“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #103 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
NYC
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2006

Staying at this hotel was a pleasant surprise. I booked the last minute and wasn't expecting much after reading some other reviews. But everything was great! Check-in and check-out were a breeze, our room was clean and spacious, the staff was cordial and helpful. Plenty of counter space in the bathroom. Linens were changed every day. Coffee, shampoo and conditioner were replenished daily. Shower pressure was strong and temperature was as hot as I wanted. The concierge was available every day until 11pm and helped me immensely. I loved the location; even though we were a 10 minute cab ride or short metro ride from the memorials/monuments/museums, we were in walking distance to at least a dozen restaurants and CVS. My only 2 complaints: we had to pay for internet service and no safe in the room. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have: Lami86@aol.com

13 Thank Lammi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
swansea, sc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2006

Loved this hotel. Staff were wonderful and the hotel was very clean. I would definitely recommend this hotel to any of my friends.

8 Thank lolliepig
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2006

I really enjoyed the two nights that I spent at this hotel. I was there for a conference and thought the hotel was lovely. The restaurants were very good (especially the gourmet sandwich shop) and having a Starbucks in the hotel was very nice. I thought the service was more than adequate--although I'm not a very demanding guest! The hotel was very close to the metro and very easy to access. While this hotel is not within walking distance of many tourist spots, it is a very easy metro ride. I even took the metro with all my bags to Union Station to catch an Amtrak. Very doable. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
11 Thank EmilyV227
Loudon, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2006

We stayed from 3/30 to 4/2 in the Wardman Tower - looking at the Washington Monument and Capital in the distance from the 7th floor, our friends looking at the top of the National Cathedral from their room across the hall - fabulous location. Metro right there, the Zoo is just up the street, Dupont Circle in the other direction.

See my pictures - great old hotel with a lot of character in a wonderful setting/location.

So handy to have a Starbucks in the hotel – we just love DC. Our new favorite hotel is the Wardman, for its location and accommodations.

10 Thank PlayaDelCarmenFreak
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2006

This is a very large conference / convention hotel with three accomodation towers.
Checkin & checkout was fast & efficient. It could be different at busy times with many new arrivals.
I had a good clean modern very comfortable room on 8th floor. It was about 10 rooms for elevators (4).
Yes you will get lots of exercise just walking around within hotel complex. Please wear comfortable footwear.
I would recommend that everybody spends 10+ minutes exploring hotel as soon as possible after checkin. It will help you become familiar with layout and location of coffee shops / convenience store / pub and restaurants / fitness centre / swimming pools / various conference rooms. All the public areas were in very good condition and clean.
It is located in a quiet residential area with very nice landscaped grounds.
It is a nice area to take a walk around the block. It is an easy walk down Connecticut Ave to the White House area etc etc. It is easy to get to the Zoo and or the National Cathedral.
The Red Line Metro stop is next to one of the hotel exits. A large convenience store is minutes away. Many dining choices available locally.
You have a choice of entrances, one is a gentle slope, another is a little hill climb. No problem with reasonable fitness.
My reaction to many of the negative posts was "Are we talking about the same hotel ?"
I will stay again and would recommend to family and business colleagues. Please compare the special hotel price offered via email/phone for specific dates with various internet sites. The price variations offered can be unbelievable.

• Stayed May 2004, traveled on business
16 Thank Newo
SwVa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2006

I have stayed at the Wardman for several conferences. Until recently, I thought that the Wardman was better than average, but my recent trip changed that.

My most recent experience is based on being a conference attendee though I was staying at another Marriott hotel, the Renaissance Mayflower (highly recommend). One morning, I took a cab from the Mayflower to the Wardman only to realize that I had left my wallet at the Mayflower. I did have my checkbook and so asked the manager on duty at the Wardman if I could write a check for $6.00 and explained that I was staying at the Renaissance and that I was a Silver ELite member. He refused to let me write a check for $6.00 and would not even call the Mayflower to confirm my information. I left the counter in a panic. Fortunately, for me one of the Wardman non-management associates (Marriott's word for employees), a woman named Karan, overheard my conversation. She followed me out to my cab and gave me $10.00 of her own money for my cab fare. I could not thank her enough.

In addition, while I was standing in line to TRY and write a check for $6.00, a man in front of me was complaining. Apparently, it was the third time his room key had stopped working, and he was demanding that it be fixed.

All in all, the regular associates of the Wardman are wonderful. I cannot say the same about the management associates.

6 Thank phorid