“Disappointing”

Ranked #103 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
J10000_0
“Disappointing”
Reviewed April 28, 2010

The Marriott Wardman is sold as a sophisticated hotel but is far from achieving this title. The room was clean and well serviced but the general service within the hotel was extremely poor. For a hotel to offer to host large conferences, the facilities were not able to cope with the number of people, lunch was a struggle to get and finally the price and the quality of the food was questionable - better to go out onto the main street and grab some food, much quicker and cheaper. Also during the stay the temperatures outside reach about 28c, as our room has no fridge we requested if one was available, they informed us that they had run out . Added to this was the fact that being there on business no free Wifi was offered in the rooms, this was an additional cost! For the price paid for the hotel and the standard of service which is supposedly offered it is disappointing.

2 Thank J10000_0

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
seattle
Reviewed April 24, 2010

The good:
- signs on each floor asking guests to be quiet. My room was by the elevator and it was quiet
- rooms are updated with flat screen TVs and a nice lobby
- decent restaurant and conference facilities
- right next to the metro

The bad:
- upon check-in I was informed that my reservation was cancelled and they did not have a king room
- my room was dirty - used washclothes in the bathtub, unmade bed, trash in the trashbin
- when my work credit card was declined, and I asked the hotel to try again the front-desk clerk simply looked away to help the next person (wow... that was the rudest behavior I have ever experienced).
- the gym was nasty - dirty sweaty machines, the elliptical I was using was loudly squeeking for the first 20 minutes and then literally broke under me! The "attendant" on duty was on the phone the entire time with his buddy, not attending to the dirty machines.
- after using the gym, I went to my room to use the shower and the hot water did not work. Maintenance was 30 minutes late. When I went to the front desk to complain, they asked "so, you want to take a shower tonight?" wow...
- no free wi-fi in rooms. I used the wired internet for $13/day one day, and was charged for 2 days of usage.
- one day it was raining, I asked the concierge if they had any hotel umbrellas for guests to borrow, I was told "that's what the gift-shop is for"

This trip was for a business conference and the hotel was way overpriced. I would not recommend staying in this hotel. Customer service is very poor.

2 Thank seattlesun6

Travelers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

Massachusetts
Reviewed April 21, 2010

Also, idiotic, unhelpful concierge that steered us to an italian restaurant across the street that served literally the worst meal I've ever paid for. Really big, expensive and everyone has to drag their laptops down to the lobby or bar for service. Miniscule room for 4 people.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed April 19, 2010

It was a nice hotel and the staff was kind. They had restaurants but they were pricey! Even the restaurants near the hotel were a bit expensive. There are quite a few places to visit within walking distance but take a cab or the bus to the city's historic sites. I was in town for business but they had long lunch periods so I got a chance to walk to affordable lunch spots. Overall, a nice hotel

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Rhode Island
Reviewed April 19, 2010

Good sized room in a fantastic location. The cons: A/C was either too cold or too warm, coffee shop staff was rude, hot water took forever, cable TV selection was not very good. Pros: Right next to the Metro, tons of amenities, nice staff. Oh, and get the King-size bed, if you can... double beds are not designed for two people.

2 Thank lousybutler
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 12, 2010

While this is a busy convention hotel, this did not bother our family of four one bit. We were in a room in the central tower which gave us a great view, easy access to the lobby for free WiFi and an entrance that leads directly to the Woodley Park Metro station. We walked a lot and it was great to return to a clean, comfortable room. The bathroom was a bit small, but the standard Marriott furnishings were great. We expected the high ($32) parking cost, so that was no big deal. The garage is a bit of a walk from the main lobby.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed April 9, 2010

This hotel does not honor confirmed reservations--unless you want to be sent somewhere else, don't risk making a reservation here. I had a confirmed reservation (guaranteed by credit card) for 3 nights arriving April 8. When my flight was delayed, I called and notified the hotel that morning that I might arrive as later as 11:00 p.m. and they said there was no problem. I called again about 10:00 p.m. to tell them that I was further delayed, and they told me they would hold the room. When I finally got to the hotel about midnight, they told me they were sold out and that they had "walked" 57 people already that day because they oversold the rooms. The manager admitted that I had a confirmed reservation, but said it didn't matter. I was sent to a different Marriott hotel for the night, far from where I wanted to be the next day, and told there was nothing I could do about it. Wrong! I can let the rest of you know how this hotel treats its customers. You can bet that if I was the one that hadn't showed up, they'd have still charged that room to my credit card because I'd "guaranteed" it, yet they felt no obligation to hold the room for me. Seems guarantees are a one-way street here.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo