To preface this, my BF and I stood here during the last week of December 2012, and didn't get around to writing this review until now. So things might have changed since then. I have always stayed in the Omni hotel across the street in the past.
We booked through Priceline, and arrived late, around 12:30am. The front desk staff was fairly friendly. I requested a quiet room as I tend to be a light sleeper. We ended up in the main building on the 2nd floor, in room 2004 I believe. This was right by the elevators. Room was very nice, not much of a view, but we weren't concerned about that. We were hearing some noises that we thought might have been the elevators. Some kind of whirring sound.
Around 4am the room started shaking, I mean shaking as in I thought there was an earthquake. This happened twice within 10 minutes. The 2nd time it woke up my BF (who can sleep through a tornado) and we both had no idea what was happening. I remarked between the whirring and the shaking there was no way in hell I was staying in the room for a 2nd night. (We booked for 4 nights). In the morning before leaving we decided to request a room change at the front desk.
Well this was the week between Christmas and New Years, so the hotel was short staffed. We waited on line a good 25 minutes before the one person working the desk could move us. To give credit, she was helpful, and just as perplexed as we were about why our room was shaking in the middle of the night. The only logical conclusion I drew up later was maybe it was a ghost.
She moved us to a room on the 6th floor in the main building, 6054 I think. This room was much better and very quiet despite being near the soda machine. That was another thing. Some of the soda machines didn't work. I had fun the first night going from floor to floor until I found one that worked.
The concierge ended up being nowhere to be found when my BF went looking for him on the 10th floor. (My BF is a hotel concierge himself, so he found this to be very odd). So we relied on our own devices on places to go and getting around which luckily is not difficult. Woodley Metro is right there at the end of the block, so it is convenient. The Zoo is about a half mile north. Plenty of places to eat close by as well, including a few great Indian places.
Upon leaving, we needed our bags held as check out was noon but our bus was not leaving until 6pm. Again we ended up waiting about 15 minutes for the bellhop to come out and check our bags to hold. On top of this he didn't seem to understand our requests, and just kind of grunted, took our bags, handed us a ticket and walked away.
To be fair, the room was great, (except for the first night) most of the staff when we finally got to speak to them were friendly. We realize we came during a busy (or dead depending on how you view it) week and this is mainly a conference hotel. The location can't be beat even with the uphill walk from the street to the entrance. I find this area better to be away from the craziness of downtown. However I would hesitate to stay here again, at least if I'm traveling to DC during the same time of year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- When you arrive at the Washington Marriott Wardman Park, you'll find a charming neighborhood in the heart of Washington, DC filled with amazing restaurants and quaint shops. Just a few steps away, you'll discover the funky stores and ethnic cuisine of Adams Morgan or the exciting night life of Dupont Circle. Head north to hear the sounds of animals coming from the National Zoo. Or venture into the hotel's natural surroundings to enjoy a quiet hike or invigorating run through Rock Creek Park. With a Metro stop just outside the doors and area airports close by, it's a premier city destination just two Metro stops from everything DC has to offer. We believe that brilliant meetings begin with brilliant space and offer an astounding 195,000 square feet of versatile space that can be customized for groups of all sizes. It's an unmatched place to meet where accommodating venues and equally helpful planners can bring any groups unique ideas to life. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and HotelsforEveryone so you can book your Washington Marriott Wardman Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel Washington Dc
- Marriott Wardman Park Hotel
- Marriott Washington Dc
- Washington Dc Marriott