge was outdated and wobbly. The bathroom floor was covered with hair and the tub was not very clean. The hotel does have bars, but they close way too early. Parking, high speed internet and breakfast was very expensive. The whole hotel was just a disappointment... maybe I just had my hopes too high.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple