“Stray hairs in bathtub, noisy, rooms attached to underground parking garage”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #103 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Stray hairs in bathtub, noisy, rooms attached to underground parking garage”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

I stayed here for one night and that was more than enough. The bathtub had multiple stray hairs all over it, including a particularly nasty-looking one on the soap dish. The shower curtain was torn in several places, and the hair dryer looked like it hadn't been cleaned *ever*. There was a problem with the door to the room shutting all the way, and in the morning there was a lot of noise in the alley over which my room's windows faced. The walls were also very thin so I could hear conversations in the hall.

On the positive side (for me, because I had a lot of luggage), I was able to park in the parking garage near my hotel room so I was close to my car. The garage was literally on the other side of the hall outside my room. Had there been a door to the garage directly in front of my room, I would have been 10 feet from my car. The reason that this was possible was because I was given a room in the hotel's "Park Tower", and those rooms are underground (the hotel was built on a hill so one side is underground and the other side overlooks an alley).

However, if you are not driving and you don't need to park (or if you don't care about being near your car), I would absolutely avoid the "Park Tower" wing of the hotel. I can't help but think the term "Park Tower" itself is a cruel joke on the hotel's guests, who think they will be sleeping in a room on a high floor overlooking a tranquil garden, when in actuality they will be sleeping in an underground room attached to a parking garage on one side and overlooking a noisy alley on the other.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Jim R, Resident Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Sarah7038,
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your most recent stay at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. Our goal at Wardman Park is to exceed all of our customer's expectations and I am sorry that your stay was less than perfect. Given the number of your concerns I would like to discuss these matters directly. If you are willing to do so and have the time, your additional feedback will be extremely valuable in providing our future guests a problem free stay. I can be reached at 202.328.2000.

Best regards,
Jim Redington

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Santa Clarita
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

I am a frequent visitor to the Wardman Park Marriott for business and up until this most recent stay have never experienced a problem at all. In fact, the Wardman Park Marriott has been one of my preferred options in DC. I stayed as recently as July of 2012 so the dramatic deterioration of the property caught me highly off-guard.

My experience prior to check in was excellent as I was attending a conference and knew the hotel would be at capacity so I called to see what type of room might be available based on my elite status. I was upgraded to an executive suite and very appreciate for that. I realize that upgrades are never guaranteed and I may sound a bit ungrateful based on the following complaints, but I feel that I spend enough nights in a Marriott each year to be able to make a fair judgment.

The suite I was given was on the 2nd floor so that was the first "uh-oh" in my book. I have a stated preference for high floors, but give the upgrade I was okay with it. The room itself was large and impressive, however, upon closer look the furnishings were worn and a complete mish-mash of items with no consistency. It looked like the most worn items were replaced with less worn items from different rooms. Still, that's not a complete deal breaker. The real problem was the suite being adjacent to the elevators and with this being the largest hotel in DC the never-ending noise of elevators going up and down in their shafts made sleep problematic. I was informed that there was no availability to change rooms that evening, but to check back the following morning. So I did check back and was given the option to take a junior suite away from the elevators. I was happy to downgrade if it meant a quieter room (and I was thinking a higher floor). So I moved rooms and ended up staying on the second floor. There was no longer elevator noise, but the room as in awful condition. Paint was peeling off of the walls, furniture was chipped and cracked, shiny surfaces had spots all over them, and even the box containing coffee/tea items had its lid broken off. Frankly, I was surprised this is a room Marriott would put a platinum guest in. To top it off, the room next door was filled with obnoxious guests speaking so loudly that I could hear every word of their conversation. And this room was as close as possible to a major construction site on the hotel property. So to put a noise sensitive guest in a room adjacent to a construction site after moving from a room with elevator noise struck me as odd.

I went back to the front desk and spoke with the front desk manager. He apologized for the entire experience, but indicated room-wise that I was stuck there unless I wanted to downgrade yet again to a standard room. To his credit, he had security take care of the noisy guests next door and did offer me some rewards points for my trouble.

At the end of the day, I stay at many large conference hotels and have not seen one in as poor condition as the Wardman Park. Yes, it takes more work and costs more money to keep such a busy hotel in top physical shape, but it's also money well spent as I can't imagine returning until the hotel goes through a major room renovation.

I realize I've spent a long time on this review, but wanted to share my experience. As you can see from many of my prior reviews, I typically am not so critical, but this was a very disappointing stay at a hotel that had previously been high on my list.

2 Thank FightOn

Travelers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

South Bend, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

I recently stayed here 5 nights for a conference. After the first night, I came back to my room midday to find my door not fully closed. You might not notice if just walking by, but a gentle push sent the door swinging wide open. I called the desk to report the problem and they assured me it would be investigated and remedied. However, the same thing happened the very next day. I never had any problem getting the door to shut all the way and latch securely. But, as I could not trust the hotel staff to do this, I had to put the "privacy please" door hanger up every day. Thankfully nothing was stolen, but I wouldn't trust the hotel staff here.

One additional suggestion: If you do take a chance and stay here, bring your own toilet paper. Despite charging nearly $300/night this Marriott only provides scratchy 1-ply.

bolton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

This Marriot hotel has1,300 rooms,4 restaurants, coffee shop that doubles up as breakfast room and as many bars, it is huge, we stayed for 3 nights and got lost twice.
it is quite far out, but right next to the metro, in fact there is a metro lift in the grounds of the hotel, and it is a 10 minute ride to metro central.
if you go do the "Big Red Bus tour" well worth it, and dont forget your camera.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

So been coming to this hotel for the past 6 years. Though the Starbucks in the lobby has long gone, there is one about .75 miles away - which helps.

Overall, the service has improved significantly and have to say that it is now on par (and better than some in the DC area) with its peers. Check in was a breeze and the desk folks were very helpful. Room service is efficient though it seems inconsistent on when they show up - I was trying to get some work done and calls in between conference sessions.

The club room is decent and the snacks are typical - service is pretty good about refreshing the food regularly and cleaning up.

Given its size, it seems to cater to lots of business conferences (sometimes 2-3 simultaneously) and in fall, it is a good place to stay if you are visiting DC to see the sights, etc. Helps that is down the road from the zoo and there is a pretty good selection of local, decent and well priced eats on its doorstep.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room away from the elevators - don't mind walking another minute or so and i...
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed four days for the ABA Conference. Great room with all the amenities. Clean and very polite staff always said hi to me no matter the hour of the day. Variety of food choices and 5 minute walk from stores,restaurants,the metro and old town trolley stop. A ten minute walk to the Zoo. The hotel connects with the Omni Shoreham across the street. Great choice to stay if you want to visit DC. Was my fourth time at the hotel. Excellent gym facilities and Business Center.

• Stayed November 2013
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a conference. Good location in DC, nice gym, but really dated rooms. I checked in at 8:30 pm, and the hallway had many trays with dirty dishes and clearly old food. Next to the door of my room were 3 dirty coffee cups. Stain on the rug of my room. Most disappointing? An extra charge of $165.00 on my bill! For "storing" a few boxes of pamphlets that had been delivered to the Marriott for the conference - at no cost to the hotel, of course. No notice that this fee would be tacked onto my bill, I had tipped the bellman generously for getting these boxes from a storage room to my conference room on a cart (he was late, of course)...When I saw this outrageous charge, the woman at the front desk said it must have been an error and promised it would be removed. When I saw that it wasn't, the manager was nasty and rude - repeatedly saying that I had the "option" of opposing the charge. I have always liked Marriott hotels, but will avoid them like the plague in the future. Read your bill and look for hidden charges.

1 Thank E L