“Great Hotel”

Ranked #103 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Birmingham, Alabama
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

I really enjoyed staying here. The rooms were super nice, and the amenities were great. The staff was very helpful and attentive. Ordered room service, and the food was excellent! The only drawback was that they didn't have an airport shuttle, so we had to take a cab to the airport.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

The Marriott Wardman Park Hotel is situated in a quiet yet active location in DC. Only minutes from the Mall and the frantic day to day of DC yet in a quiet neighborhood with ample restaurants, zoo, the National Cathedral and other areas all in close proximity. The hotel offers great service and awesome rooms. The conference area is spread out to accommodate a large amount of people.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

This hotel is big but charming with a beautiful large lobby and nice rooms. The rooms are very clean and a good size, the food is good and service was excellent. The hotel grounds are covered with mature trees and beautiful landscaping. The location is perfect for walking to great food and shops close by and a little sight seeing. I recommend the Lebanese place. My room had a great view of the Washington Monument. No complaints about this one.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Brooklyn, New York, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

To preface this, my BF and I stood here during the last week of December 2012, and didn't get around to writing this review until now. So things might have changed since then. I have always stayed in the Omni hotel across the street in the past.

We booked through Priceline, and arrived late, around 12:30am. The front desk staff was fairly friendly. I requested a quiet room as I tend to be a light sleeper. We ended up in the main building on the 2nd floor, in room 2004 I believe. This was right by the elevators. Room was very nice, not much of a view, but we weren't concerned about that. We were hearing some noises that we thought might have been the elevators. Some kind of whirring sound.

Around 4am the room started shaking, I mean shaking as in I thought there was an earthquake. This happened twice within 10 minutes. The 2nd time it woke up my BF (who can sleep through a tornado) and we both had no idea what was happening. I remarked between the whirring and the shaking there was no way in hell I was staying in the room for a 2nd night. (We booked for 4 nights). In the morning before leaving we decided to request a room change at the front desk.

Well this was the week between Christmas and New Years, so the hotel was short staffed. We waited on line a good 25 minutes before the one person working the desk could move us. To give credit, she was helpful, and just as perplexed as we were about why our room was shaking in the middle of the night. The only logical conclusion I drew up later was maybe it was a ghost.

She moved us to a room on the 6th floor in the main building, 6054 I think. This room was much better and very quiet despite being near the soda machine. That was another thing. Some of the soda machines didn't work. I had fun the first night going from floor to floor until I found one that worked.

The concierge ended up being nowhere to be found when my BF went looking for him on the 10th floor. (My BF is a hotel concierge himself, so he found this to be very odd). So we relied on our own devices on places to go and getting around which luckily is not difficult. Woodley Metro is right there at the end of the block, so it is convenient. The Zoo is about a half mile north. Plenty of places to eat close by as well, including a few great Indian places.

Upon leaving, we needed our bags held as check out was noon but our bus was not leaving until 6pm. Again we ended up waiting about 15 minutes for the bellhop to come out and check our bags to hold. On top of this he didn't seem to understand our requests, and just kind of grunted, took our bags, handed us a ticket and walked away.

To be fair, the room was great, (except for the first night) most of the staff when we finally got to speak to them were friendly. We realize we came during a busy (or dead depending on how you view it) week and this is mainly a conference hotel. The location can't be beat even with the uphill walk from the street to the entrance. I find this area better to be away from the craziness of downtown. However I would hesitate to stay here again, at least if I'm traveling to DC during the same time of year.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building, from what I understand these are the most updated.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Janna G
West Palm Beach
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

No pause or stop movies, so I missed a lot of my movie. Yes they comped it but that's not the point

No notice that room service is closed Sunday - Tuesday, my entire stay. I was already in my pjs when I had to dress again to go downstairs to the bar. I asked someone else and they claimed it was closed for Several days.

Maids knock when it says "do not disturb"

Dishes were left in the hallway for over 24 hours. I called twice and 2nd time they were finally removed

Says wifi available - it's not in the rooms - only the lobby. Rooms have a wired service for a fee which doesn't work on apple iPads

Website also says hair salon is here - it's not

This is nothing like a regular Marriot. Avoid in the future.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank EmilyCaprice

Travelers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Woodley Metro is within walking distance. And being on the red line takes you into DC without manystops nor transfers. The Zoo is a nice walk up. Love the older part of the hotel. It was charm and is fairly well keep considering the age of the building. The only complaint is parking. Never moved my car during the 3 day stay, but still had to pay the $36 a day for self parking... Plus the garage nearest my tower was full so I had to park on the far end (15 minute walk thru the main lobby and back up). Other than that, I would stay again.

• Stayed August 2013
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Nice room, comfy bed, nice touches in the room. Many wonderful staff members, unfortunately enough who give poor service that it bears mentioning. As a convention hotel, I wouldn't recommend it. The rooms we were in were extremely poorly lit and had a dingy, cheap hotel kind of feeling. Cell phone service non-existent on the lower level. Convention amenities are not up to usual expectations. Meals are expensive, but some were quite excellent. Not a good cup of coffee to be found. It is close to several restaurants, so you can pop out for a great meal. It is very close to a Metro stop as well, which is great.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business