“Hotel good overall, but Wardman Tower section has some issues”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #103 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed June 9, 2009

The Mariott Wardman Hotel. It's conveniently located right across the street from the Wardman Park / Zoo Metro stop (and up a hill). Our room was in the "Wardman Tower", which is kind of a huge tower connected to the main building by a long corridor. It appears to me to have once been a separate hotel. The rooms in the tower are, we were told, larger than the rooms in the main part of the hotel, and indeed, our room was notably large. We had two closets (one of which was giant), a sizeable bedroom with two full-size beds, coffeemaker, hair dryer, and a mini-fridge (no microwave oven).

The first problem I noticed with the room was the scarcity of hot water. The room does get hot water after a while, but during the afternoon or evening, you have to let the water run for quite a long time (five minutes or more?). I assume this is because the tower is relatively unoccupied.

Entry from the Wardman Park metro the tower is through the main lobby, which is a bit of a detour and quite a hike from the room. It is kind of awkward to go back from the lobby or the restaurant to the room to get something, and especially awkward when returning to the room from the pool. The trip from the pool to the room requires one to go through the lobby, dripping wet in bathing suit. There is another, "shortcut" route through a door in the long corridor, but it was locked on weekend evenings we were there.

The Wardman Tower apparently has no internet whatsoever, which is really annoying. Supposedly there is a wired connection, but we could not get it to work. There is no wireless in the tower, but there is wireless in the hotel lobby. Normally, having Internet only in the lobby is not much of an inconvenience, except because of the layout of the Mariott, there is a huge long walk from the Wardman Tower, as I explained earlier. The Wireless connection in the lobby is not free, either, which adds insult to injury at the rate of $12/day.

The pool in the hotel is large and clean, although as I say it's a bit inconvenient to get to from the Wardman Tower part of the hotel. There are lifeguards on duty, and they are present and available, and are very good at policing the unruly kids (the pool can get very crowded with families) as well as check the chemicals in the water and such. The pool is lit and open till 11pm, which is nice for evening swims.

The breakfast in the hotel is very good, we had the buffet which has lots of variety and a good selection of fruits, fresh omelettes and waffles made-to-order, pancakes, french toast, a generous amount of fresh fruit, yogurt, really a first-rate buffet.

One more positive aspect of the hotel is its proximity to various restaurants, including Indian, Italian, Thai, Chinese, a Baskin Robbins, a nice spot called Open City, and a Chipolte just a block away. Also nearby are a Bank of America, a CVS, a McDonalds, and a laundry.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank k1ckstand
There are newer reviews for Washington Marriott Wardman Park

Reviewed June 8, 2009

I was very impressed with the service I received at the Marriott Wardman Park. Before I even arrived there, I spoke on the phone twice with various front desk employees who were accommodating and helpful and not at all annoyed by my questions and requests; they even helped me figure out a better nightly rate that bettered the conference rate I'd been offered and even came with a free breakfast buffet! When we checked in and arrived at our room, it contained the rollaway bed and refrigerator I'd requested. We were put in the Tower section of the hotel, which was further away but featured larger rooms. The room was enormous! There was plenty of room for my family of four to spread out.

I indicated the purpose of my trip was business; it was, as I was attending a conference at the hotel. However, I traveled with my family so my kids could see the monuments and the zoo.

The outdoor heated pool was a favorite of my kids. They have a lifeguard, which is very nice. Since the pool gets so much use (it was very crowded when we were there), it's nice to have a staff member there to negotiate disputes and ensure everyone is behaving correctly. Sometimes the offender was my 6 year old son. Oops. :(

Cleanliness: I do believe this was the cleanest hotel I have ever been in. A few examples: one day I was walking back to my room to get something, and I noticed the staff dusting the leaves on the ornamental plants. I thought that was cool. :)
Another example: my son has serious dust mite allergies, and we travel with lots of asthma meds to help him deal when we travel. Most hotels make him asthmatic and sniffly and wake up coughing. At the Marriott Wardman Park, he didn't need meds until his last night (of 4) that we were there, and then the more likely reason for his asthma attack was the Bike the Sites ride we had done in 80+/humid weather, not dust mites.

OK, the downsides: I am an internet junkie. So many people are. So why doesn't this hotel have wireless in the rooms? We had a problem with our laptop in that it wouldn't connect via the Ethernet cable (probably a hardware problem on our end), but we bring that laptop because it is our beat-up one and we figure everywhere has wifi these days. Not this hotel! Furthermore, the internet connection was not free. So, we were paying $12.95 to bring our laptop to the lobby.

This also became an issue at the conference I attended. I am not sure if any of the presenters needed internet, but I can tell you that the only internet I could find was the wifi connection I'd paid for. These days, especially in education (my field), conference attendees need their internet!

Were my husband here, he would complain about the long walk from the Tower rooms to the lobby. I didn't hate it, but I admit it was a bit much after a long day. When you go up up up those escalators at the Metro and then trudge up the long walkway to the bus entrance of the hotel, then you have to walk all the way to the other end of the hotel? That was not fun.

I'll also say that the water in the bathroom was slow to heat up. I had the shower running a somewhat long time before it got hot. Once hot, it stayed nicely hot. We also found our toilet to be a bit sluggish. It finally gave up the ghost, so I called the front desk, and they sent someone to help. He did, and it was a little better, but I think the toilet/water pressure just isn't very strong there.

All in all, if you're looking for clean rooms and great service, this is definitely the hotel for you. Maybe you don't care so much about the internet--then it's even more so for you! It's also beautifully landscaped and close to the Zoo. We had a great stay here!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Ww1614
Reviewed May 29, 2009

Over Memorial weekend, we stayed at the Washington Marriott Wardman Park. Overall the hotel was fairly clean, recently updated and was extremely easy to get to. The location is right next to the Wooley Park metro station. The room was recently renovated, and upon first glance the hotel room looked very clean. However upon further inspection, I noticed stray hairs in the bathtub and under the sink. I was disappointed when I opened a cabinet door that looked like it would contain a refrigerator and there was just a giant cabinet. The room did have a 32 inch flat screen TV…definitely not HD. Although, the Marriott website advertises that all rooms have HBO, this channel did not come through on our TV.

My biggest surprise was how many families were staying at the hotel (maybe due to the proximity to the zoo). I would highly recommend that the Marriott put families and business travelers on different floors, as families tend to be noisier and be awake at different hours than business travelers. A screaming child in the hallway disturbed our slumber at a ridiculously early hour two days in a row.

At then end of the trip, I would say there was nothing to big to complain about and nothing so great to write home about.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank mathmagican
Reviewed May 21, 2009

I stayed here for a conference and they booked me on the old side of the hotel in one of the larger rooms. If you get one of these rooms you will be VERY happy! If you do not, then you will likely be rather unhappy. The room I had was on a high floor and was probably 1500 square feet with its own dining table for 8 in it. It was actually composed of two large rooms and a smaller adjoining breakfast room as well. The floor was wood covered by carpet, because I could hear it squeak, which I thought was interesting. The room had a lot of such character to it, which you would not realize when standing in the cavernous lobby. It also had a nice view of greenery which was, I think, Rock Creek Park. I saw some of the more modern rooms and they looked very small and generic in comparison. The old wing of the hotel was very quiet and nicely furnished, whereas the new portion of the hotel was more of a typical conference hotel. I would definitely ask to stay in the older rooms.

The hotel has a Starbucks in it, which was nice to have in the mornings, and the food served in the hotel was decent and priced appropriately. There is also a brew pub, which was worth grabbing a beer at during the evening although I cannot recall any special brews on tap. The hotel itself is located in a really nice area near a lot of places to grab lunch and do some limited shopping, too.

Location is convenient to the Metro (there is a stop right outside the hotel) and near the National Cathedral and the Zoo. Price was unbeatable when I stayed and so it represented an extremely good value. The only real unexpected expense was parking. It cost almost the same whether you valet park or park yourself (around $20-25) so I always used the valet. Sometimes they were really slow to bring my car back to me.

I had read so many spotty reviews of this hotel and thought my experience would be poor, but my room was lovely. The biggest mistake I made was not staying longer and instead moving over to the more plush Hay Adams Hotel closer to the Mall. We wanted to be "closer in" and was concerned about some of the poor reviews for this hotel, which in my experience were unfounded. I spent a good deal more money at the Hay Adams for a room that was probably 1/4 the size and it was actually easier to get to the Mall from this Marriott (using the Metro) than it was walking from the Hay Adams, which is quite a walk to the nearest Metro (or to the Mall itself). I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank dvg_loves_cali
Reviewed May 20, 2009

I got a great deal on a room for one night through Priceline.com. However, based on the reviews here, I was not looking forward to my stay. In fact, I booked my remaining 2 nights at the Marriott Washington, down at M Street and 22nd. I really like the location of the Marriott Wardman Park. It is right outside the Woodley Park metro station and there are many shops and restaurants within steps of the hotel. Adams-Morgan, with even more restaurants is about a 10-minute walk. This area does not shut-down on evenings and weekends, but remains vibrant. As it turned out, I really didn't want to leave this hotel to go to the other Marriott. The room was well-appointed and had a separate area with a full-size dining table with four chairs and a mini-fridge. The bathroom was very nice and a good size. The only thing about the hotel that I did not like is that they charge $12.95/day for internet access.
I would definitely like to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank CanTravelGuy
Reviewed May 15, 2009

While the Marriott is a convenient to stay while attending business meetings here at the hotel the rooms are not conducive to staying in contact. My cell phone rarely works correctly, the voices crackle and I lose every other call. My broadband for my laptop computer rarely stays connected for more than 5 minutes at a time. Our room makes it impossible to see "up". If you want to see the sky you have to go over to the window (small), bend turn, twist your neck and look up. It is almost like being in a basement apartment! At this price I probably would not stay here again even though it is convenient for this meetings.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 12, 2009

We stayed for 4 nights at the Marriott in May. This is a very large convention hotel with a huge lobby that divides the 2 sides of the hotel, one old and one more modern. The Wardman side is furnished with antique furniture, but is nicely decorated if you like that style. I was told that the rooms are a bit larger on this side too, although the bathrooms may be smaller. There is alot of walking to get to your room. This is a large, spread out property. I enjoyed the room, but nothing else. The service was lacking. The first night we were there housekeeping never came at all. We asked for a rollaway bed, and it took numerous calls to get it done.We ate at one of the restaurants, and the food and service were poor. Our room keys repeatedly stopped working. I suggest you keep the hotel phone number in your cell phone, so you can call them to bring you new keys.
If you need to stay in a hotel right on the red line for convenience, this is a decent choice, if you get a good rate. Otherwise there are better choices out there with more personalized service.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple