“Nice hotel but bring walking shoes”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #103 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Albuquerque, NM
“Nice hotel but bring walking shoes”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2010

It was a nice hotel and the staff was kind. They had restaurants but they were pricey! Even the restaurants near the hotel were a bit expensive. There are quite a few places to visit within walking distance but take a cab or the bus to the city's historic sites. I was in town for business but they had long lunch periods so I got a chance to walk to affordable lunch spots. Overall, a nice hotel

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2010

Good sized room in a fantastic location. The cons: A/C was either too cold or too warm, coffee shop staff was rude, hot water took forever, cable TV selection was not very good. Pros: Right next to the Metro, tons of amenities, nice staff. Oh, and get the King-size bed, if you can... double beds are not designed for two people.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank lousybutler
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

While this is a busy convention hotel, this did not bother our family of four one bit. We were in a room in the central tower which gave us a great view, easy access to the lobby for free WiFi and an entrance that leads directly to the Woodley Park Metro station. We walked a lot and it was great to return to a clean, comfortable room. The bathroom was a bit small, but the standard Marriott furnishings were great. We expected the high ($32) parking cost, so that was no big deal. The garage is a bit of a walk from the main lobby.

San Francisco, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2010

This hotel does not honor confirmed reservations--unless you want to be sent somewhere else, don't risk making a reservation here. I had a confirmed reservation (guaranteed by credit card) for 3 nights arriving April 8. When my flight was delayed, I called and notified the hotel that morning that I might arrive as later as 11:00 p.m. and they said there was no problem. I called again about 10:00 p.m. to tell them that I was further delayed, and they told me they would hold the room. When I finally got to the hotel about midnight, they told me they were sold out and that they had "walked" 57 people already that day because they oversold the rooms. The manager admitted that I had a confirmed reservation, but said it didn't matter. I was sent to a different Marriott hotel for the night, far from where I wanted to be the next day, and told there was nothing I could do about it. Wrong! I can let the rest of you know how this hotel treats its customers. You can bet that if I was the one that hadn't showed up, they'd have still charged that room to my credit card because I'd "guaranteed" it, yet they felt no obligation to hold the room for me. Seems guarantees are a one-way street here.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
5 Thank Nancy17

Travelers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights from April 2-4. Location is great because it's close to the Zoo and Metro. We signed up for the Zoo Package on Marriot.com which was supposed to come with a big giftbag or zoo paraphenilia. Upon arrival, the rude receptionist told me that the package was from last year and all they could give me was a zoo map. She did not offer anything to make up for their website's mistake. Then the room was dirty (sticky surfaces, food particles from pervious tenants were still on the carpet). This was the WORST hotel I have stayed at and I have stayed at many hotels in my life. This Marriot acts like they can get away with anything, because they know they are the only hotel in the area.

3 Thank 9749
Westchester, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2010

We were in DC over the school April break and all our favorite hotels were booked up. I booked the Marriot Wardman as a last resort but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. We booked a package that included breakfast and it was the best hotel breakfast we've had. We requested a quiet room in the new section (yes, the old section is charming but since tripadvisor travelers warned of paper-thin walls, we decided to play it safe.) The room was large by DC standards (big enough to fit a rollaway into along with two double beds and still have room to move.) The view was of the back of the building (not good) but it was quiet. My only complaints were 1. that there weren't enough computers in the lobby. We always had to wait for one. and 2. One of the hotel doors to the garage was accessible without a key card--a security breach. We informed the hotel but they did nothing about it while we were there. Otherwise, I would recommend this hotel if you are traveling with children and need space and breakfast with your room. It is right near the Woodley/Adams (red Line) metro stop so it's fine for getting around DC.

Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2010

My husband, 14-year-old-son and I stayed at the Marriott Wardman Park over spring break (7 nights). The front desk clerk gave us a spacious room on the top floor of the Wardman Tower, with two closets, a room fridge, and a lovely view of the tulip plantings and flowering trees on the hotel grounds. This was very nice--though It would have been less pleasant had the hotel been crowded with conference attendees. There are only two elevators, and both are small and slow.

The best thing about this hotel is its location. It's right across from the Woodley Park/National Zoo metro stop and a pleasant walk across the Connecticut Avenue bridge to Kalorama and Dupont Circle. Lots of restaurants, book shops, coffee shops, etc. nearby.

One warning--the hotel offers the use of three complimentary computers in the lobby (right next to the bar where it's noisy and very dark) for web browsing. If you have any real work to do, however, the hotel business center charges $24/hour (!!!!) for the use of its MS Office-enabled computers and printers. So definitely bring your laptop.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family