“Despite the charm of the old tower I don't plan to return”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #103 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Despite the charm of the old tower I don't plan to return”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

It has already been said but I will say it again, this hotel is huge and a such there is always something going on. During our 4 night stay we started out encountering business professionals at a conference and ended our stay dodging young adults in town for some Comic-Con type event. Our room was in the old tower, or historical part of the hotel, and while it was nice being away from the action, it sometime felt like a hike getting back there. The rooms are smaller, more European boutique style than typical rooms in the US. They were also in need of repair/cleaning. There was wallpaper peeling in several areas of the room and bathroom, the closet smelled musty, and the windows and blinds were in desperate need of a good dusting. If you aren't out of your room by 9am, be prepared to call housekeeping, because they won't clean your room that day. The hotel is thisclose to a metro stop and within walking distance of plenty of restaurants that cover every thing from fast food, to pub food, to Chinese. We've stayed at plenty of Marriott's but don't plan to return to this one. The older rooms would be great if they were given the attention they deserve.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Jim R, Resident Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear DCMrsg,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to share your experience regarding your stay at the Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I am very sorry to hear that your room was below our standards. It appears as though you stayed in our Wardman Tower, which is the oldest tower at the property. I do want to let you know that all of your concerns will be addressed in an upcoming renovation that begins this fall. We are very pleased that the rooms in this tower will be renovated and ready for guests in the spring of 2014.

Best regards,
Jim Redington

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

The Wardman Park is a grand landmark hotel but is a bit dissapointing. The "new" tower is just like any other Marriott on the planet, the "old" part of the hotel is charming. The rooms will be smaller because that is the way they built hotels in the early/mid 1900's. The staff was gracious and helpful. The pool was well used and they didn't have enough loungers or chairs for everyone. The main dining room was closed on Saturday night which was frustrating. The only thing open in the hotel was a fast food type pub restaurant.
The property was clean but I was surprised at the wear and tear this hotel had - needs an upgrade.

Room Tip: the old tower or original part of the hotel is charming, unless you want a large room, then go for t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Celtic_Traveler-M,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to share your experience regarding your stay at the Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I am very sorry to hear that your room was below our standards. Wardman Tower, as you noted, is the historic tower at the property. I do want to let you know that all of your concerns will be addressed in an upcoming renovation that begins this fall. I am also pleased to inform you that over the next 18 months there will be significant physical work at the property to improve our guest’s experience throughout the hotel. I am also sorry to hear that all of our food and beverage outlets were not available for you to experience during your stay.

Respectfully,
Oberlin, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel was in a quiet neighborhood steps away from the metro red line and Rock Creek Park. Everyone at this large convention hotel was very friendly and helpful. We were thoughtfully placed in a location away from the youthful group that was meeting at the hotel for the weekend we were there. The room was clean and spacious. We didn't use any of the other hotel facilities so I can't comment on those. No complaints at all!

Room Tip: We appreciated being in the Center Tower and on the top floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Albany, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed here in conjunction with a 5,000 person conference. Even with that many people present, the conference facilities were so lavish that the public areas never felt overcrowded. We arrived at a busy check-in time, with two large suitcases and 4 garment bags, but the bell staff had no difficulty accommodating us promptly. The front desk staff person was very helpful, as well; since we're a trifle older than most of the attendees we asked if we could have a room in a quieter part of the hotel, and she fixed us up with a lovely room away from the hubbub. The breakfast buffet was lavish, though also quite pricey. Still, they offered all of the things we enjoy most, and the buffet cost was less than a la carte would have been.
The Irish pub was fairly nice for dinner (the main dining room was closed for a private function), but had a fairly limited menu which one would tire of within a couple of days. A lovely French restaurant is only a block away (and had an unusually moderately priced wine list, given the usual restaurant markups), along with many others of a wide variety of cuisines in the same restaurant strip.
We appreciated the fridge in the room, and the Marriott line of bath products was, as always, very nice -- pleasantly scented, but not heavily floral.
Valet parking (also self-parking) was quite expensive; even worse that Boston!

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed five days and four nights in this Woodley Park/Zoo location for my CFE course exam. The hotel was extermely clean and and the hospitality was great. The hotel offers several restaurant options, a gym, swimming pool and Fed Ex on its campus. The hotel is also within walking distance of Connecticut Ave where there are several restaurants, stores, the Zoo and the metro. It's in a great location in DC.

1 Thank Shaquetta C
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed this past weekend and it was a pretty typical Marriott. The room was fine, the beds comfy, and the front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. The location was great near the Metro and inexpensive restaurants were along the street next to the hotel. I was surprised to find a fridge in the room, it was great bonus and enabled us to have more food/snack options.

There were some issues however. I don't think of myself as a very fussy guest, I don't ask for anything beyond the basics and rarely have had to contact the hotel staff when I travel. This weekend was an exception. First, the remote for the TV didn't work. When I was getting ready the first morning, I realized we didn't have shampoo in the bathroom (all other toiletries were present just not the shampoo). Housekeeping barely serviced the room - someone definitely came in and emptied the bathroom trash and left some fresh towels but the beds were left unmade, the room trashcan full, and the coffee/tea area wasn't refilled. All these things were fixed relatively quickly with (multiple) calls down to the front desk but it was annoying to have to ask for the basics services I would expect from a hotel of this level.

Some other issues were with the room itself that can't be fixed by a quick call downstairs. The walls were thin so we could hear our neighbors. There was something going on with the pipes because anytime our neighbors flushed their toilet or used their shower, our toilet would run (and it was noisy!). Our toilet was running pretty much all weekend. Also the layout of the center tower put most of the rooms far away from the elevators. There were 8 elevators next to each other but the guest rooms fanned out in 3 hallways away from the elevators - just poor design when the building was constructed. Our room was about as far from the elevators as it could be which was disappointing since I always request to be close to the elevators through my Marriott Rewards profile.

Overall, it wasn't the best experience but wasn't the worst either. I'm willing to give the hotel staff the benefit of the doubt that they were off their A-game due to a busy weekend. I would give this hotel another chance if the price was right.

Room Tip: Request a room near the elevators.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear phillyjolie,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to share your experience regarding your stay at the Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I am very sorry to hear that we fell short of our standards and your expectations in the service that you were provided. I have reviewed each and every one of your concerns with the leadership team at the hotel. If you have time, I would like to personally speak with you regarding your stay. If you have the ability to do so and would like to discuss your concerns further please contact me at 202.328.2000. Again, my sincerest apologies for not delivering you a better experience.

Respectfully,
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

We were greeted by a very very nice gentlemen upon our arrival, who even let us check in early so we could get a start on sight seeing. I loved the hotel structure and beautiful rooms. Rooms were very clean. It was the perfect location to hop on the metro and get to all the places we wanted to see during our stay.

My only two complaints about the place were the noise level in the rooms. Above us and next to us were quite loud. My second was the concierge. He was chatting on the phone with a friend while three of us were waiting in line to talk to him and seem very annoyed that he had to get off.

Love to give a huge shout out to bartender Nick in Harry's Pub. Fantastic guy, real pleasure to talk to and great suggestions on places to go and eat. We didn't even go out the second night in town and just went back to Harry's to hangout with him again.

I really did enjoy my stay here and would definitely consider it again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple