“Decent stay but not without glitches...or possible ghosts?” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Washington Marriott Wardman Park

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #101 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Brooklyn, New York, United States
“Decent stay but not without glitches...or possible ghosts?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

To preface this, my BF and I stood here during the last week of December 2012, and didn't get around to writing this review until now. So things might have changed since then. I have always stayed in the Omni hotel across the street in the past.

We booked through Priceline, and arrived late, around 12:30am. The front desk staff was fairly friendly. I requested a quiet room as I tend to be a light sleeper. We ended up in the main building on the 2nd floor, in room 2004 I believe. This was right by the elevators. Room was very nice, not much of a view, but we weren't concerned about that. We were hearing some noises that we thought might have been the elevators. Some kind of whirring sound.

Around 4am the room started shaking, I mean shaking as in I thought there was an earthquake. This happened twice within 10 minutes. The 2nd time it woke up my BF (who can sleep through a tornado) and we both had no idea what was happening. I remarked between the whirring and the shaking there was no way in hell I was staying in the room for a 2nd night. (We booked for 4 nights). In the morning before leaving we decided to request a room change at the front desk.

Well this was the week between Christmas and New Years, so the hotel was short staffed. We waited on line a good 25 minutes before the one person working the desk could move us. To give credit, she was helpful, and just as perplexed as we were about why our room was shaking in the middle of the night. The only logical conclusion I drew up later was maybe it was a ghost.

She moved us to a room on the 6th floor in the main building, 6054 I think. This room was much better and very quiet despite being near the soda machine. That was another thing. Some of the soda machines didn't work. I had fun the first night going from floor to floor until I found one that worked.

The concierge ended up being nowhere to be found when my BF went looking for him on the 10th floor. (My BF is a hotel concierge himself, so he found this to be very odd). So we relied on our own devices on places to go and getting around which luckily is not difficult. Woodley Metro is right there at the end of the block, so it is convenient. The Zoo is about a half mile north. Plenty of places to eat close by as well, including a few great Indian places.

Upon leaving, we needed our bags held as check out was noon but our bus was not leaving until 6pm. Again we ended up waiting about 15 minutes for the bellhop to come out and check our bags to hold. On top of this he didn't seem to understand our requests, and just kind of grunted, took our bags, handed us a ticket and walked away.

To be fair, the room was great, (except for the first night) most of the staff when we finally got to speak to them were friendly. We realize we came during a busy (or dead depending on how you view it) week and this is mainly a conference hotel. The location can't be beat even with the uphill walk from the street to the entrance. I find this area better to be away from the craziness of downtown. However I would hesitate to stay here again, at least if I'm traveling to DC during the same time of year.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building, from what I understand these are the most updated.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Janna G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
West Palm Beach
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

No pause or stop movies, so I missed a lot of my movie. Yes they comped it but that's not the point

No notice that room service is closed Sunday - Tuesday, my entire stay. I was already in my pjs when I had to dress again to go downstairs to the bar. I asked someone else and they claimed it was closed for Several days.

Maids knock when it says "do not disturb"

Dishes were left in the hallway for over 24 hours. I called twice and 2nd time they were finally removed

Says wifi available - it's not in the rooms - only the lobby. Rooms have a wired service for a fee which doesn't work on apple iPads

Website also says hair salon is here - it's not

This is nothing like a regular Marriot. Avoid in the future.

2 Thank EmilyCaprice

Travelers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Woodley Metro is within walking distance. And being on the red line takes you into DC without manystops nor transfers. The Zoo is a nice walk up. Love the older part of the hotel. It was charm and is fairly well keep considering the age of the building. The only complaint is parking. Never moved my car during the 3 day stay, but still had to pay the $36 a day for self parking... Plus the garage nearest my tower was full so I had to park on the far end (15 minute walk thru the main lobby and back up). Other than that, I would stay again.

Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Nice room, comfy bed, nice touches in the room. Many wonderful staff members, unfortunately enough who give poor service that it bears mentioning. As a convention hotel, I wouldn't recommend it. The rooms we were in were extremely poorly lit and had a dingy, cheap hotel kind of feeling. Cell phone service non-existent on the lower level. Convention amenities are not up to usual expectations. Meals are expensive, but some were quite excellent. Not a good cup of coffee to be found. It is close to several restaurants, so you can pop out for a great meal. It is very close to a Metro stop as well, which is great.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Laurely282
albertson
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely not Marriott quality for the acceptation of the unbelievable location. Seconds from the Metro, resturants and the zoo this hotels is a campus. You walk endlessly to your room, and the amount of people is unbelievable. Groups of hundreds of people, and very loud. They have numerous ballrooms and conference rooms, not at all a quite hotel. The pool is out of order in the month of AUGUST which they've forgotten to mention :(

3 Thank Travel_secrets55
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

This was a special on groupon. So for 110 per night 5 of us had a place to sleep. The hotel is very convenient to the zoo and the zoo metro station is right there on the corner.
The pricing of the room did not include wifi ($13.00 per day!) or parking ($37.00 per day!!) These extras were not clearly explained before we bought the room but, despite the additional costs it was still an acceptable deal. If we had paid the full $250-$325 per night I'd feel taken.
The beds are firm but comfortable. The room is reasonably spacious. 2 adults and 3 teenagers were not constantly rubbing elbows.
Given the plush lobby and appearance of the hotel I'd expect less a la carte expenses but overall I'm pleased.

1 Thank Lekimoppilifnas
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

I've stayed in worse places with better service, but the reason for my rating was mostly for the service. I checked in at about 4pm, the front desk told me they had a room but it was on the 1st floor. Fine, not what I was hoping for, but if you have a room for me I'll take it. I was just there for the night, how bad could it be? I quickly got to my room, changed and went to the gym. Upon first look, spacious room (weird hallway because it was on the 1st floor) and looked right over the drive so I had to keep curtains closed when changing, but not bad.

Got to the gym, and was surprised how much equipment they had. But there was a lot of movement in the gym and no staff to clean up or keep things tidy. One of two water coolers was almost empty and the second was just about there. You could tell some of the equipment was dirty from other people using it, and there was no sanitary wipes to clean it off before using it. Gross. Finished the gym and went back to my room.

Here's where my stay got interesting. I jumped in the shower and water from the shower head sprayed EVERYWHERE, all over the ceiling, going over the shower curtain to get everything in the bathroom wet. After adjusting the shower head, I realized it was only about 5ft tall.... I'm not a tall person, but that was pretty awkward.

After the shower, I decided I would rather move than take another shower in the morning. So I called the operator and asked for the front desk. And the phone just kept ringing. Someone answered, I explained my problem, then she said she would transfer me to the front desk... what just happened? I thought I was already transferred but it went back to the operator when no one answered. Ring ring ring.... back to the operator AGAIN. Transferred back to front desk for a third time when I got someone!! The lady understood my problem, was sympathetic for a good 2 seconds, then when I asked to move, she asked me to hold and transferred me. Not only did she transfer me, but she transferred me to the voicemail of the rooms controller. So, instead of waiting another 5-10 minutes for a front desk person, I left a voicemail. Left my cell phone number as I was leaving for meetings and dinner. To this day, I haven't received a call. And the shower head is probably still broken and spouting water everywhere. Maybe it was just my room and my luck, but I felt like they were understaffed and those that were there didn't care. I wouldn't recommend this place when there are lots of other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor and one with a regular shower.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business