“Wow-- what a difference”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #102 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Mystic, CT
“Wow-- what a difference”
Reviewed November 6, 2009

I have stayed at the Marriott Wardman @ 10 times over my business life over 20 years and always regarded it a a nice convention hotel that serves the Marriott brand well. However, I now was able to stay in it the last 2 times I have been in DC and have come away w/ a remarkably better perspective.

First, I had always been bothered by their $13.95 internet charge per day. They have just adopted free wi-fi in their lobby and what a treat. i had drinks, coffee from their Illy bar, breakfast at their Woodley Gourmet market inside the hotel and what a treat to work for hours while now enjoying all these great food benefits.I had always walked out and accessed the Woodley Park restaurants w/ a fairly nearby Starbucks or had a drink at the nearby Lebanese Taverna or a bar that was close. This time w/ a massive workload pressing, I stayed in at night in the comfortable lobby, watched the Yanks win the World Series, and worked on my PC for a couple of hours for free. The next morning I did the same thing at the breakfast place and it was great.

The other big change how friendly and helpful the staff was. Of course, in the past they always had the Marriott training but this time to a person they were accomodating, helpful, friendly and went out of their way to ask if I needed any assistance. Possibly, in the past they were just overwhelmed by conventioneers but it was a noticeable change and I waited until I stayed there for the second time this week and it was exactly the same.

I love the location as I work all over downtown and the immediate suburbs and the metro is litera;lly a block away. I also noticed the Circulator bus is at the metro stop as well as L2 which brings you downtown.

While Connecticut Avenue is a busy street, i never hear any traffic at the hotel with my room facing the Cathedral these last 2 times. The small restaurants in the area are great, especially Lebanese Taverna which now a bit of a chain but still good. I like to walk so I do walk into Adams Morgan and Dupont to access my favorite restaurants.

The last thing which is a pet peeve is the cleanliness and they continue to deliver on this. My rooms have had nice flat screen TV's, too many pillows, soft, soft sheets so I am going to a "5" on this one.

Way to change and Wow, great stay (the last 2 times).

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Plymouth, MA
Reviewed October 20, 2009

Great business hotel, lots of seminars going on during the 3 days we stayed. Pretty pricey...and it killed me to pay $33 plus tax daily for parking! Lots of tips...the valet, the porter to the elevator, then another porter brings the bags to the room! Business travelers may be used to this... fee for fitness center, fee for wireless in room...
The room was smallish but very clean. Nice linens, small bathroom. No fridge though there was a cabinet for it. They brought one up when I requested it. Lengthy trek to the elevator-seriously, the hall looked as long as the one in" The Shining"( REDRUM!)
Close to Woodley metro stop and the Zoo. I would recommend this hotel to others ... but they should do the homework that I didn't to make sure it is what they signed up for.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
clarkwgriswold
Reviewed October 19, 2009

Let me start this review by saying that I paid $70 a night for this hotel through Priceline, and I think that tends to help my impression of this hotel.

The hotel is in a convenient location. It is out away from the City in an area north of Dupont Circle, but it is right next to a Metro stop. There are a number of restaurants within walking distance. If you are going to the zoo, this is an ideal location as it is within walking distance. Our room was a little on the small side, but adequate. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

I read somewhere during our stay that this is the largest hotel in DC. The place is gargantuan and easy to get lost in. The valet parking is a whopping $33 a day while the self parking on the room tab costs $32 a day and subjects you to getting lost. Spend the extra buck.

All in all, I was happy with the room and hotel for the price I paid.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank theclarkfamily3
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 13, 2009

I stayed here for 3 nights for work related reason and I would not stay here again. The hotel is huge and geared soley to business travellers - specifically, those attending conferences at the hotel. The tower I stayed in was renovated but the room was very small and I had difficulty even moving between the bed and the desk. The bathroom was also very small and difficult, therefore, to manoever around. I stayed in a room with a connecting door - don't stay in this type of room. You can hear the conversation in the next room as if they were in the same room as you. There is absolutely no privacy and the connecting doors appear to be rather flimsy. The carpet was soiled as well. On the positive side, the gym was well equipped and the room service was very nice. Also, it very close to the Metro station so it was easy to get around the city to the various sites.

All in all, I have definitely stayed in worse hotels than this. However, the huge impersonal size of the hotel, along with their targetted market of convetioners, the too thin walls / connecting doors, and the size of the room, would not send me back to this hotel of my own volition. While the front desk staff who checked me in was very nice and helpful, when I told the (different) front desk staff when I left about the issue with the connecting door, she really didn't seem all that concerned. It was the morning I was checking out so I didn't pursue it but, seriously, she hardly looked up from the computer as I was relaying my concerns.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Harrisburg, PA
Reviewed October 12, 2009

I booked this hotel through Priceline's name your own feature so I didn't know what I was going to get... The staff were all very friendly and extremely helpfull during my stay. My room was nice (clean, no lumpy mattresses, my view wasn't great). Their were several restuarants within walking distance-Chinese, Thai, Italian and a McDonalds. The location was perfect-about a 7 minute walk from the National Zoo and a Metro stop was right around the corner. You can only get Wifi in the public area's of the hotel; otherwise you have to play to use the Internet in your room. I would stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
buffalo
Reviewed October 10, 2009

This is a great place to stay while in DC. Conveniently located to all attractions. They even have a trolley that picks you up at the door step to take you to see everything DC has to offer. Parking is on site too for convenience.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
JoWashi
Reviewed October 10, 2009

For years I'd see the vintage brick tower of the Washington Marriott Wardman Park poking up through the trees and wonder what it would be like to stay there. I'm still wondering because, as my wife and I discovered in September '09, the tower is rarely used these days, and the rest of the Marriott Wardman Park is a sprawling, boxy, fairly non-descript facility tucked behind the tower and its park-like grounds.

Our adequately sized room was decently furnished, but had no view to speak of. And get this, mini-refrigerators are available only if you make a request beforehand. Also, the hotel has no in-room wi-fi and charges a ridiculous fee for wire internet, so we had to either cue up for one of the three computers provided in the hotel lobby or hump our laptop down to one of the nearby street cafes and tap into their network. Concerning parking: If you plan on not taking your car out of the garage during your stay (there's a Metro stop just steps from the hotel grounds), do not pay at the front desk, it will cost more. Pay the garage attendant and save a few bucks.

On the plus side, the hotel is conveniently located near The Metro, as I said, and a slew of cafes, Adams-Morgan and the zoo. It has a nice outdoor pool and they deliver USA Today to your door in the morning (too bad they don't give you The Post).

Overall, the Washington Marriott Wardman Park was a disappointment, and for the same rate we paid, we probably could have landed a room in the much nicer Kimpton Hotel Palomar at Dupont Circle.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple