“Great space for conventions...terrible hotel service”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #104 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed November 21, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for a convention. The hotel is enormous--so much so that you can imagine it being on the Las Vegas Strip. It takes awhile to get the hang of the hotel and demystify it. It's located in a quiet residential location. There are many great restaurants located on Connecticut Avenue outside the hotel. It's also a 15 minute walk from Dupont Circle.

The rooms were quite nice.spacious, and beautiful. But the hotel was grossly understaffed given that 3000 people were there.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Washington Marriott Wardman Park

Reviewed November 21, 2009

We got this place through Priceline, like many others. Looks like you can get it for $65-70ish. We got it for like $90. REALLY big facility with convention halls attached, beware of getting lost.

We checked in mid-week when one convention was leaving and another just checking in. We had the option of a queen bed room or wait 2-3 hours while the staff cleaned out a king bed room. We had a deadline so opted for the queen. Comfortable queen bed, small bathroom (longer than deep), nice flat panel TV, small fridge, large closet. Doors closed really loudly, almost like slamming, really.

Internet from the room is steep at $12.95/day. There were 3 public computer terminals in the lobby to check email from. We used the Metro, which is only a block away, so didn't have to park a car. Circulator bus also runs from Metro station.

About a block away is a strip of small restaurants. Ate dinner and breakfast at Open City. CVS drug store near by. Convenient walk to the zoo.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2009

I found a deal online and got my room here for about $65 a night -- and at that price, for Washington DC, it was decent. The hotel was not close to anything I did while in DC, however, but thankfully it was right by a Metro stop. Overall my nights here were fine and I liked the view, but there was a lot of hallway noise that I heard easily while in bed. Some friends came by and thought the room was "fancy," but really the only thing that made it interesting was that I ended up with a wheelchair-accessible bathroom, with this long hallway (see photos) that ended with an open pit-like shower. (Which, I must say, was awfully chilly to shower in.) Internet was a rip-off, which was disappointing since the site I booked with said it was free. Echoing another reviewer, the bedding was pretty flimsy.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed November 6, 2009

I have stayed at the Marriott Wardman @ 10 times over my business life over 20 years and always regarded it a a nice convention hotel that serves the Marriott brand well. However, I now was able to stay in it the last 2 times I have been in DC and have come away w/ a remarkably better perspective.

First, I had always been bothered by their $13.95 internet charge per day. They have just adopted free wi-fi in their lobby and what a treat. i had drinks, coffee from their Illy bar, breakfast at their Woodley Gourmet market inside the hotel and what a treat to work for hours while now enjoying all these great food benefits.I had always walked out and accessed the Woodley Park restaurants w/ a fairly nearby Starbucks or had a drink at the nearby Lebanese Taverna or a bar that was close. This time w/ a massive workload pressing, I stayed in at night in the comfortable lobby, watched the Yanks win the World Series, and worked on my PC for a couple of hours for free. The next morning I did the same thing at the breakfast place and it was great.

The other big change how friendly and helpful the staff was. Of course, in the past they always had the Marriott training but this time to a person they were accomodating, helpful, friendly and went out of their way to ask if I needed any assistance. Possibly, in the past they were just overwhelmed by conventioneers but it was a noticeable change and I waited until I stayed there for the second time this week and it was exactly the same.

I love the location as I work all over downtown and the immediate suburbs and the metro is litera;lly a block away. I also noticed the Circulator bus is at the metro stop as well as L2 which brings you downtown.

While Connecticut Avenue is a busy street, i never hear any traffic at the hotel with my room facing the Cathedral these last 2 times. The small restaurants in the area are great, especially Lebanese Taverna which now a bit of a chain but still good. I like to walk so I do walk into Adams Morgan and Dupont to access my favorite restaurants.

The last thing which is a pet peeve is the cleanliness and they continue to deliver on this. My rooms have had nice flat screen TV's, too many pillows, soft, soft sheets so I am going to a "5" on this one.

Way to change and Wow, great stay (the last 2 times).

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2009

Great business hotel, lots of seminars going on during the 3 days we stayed. Pretty pricey...and it killed me to pay $33 plus tax daily for parking! Lots of tips...the valet, the porter to the elevator, then another porter brings the bags to the room! Business travelers may be used to this... fee for fitness center, fee for wireless in room...
The room was smallish but very clean. Nice linens, small bathroom. No fridge though there was a cabinet for it. They brought one up when I requested it. Lengthy trek to the elevator-seriously, the hall looked as long as the one in" The Shining"( REDRUM!)
Close to Woodley metro stop and the Zoo. I would recommend this hotel to others ... but they should do the homework that I didn't to make sure it is what they signed up for.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2009

Let me start this review by saying that I paid $70 a night for this hotel through Priceline, and I think that tends to help my impression of this hotel.

The hotel is in a convenient location. It is out away from the City in an area north of Dupont Circle, but it is right next to a Metro stop. There are a number of restaurants within walking distance. If you are going to the zoo, this is an ideal location as it is within walking distance. Our room was a little on the small side, but adequate. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

I read somewhere during our stay that this is the largest hotel in DC. The place is gargantuan and easy to get lost in. The valet parking is a whopping $33 a day while the self parking on the room tab costs $32 a day and subjects you to getting lost. Spend the extra buck.

All in all, I was happy with the room and hotel for the price I paid.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank theclarkfamily3
Reviewed October 13, 2009

I stayed here for 3 nights for work related reason and I would not stay here again. The hotel is huge and geared soley to business travellers - specifically, those attending conferences at the hotel. The tower I stayed in was renovated but the room was very small and I had difficulty even moving between the bed and the desk. The bathroom was also very small and difficult, therefore, to manoever around. I stayed in a room with a connecting door - don't stay in this type of room. You can hear the conversation in the next room as if they were in the same room as you. There is absolutely no privacy and the connecting doors appear to be rather flimsy. The carpet was soiled as well. On the positive side, the gym was well equipped and the room service was very nice. Also, it very close to the Metro station so it was easy to get around the city to the various sites.

All in all, I have definitely stayed in worse hotels than this. However, the huge impersonal size of the hotel, along with their targetted market of convetioners, the too thin walls / connecting doors, and the size of the room, would not send me back to this hotel of my own volition. While the front desk staff who checked me in was very nice and helpful, when I told the (different) front desk staff when I left about the issue with the connecting door, she really didn't seem all that concerned. It was the morning I was checking out so I didn't pursue it but, seriously, she hardly looked up from the computer as I was relaying my concerns.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business