“Washington Marriott Wardman Park”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #102 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Michigan
“Washington Marriott Wardman Park”
Reviewed March 1, 2009

The Marriott at Wardman Park is easily accessible via the red line Metro. We made the mistake of walking from the metro stop around the hotel to the front to enter - not realizing that we should have used the "service" or "bus" entrance to quickly enter the hotel. When you arrive at the top of the Metro escalators, turn right, cross the street and walk up the gradual hill of the service/bus driveway to enter the hotel.

We were upgraded to the highest floor, but our room did not appear to be an upgrade. We had a view of another wing of the hotel from our window. Compared to other Marriott hotels throughout the US, the room was below average. The bathroom was extremely small, the towels were cheap and thin, the shower was dark and there was very little water pressure. The bed was supposedly a king, but was the smallest king bed I have ever seen.There was no comforter, duvet, or blanket on the bed - just two layers of sheets. There were no extra blankets or pillows in the room. There was spot where it looked like their should be a mini-fridge, but it was simply big gaping hole.

We did not have maid service. On the second day, we requested two new sets of towels and were told they would be right up - this was at 4pm. At 7pm, we still had no towels. We called again and were told that someone would be right up. At 11pm, we still did not have towels and called yet again and were told that someone would be right up. Finally at midnight, housekeeping knocked on our door. As I approached the door, I heard the housekeeper swear and then knocked again.

Our "do not disturb" sign was taken on the second night as well.

We stayed on Thursday, Friday and Saturday night, so the concierge lounge was only open for a few hours Friday morning and then closed the rest of the time. Because of our platinum status, we were given coupons for breakfast at the main restaurant. We had the breakfast buffet each morning. There was a chef making omelets and waffles, as well as a selection of fruits, meats, hot items, bread, and cereal. I don't think that it would be worth the $30 they charge of the buffet, but for free, I can't complain.

The hotel seemed quite popular with at least two conferences/conventions going on while we stayed there.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank lithlith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed February 26, 2009

I recently stayed at the Marriott Wardman for a conference (as it is mostly a convention hotel) and must ay I was not disappointed. However, for such an extravagent establishment, I found it odd that it was missing some of the simple basics.

I believe my room may have been upgraded, or was just an accessible room. Originally I was supposed to only stay for 2 days then move in with a colleague for a meeting that occurred after the original conference, due to availability, but after talking to the kind people at check in, they assured me everything had been taken care of and I was escorted to a large room in the Park Tower.

I must give this hotel kudos, for it's ACTUAL accessibility. I have been in "accessible rooms" before that simply had a bar in the bathroom, but the size was hardly substantial enough for a wheelchair! This room had a large tiled foyer with a kitchenette, that was perfect to park my motorized scooter I use when I travel! the bathroom was also very accessible. It was very large, and had a hand held shower head that could be lowered.

However- although the bathroom was huge, the one thing it lacked was HOOKS. there was absolutely NOWHERE to even hang a towel. I happen to have hanging toiletry bags, and I couldn't put them anywhere. I ended up setting them on a counter, and things kept falling out and on to the floor. Very annoying.

Also, the fact that internet was $13 a day and was NOT wireless was very frustrating. Clearly when you travel on business you are going to need to access your email and the internet, and it was irritating to say the least to be tied to the desk to access the internet. Very circa 1999.
Either have it wired, and have it FREE, or have wifi and charge a little less...but still there is no need to pay such a rate daily to sit at a desk.
Room service was also out of this world expensive. We ended up paying $80 for breakfast for 2, and all we got was eggs benedict and coffee. A carafe of coffee for 2 was $17, and of course the delivery fee is ridiculous. The quality of the food was decent, but nowhere near $80 worth of amazing! The 2nd day we ordered breakfast, we noted there were 2 diners, and we did not receive a table. One of us had to dine at the desk, while the other just sat in a chair with their tray on the ottoman....not an ideal situation, especially for the cost.
On the up side though- the beds were very comfortable and our room was always cleaned sufficiently and in good time

Although the on site coffee was Starbucks brand, there was not a Starbucks location in the hotel, which I found to be disappointing, especially for the size of the establishment.

The size was definitely exquisite, and although it took me about our entire stay to start learning where things were (the entire hotel is like a maze, with 2 different towers) the hotel staff is very accommodating and helpful. there are staff members at every high traffic area to answer questions of where to go, so I didn't waste too much time getting lost after the first day.

The conference facilities were nice, but after the third luncheon I began to get sick of the typical salad, chicken and rolls. Luckily, both restaurants were wonderful with great food and service! For a nice change on the last couple of days. For our last dinner, the concierge also referred us to a delicious japanese restaurant that was within walking distance. The hotel was very close to lots of great places to eat and shop!

Overall not a bad place, in a great location, but I am not sure that I would stay here if I had my choice of hotels in the DC area...it misses the mark on simple things, and the $13 a day internet is definitely not conducive to teleworking.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Murrysville, PA USA
Reviewed February 17, 2009

If location is everything, then this is a great hotel. It is in DC and (literally) right next to a metro station. You can get just about anywhere in Washington in minutes from here.

I stayed in the newer section and the rooms are nice enough. The staff is pleasant. The bathroom in my room was cleaned extremely well every day. The beds are comfortable. So what is the "but"?

The problem is the value. I wouldn't complain about paying more than $200/night per room if there weren't so many little things and added costs that made the experience not so grand. For example:
- No complimentary coffee in the lobby
- No guest stairways (My room was on the 2nd floor and I had to take the elevator every time)
- A rodent glue trap (empty, fortunately) under the table in my room
- Paper thin walls that permitted me to hear the couple in the next room fight and then make up (and make up multiple times)
- An HDTV that only receives analog signals and displays them stretched
- $13/day Internet access (talk about a business necessity!)
- $3.30 for a 12-ounce coffee
- $3.00 for a 20 oz. bottle of soda
- $33.00/day for parking
- A "business center" that charges $0.40/minute to edit and print a document
- etc.

If only they took care of all the little things, this would be a great hotel. One can only hope that they finally wise up and recognize that you do not treat a paying customer well by making him pay and pay again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
New York
Reviewed January 29, 2009

On the surface the Marriott Wardman Park is quite nice-- beautiful landscaping, clean and updated interior, modern and tastefully appointed rooms. But a few smaller issues unfortunately brought my stay down.

First the good: as I said, the interior was tastefully decorated and updated (I stayed in the Center Tower) and there were a number of amenities on site-- noteably two restaurants, a grab-and-go sandwich, salad, and soup stop, a convenience store, coffee bar, and business center. The location is great for access to public transit and a nice selection of restaurants. If you're site-seeing, though, note that this hotel is quite a bit away from the Mall, White House, and other well-known historic spots. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Now for the bad: Harry's Pub, one of the on-site restaurants, was terribly overpriced and the food was less than mediocre. Room service was likewise very overpriced (a quesadilla and garden salad for $30+ after service and delivery charges) and not very good at all. The bedding was certainly not "luxurious" as the hotel web site describes it-- I had only a flannel blanket between two sheets and flattened feather pillows that had seen better days. What really brought my stay down, though, was housekeeping. The cleaning was decent, but they sprayed a heavy perfume-scented room or carpet freshener every day that gave me headaches and allergy issues. I phoned housekeeping to request they not use any scented sprays or cleaners and left a note for them each day to no avail. Really, without this issue my stay most likely would have been ten times better.

Special note to Starbuck's addicts: the on-site Starbuck's went out of business, though it still appears on all hotel maps and directories as of January 8, 2009. Instead, there is "Cafe Illy" which is located at the lobby bar during daytimes hours and serves a nice variety of coffee drinks.

• Liked — Number of on-site amenities, decor
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable bed/bedding, Housekeeping's idea of "freshness"
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank getawaygirl5
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 17, 2009

I last stayed at the Marriott Wardman Park in January 2007. I was there again in January 2009 for three nights while at a conference, and I am submitting an updated review to Trip Advisor since this already solid hotel has improved since my 2007 stay.

My room in the Plaza Tower showed the effects of major recent renovations and refurnishings. The bathroom was impressive and featured all-new fixtures. The room furniture was comfortable and functional, and included a new plasma TV. The room itself was reasonably spacious despite having two beds. There was no noise intrusion from adjacent rooms or the hallway.

Fromt desk and concierge service was prompt and friendly. The hotel, huge at it is, seems to have no shortage of staff. Housekeeping was fast, early and reliable. And if you like signs of exuberance, there is a massive and impressive obelisk echoing the Washington Monument in the middle of the cavernous check-in area.

The disappointments? Almost $13 per day extra charge for the wireless internet (which functioned reliably), and the Starbucks inside the hotel has disappeared! There are plenty of places inside this mammoth hotel offering coffee, of course, but if you insist on an authentic Starbucks experience, it's a pleasant 7 minute walk down the road along Connecticutt Avenue.

• Liked — Location, Service
  • Disliked — High priced in-room Internet service
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Infiniti
Brisbane
Reviewed January 10, 2009

My friend and I checked into the hotel on 23rd October 2008 and after presenting our travel voucher with the details of our booking (supplied by our travel agent) only to be told that the hotel could not find out booking. The lady at reception was rude and abrupt and after standing at desk for approx. 30 mins she told us to take a seat. We waited for a further 25 mins before the staff member and the shift manager came over to inform us that they could still not locate a booking. The manager stated that there was a conference on and that no non-conference bookings could be made. After another 20 min wait, he came over and told us that he would give us a room until it was worked out what was happening with ours, and if our information could not be located we would be asked to pay again.

At this point we were just happy to have a room allocated to us so that we could leave our luggage and go exploring. The room allocated ot us was on the ground floor, opposite a service door which was opened and slammed frequently by the housekeeping staff, not to mention torn bed linens.

After contacting our travel agent back in Australia, we were provided a contact number to clear this up with the accommodation wholesaler. After a quick call to the wholesaler, during which the consultant told me he had the back office manager of the hotel on the phone - the situation was apparently resolved and nothing further to worry about.

Apart from the constant slamming of the door all through the day and night, preventing us from having a restful night.

Upon waking up on checkout day, I found a receipt under the door showing me that the hotel had charged my credit card the full price of our room - even though the accommodation had been paid for prior to us leaving Australia and I had been told the situation was resolved. I spent another hour at the reception desk arguing with the desk there, who were not helpful in any way. Finally, after another 30 mins they concluded that the room had already been paid for and agreed to refund my credit card with the cost of the last two nights. When I asked for a receipt of this refund, I recieved a blank look before the staff member went to a back room and brought back a senior staff member. The senior staff member seemed to understand what I was requesting and provided me with the receipt.

There was no apology from any staff member over the situation and no acceptance of responsibility from the hotel.

I completed a customer feedback form and handed this to the senior staff member. I provided all my contact information and to this day haven't recieved a respones of any kind.

Disappointed would be an understatement. Absolutely disgraceful.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The list is far too long
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
6 Thank AussieCarla

Travelers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

England
Reviewed January 1, 2009

I've stayed at Marriott properties before and have been quite pleased, but was thoroughly disappointed with Wardman Park. The decor is dated, with gawdy carpeting throughout the main lobby and hallways of this huge hotel. In contrast, the rooms are bland and characterless - even more so than you would expect for a chain hotel. I ended up being moved across three rooms upon my arrival (because of issues with ground-floor noise in one instance and a broken heating system in the other), and the two rooms I saw in the Park and Central towers were dark and pretty dismal. The whole place has a stale and depressing air to it. Cleanliness was also not up to high standards. Call me picky, but I don't like to see physical traces of previous guests in hotel rooms. I also have to knock the customer service at this hotel. Inquiring by phone about a stuck window, I was passed back and forth between the front desk and security, then told that no windows in the entire hotel could open. When I assured the staff member that I had just been in a hotel room in which the windows opened fully (in the aforementioned room with a heating system fixed to full blast), they disputed this statement before eventually sending over a repair person. Staying at a hotel really shouldn't be so difficult.

However, one positive aspect of this hotel is the location, which, although quite out of the way, was relatively convenient for getting out (as you will want to do if staying at this property). There are some nice restaurants on the main street near the hotel, a metro stop is on the hotel's doorstep (and the metro system in DC is very good), and Georgetown or the centre of Washington by cab is a short $10 cab ride away. Despite this convenience, I would choose to stay elsewhere the next time. Surely there are better hotels in Washington DC for business travellers.

• Liked — Easy access to other areas by metro or taxi
  • Disliked — Dated and dreary atmosphere, wired internet access at uncomfortable desks in rooms
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business