The Mariott Wardman Hotel. It's conveniently located right across the street from the Wardman Park / Zoo Metro stop (and up a hill). Our room was in the "Wardman Tower", which is kind of a huge tower connected to the main building by a long corridor. It appears to me to have once been a separate hotel. The rooms in the tower are, we were told, larger than the rooms in the main part of the hotel, and indeed, our room was notably large. We had two closets (one of which was giant), a sizeable bedroom with two full-size beds, coffeemaker, hair dryer, and a mini-fridge (no microwave oven).
The first problem I noticed with the room was the scarcity of hot water. The room does get hot water after a while, but during the afternoon or evening, you have to let the water run for quite a long time (five minutes or more?). I assume this is because the tower is relatively unoccupied.
Entry from the Wardman Park metro the tower is through the main lobby, which is a bit of a detour and quite a hike from the room. It is kind of awkward to go back from the lobby or the restaurant to the room to get something, and especially awkward when returning to the room from the pool. The trip from the pool to the room requires one to go through the lobby, dripping wet in bathing suit. There is another, "shortcut" route through a door in the long corridor, but it was locked on weekend evenings we were there.
The Wardman Tower apparently has no internet whatsoever, which is really annoying. Supposedly there is a wired connection, but we could not get it to work. There is no wireless in the tower, but there is wireless in the hotel lobby. Normally, having Internet only in the lobby is not much of an inconvenience, except because of the layout of the Mariott, there is a huge long walk from the Wardman Tower, as I explained earlier. The Wireless connection in the lobby is not free, either, which adds insult to injury at the rate of $12/day.
The pool in the hotel is large and clean, although as I say it's a bit inconvenient to get to from the Wardman Tower part of the hotel. There are lifeguards on duty, and they are present and available, and are very good at policing the unruly kids (the pool can get very crowded with families) as well as check the chemicals in the water and such. The pool is lit and open till 11pm, which is nice for evening swims.
The breakfast in the hotel is very good, we had the buffet which has lots of variety and a good selection of fruits, fresh omelettes and waffles made-to-order, pancakes, french toast, a generous amount of fresh fruit, yogurt, really a first-rate buffet.
One more positive aspect of the hotel is its proximity to various restaurants, including Indian, Italian, Thai, Chinese, a Baskin Robbins, a nice spot called Open City, and a Chipolte just a block away. Also nearby are a Bank of America, a CVS, a McDonalds, and a laundry.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- When you arrive at the Washington Marriott Wardman Park, you'll find a charming neighborhood in the heart of Washington, DC filled with amazing restaurants and quaint shops. Just a few steps away, you'll discover the funky stores and ethnic cuisine of Adams Morgan or the exciting night life of Dupont Circle. Head north to hear the sounds of animals coming from the National Zoo. Or venture into the hotel's natural surroundings to enjoy a quiet hike or invigorating run through Rock Creek Park. With a Metro stop just outside the doors and area airports close by, it's a premier city destination just two Metro stops from everything DC has to offer. We believe that brilliant meetings begin with brilliant space and offer an astounding 195,000 square feet of versatile space that can be customized for groups of all sizes. It's an unmatched place to meet where accommodating venues and equally helpful planners can bring any groups unique ideas to life. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Marriott, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelsforEveryone and HotelQuickly so you can book your Washington Marriott Wardman Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel Washington Dc
- Marriott Wardman Park Hotel
- Marriott Washington Dc
- Washington Dc Marriott