“Average Hotel in a Nice Neighborhood”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #105 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed April 23, 2014

This hotel is in a very nice and less-busy area of the city. I didn't realize how huge this hotel is until I walked in. Similar to the other reviews, this is a great place for a conference, but since I was by myself it was too big for my liking. It didn't help that my room was at the very end of a very long hallway.

The staff was extremely pleasant and check in was quick and easy. The lobby is huge, so there are a lot of places to sit, watch TV, and even drink.

My room was down a long hallway, but it was very quiet. It was decently-sized and the beds were comfortable. I didn't have any complaints about the room. The Wi-Fi wasn't complimentary, and I was having issues logging into the network. I use Wi-Fi all the time but I couldn't figure this one out. Luckily, there's button on the phone that connects you to a central place where they can work out the issues. After about ten minutes, I had internet.

The gym was big, but it was packed when I was there in the morning. There were plenty of towels, and even fruit at the front desk. It was a nice touch.

The Woodley Park Metro stop is just outside the hotel door, so it's very convenient.

1  Thank BoysInNY
Jim R, Resident Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Dear BoysinNY,
Thank you for taking time to share your recent experience regarding your stay at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I am sorry to read that we were unable to personalize your stay and not make you feel more comfortable given the size of the property.
Best regards,
Jim Redington

Write a ReviewReviews (2,633)

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Nice large hotel in cute neighborhood close to National Zoo. Clean rooms and hallways. Across the street from Metro and fun places to eat. Close to National cathedral and quick metro ride to DuPont Circle. Good value, great place to see Washington DC from.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The location was convenient to local restaurants within walking distance and the Metro is right down the driveway which was handy. My room had a view towards the National Cathedral, I could see the top of it above the tree line from my window. I attended a conference here and it was a nice property.

If I were to stay there again, I would ask for room away from the ice machine as it was directly across the hall from my room and was noisy at times. I also was put in a connecting room and could hear conversations in the next room, note to self...remember to ask for a quiet non-connecting room at any hotels in future. :)

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Wardman Park good location, close to Metro and some shops. Great meal for our business award ceremony. Overall ok

Harry's Pub loud banging of dishes throughout our entire meal. Good wait staff. $35.00 for 2 hamburgers and a pop.

Warning do not take the On Board tour trip at night. The guide made things up as we went. Pricey and if the weather is rainy you can not see much of anything since the windows fog up and they do not know how to defrost them. Total disappointment!

Room Tip: No help with this one
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Jim R, Resident Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear Margc_11,
Thank you for taking time to share your review regarding your stay at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I am sorry that your stay in Washington, DC was just average. However, I do hope that you enjoyed your overall experience in Washington,DC. While the tour group is not affiliated with Marriott or the hotel itself, I will certainly share your remarks with them.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

Wardman Park is a beautiful part of DC. This hotel's location is wonderful. The hotel needs a makeover

PROS:
Fabulous location, close to the Metro, down the street from the Zoo, etc.
Lovely staff; very accommodating
Excellent Executive Lounge on top floor - great breakfast (one of the best I've seen)
Good food on in on site restaurants
On site convenience store
Nice set of outlets/charging options on desk
In room fridge
Decent sized rooms
Really great bathroom amenity package including mouthwash, etc.
Good water pressure for showers
Bathroom lighting is fairly good
HVAC system runs quietly and efficiently
Towels and bed linens are of good quality
Beds are comfortable
Good channel selection on HD television in room
Windows actually open in the hotel room - a nice plus on Spring days!
Not far from National Airport

CONS:
Super pricey internet - why this isn't free, I'll never know.
Not a good selection of outlets at bedside - not convenient if you use your phone for your alarm
Rooms are rather worn as are corridors-if these have been renovated, they have been heavily used and don't appear very fresh
Room service is typical DC; pricey with add on fees, etc. You'll pay about $30 for an average room service meal

I stayed in the 'newer' section of the hotel. The older section looks very nice and I hear it's been renovated.

The price for the room was extremely reasonable for DC, $179 a night. I'd stay again. If I had to describe it in one word, I would say "fine".

Reviewed April 18, 2014

We checked in to only be told they don't have our requested room preference. Four people and one bed so the guy at the desk said that they would send up a roll away. We go and have an average meal at the restaurant on site and over pay... 85 dollars for two kids meals, two entrees, and dessert to share! Wth!!! We make our way to the room and still no bed! Called several times... Kids sleeping on the bed and we are sitting on chairs waiting for a bed. After four hours we are still waiting and with plenty of time, I decided to write a review. It seemed like a great deal, but it wasn't!!! Go someplace else!!! Still waiting....

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Shadowlady,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience regarding your stay at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I am sorry that you waited for an extended period of time for a rollway bed to be brought to your guest room. Certainly there is not excuse for that type of poor service. At your convenience, please call me at 202.328.2000 to discuss resolution to your concerns.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

We arrived early for our 4-night stay and so there were no rooms available to check-in yet. We were able to check-in an hour later which was great, but then we were next to a room with all these kids on their field-trip, so our whole stay was ruined by these teenagers constantly running up and down the long corridors and knocking on each others' doors. Traveling with an 18-mos. old, she was kept up in the night until the noise level subsided. We complained to the front desk 3-times during our first night but all they could do was speak to the chaperone which did not help our situation as the noise level continued on to the next day and following. They said that they were fully booked and therefore could not move us to another room either. I just felt like they could have done something for us during our stay for putting up with the noise.

The housekeeping service was mediocre. We find that they don't replenish the soap everyday and on our last day, the amenities were messily placed on the bathroom counter.

To make the end of our stay even worse, we had called the front desk the night before to arrange for taxi service to the airport, notifying them that we have a car-seat for our child. The taxi never came so the bellman hailed one that was on standby at the hotel. We tried to strap in our car-seat securely in the backseat but their seatbelt does not relapse and was loose. My husband told them that we need a different car as that was not deemed safe for our child. The taxi driver got upset and was shouting profanity as my husband; so unprofessional. When we tried the following taxi cab, the drivers were speaking to each other in Indian, and although this car's seatbelt would have secured our child's car-seat, the driver denied us service. We had to go with a third car, who was not Indian, and was willing to take us and which the seat belt worked as well. The bellman did nothing throughout aside from watching the fiasco go down. Needless to say, it was very upsetting as this whole process took over half an hour. Good thing we decided to start the day early, otherwise, the taxi drivers could have risked us our plane.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear Catherine F.,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay at the Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. If possible, I would like to discuss your concerns in further detail and hopefully provide resolution and confidence that they have been fully addressed. Please call me at your convenience at 202.328.2000.