WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #98 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Somerset, New Jersey
“Location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

This hotel is beautiful. The outside is amazing, I sat in the garden more than I did inside. The parking deck is clean and well lit so it appears safe. The lobby is very nice and adds a wow factor. The room was a basic full service room... a room with a bed and bathroom. For the most part it was nice and pretty clean.
The Location is amazing!! This hotel is only a few minute walk from the zoo and a load of restaurants. It's also super helpful to have the metro station literally outside the front door.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Westport, CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

When I arrived here, I was told that this was the biggest hotel in Washington DC. It certainly feels big, but bigger isn't necessarily better. And, in this case, that is pretty much what it all amounts to. Another reviewer called this a "convention" hotel. That is very accurate. It's huge with a great many meeting rooms of all sizes and multiple towers to accommodate a large number of guests. The week I was there it was unseasonably mild for DC in the summer, mid 70's at best. The hotel air conditioning didn't get the memo. It was FREEZING inside the meeting rooms and in the mini lobby outside of the elevators on the 4th floor where my room was located, it had to have been under 60 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm talking down jacket cold! My room was neat, smallish, with a view of a rooftop. The bathroom was tiny. The bed was the best thing about the hotel. Pillows were top notch and the mattress just perfect. I would have slept well if not for the teenagers in the hall until all hours making noise. There were teenagers all over the hotel almost every night I was there (for a week). Due to the size of the hotel, teen groups tend to favor staying here apparently. Not a big attraction if you are seeking quiet at night.

The staff was courteous but didn't go out of their way to be either friendly or helpful. They lacked that signature Marriott "eagerness" to please. No one seemed to care if I was having a good stay or not. The food was absolutely horrible. Several restaurants on premises, all serving essentially the same mediocre food. Our internally catered lunches and dinners were near inedible. If I was a college freshman, the food would have been OK, I guess, but I'm a businessman and after a long day of lectures and work I want something a little more enjoyable than food court quality offerings. Even breakfast was decidedly unremarkable. What happened to the fresh baked muffins that Marriott used to be known for?

Overall the physical plant had a tired feeling to it as well. The front entrance is adjacent to what is essentially a construction zone. Loud, banging and dirty with trucks and lots of construction and equipment. No attempt was made to hide this or otherwise make it look nice during this construction, which appears to be a singificantly long term project. It's just an additional demerit on an already mediocre report card for this hotel. With so many spectacular hotels in DC, it's amazing to me that anyone comes here. While they do have the space to accommodate large groups, clearly they are not making much of an effort to offer anything more than that space and an over abundance of unwanted air conditioning.

2 Thank justwarren
Jim R, Resident Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear justwarren,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your most recent stay at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. Our goal at Wardman Park is to exceed all of our customer's expectations and I am sorry that your stay was less than perfect and the property and service fell short of your expectations. I have shared your review with the appropriate departments and will be sure to personally address your concerns with the leadership in those areas. I would certainly like to discuss your concern directly. If possible and at your convenience please contact me at 202.328.2000.

Regards,
Jim Redington
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

I recently stayed here with my husband for his fraternity's centennial celebration. The hotel was large and very accommodating. The rooms are nice and each room comes has a refrigerator, which was very good.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Milano, Italia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

The Marriott Wardman is a very dependable hotel in D.C.. I have stayed multiple times and have never had to complain about anything. Great facilities for conventions, but not only. Comprehensive services by professional staff.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

Loved this hotel, and if only there were a pool, it would be perfect! Super nice! Fast food or fine cuisine all within walking distance. National zoo is only a 10 minute walk. The rooms are very comfortable and stylish. The variety of restaurants in the hotel make it so that you don't even have to leave if you don't want to. Front desk was eager to accommodate any request. I will definitely stay here again if I ever have the chance!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Ameescar
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

I was recently at the Marriott Wardman Park for a conference and definitely had some very positive experiences and some negative. In looking at the areas of concern first: I will start with the bathroom. I stayed in a king bed room and although the bathroom design best utilized the space with a space saver sink and wall shelving the shower needs work. I am only 5'3" tall and the shower head hit me at the top of the neck. I cannot imagine anyone over 5'6" being able to adequately shower in there. There was also some indication of some possible water damage on the ceiling of the shower. The only towel rack was in the shower! I was staying by myself but wondered how if my husband had traveled with me we would have dried two bath towels without hanging them over the shower curtain rod. My other concern were the conference rooms themselves. The rooms were well tended and very clean. However, they were freezing! Luckily I had read other reviews and brought sweaters (in July) for all of my outfits. The Lincoln rooms which are on the lowest level were especially cold.
On the positives, the hotel common areas were very neat, clean and well staffed. The hotel is difficult to navigate and there were staff at every juncture to assist you in finding where you wanted to go. I was especially impressed with one particular female staff member who was especially chipper and welcomed each of us every morning with greetings and directions. The food was quite good and the food at the pub was beautifully presented. Our conference also had the continental breakfasts catered by the hotel in the mornings which were very well done. The food was kept warm when appropriate with adequate amount for all 2000 attendees. The crustless quiches were a welcome surprise for what was billed as a continental breakfast and the fruit was all very fresh. The hotel fitness area was well maintained and had nice equipment. I was able to get my workout in for 3 consecutive days and had to wait for cardio equipment only once. I have traveled to several other conferences over the years and the audio/visual equipment usually has difficulties. I was impressed with the amount of rooms we utilized and audio/visual resources that I never saw difficulty in any presentation.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel for a future conference. It was large enough for a large group and in a nice area of town with local restaurants easily accessible and close to the metro. I would recommend that Marriott look into the shower heads in the bathrooms and the temperatures in the conference rooms though.

Room Tip: The hotel is currently undergoing construction but they do not seem to work late or too very early i...
Green Features: I left the do not disturb sign on my door so that they would not waste water/chemicals washing so many towels and linens. In response a bag of fresh towels was left on my door. I then requested that they not waste fresh towels daily on my room and my request was respected.
2 Thank Sarah H
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

We've had a busy summer full of travels. This time, three hotels in one week. The Wardman was our first stop. Located in the Woodley Park area, it is just a few blocks from the National Zoo. It's more in a residential area. The hotel grounds were beautiful and well maintained with lots of flowers and several seating areas under the trees to enjoy a cool breeze outdoors. This is a conference center hotel so it is huge and the lobby/common areas can be a bit overwhelming with crowds. Great time as a couple enjoying the hotel and surrounding - but not sure this hotel would be my first choice when traveling with kids given the size of the hotel, especially if big convention/conference is occurring. Metro stop is very close, making it convenient to reach other parts of the city. Although there is construction near the back of the hotel, it was not an inconvenience. It was best to walk out of the back area of the hotel to assess Metro as the stop was just at the base of the hotel drive.
The hotel is within walking distance of CVS, McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts and several quaint restaurants (Sushi bar, Lebanese, Mexican) that had outdoor patios.

Rooms were standard Marriott quality. We were in the Center tower, King room and on the concierge floor. Beds were comfortable. Walls were a bit thin as others have commented. I appreciated having the small refrigerator/cooler in room to keep water and drinks cool. The view from the room wasn't great and we were angled in such a way that we could see into the room of others(and no doubt they could see into our room). We stayed away from the window most of the time and kept the thinner curtain drawn more than usual. Rooms were updated and nicely furnished. Staff members were pleasant. The outdoor attendants/valet/bellman kept the crowd moving efficiently outside.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple