“What an upgrade!”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #102 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
“What an upgrade!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

I had reserved two rooms for a conference I was attending--one for me & my daughter and one for my parents (dad's 75th). At check in, we were upgraded to a presidential suite---what a wonderful suprise for this special occasion! We had two king bedrooms, each with a bath, as well as a living room, separated dining room & kitchen. Now, it did have a historic feel to it, but in a well-maintained & chaing way. a bit of a bummer that the baby grand piano (no kidding) was out of tune, but who can complain. It's a good conference venue, and located within walking distance to good, inexpensive restaurants, as well a the zoo. We had a very memorable stay.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Rollindowntheroad
Jim R, Resident Manger at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Rollindowntheroad,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to share your recent experience regarding the Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. I am delighted to read that our staff did everything they could to ensure a memorable experience for your father's 75th birthday. I will be sure to share your story with our team members.

Respectfully,
Jim Redington

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Ormskirk
Reviewed June 25, 2013

The hotel itself was beautiful and we could not fault our room. it was excellent. The hotel is close to the tube which in just 3 stops takes you to the Metro where you are about a 10 minute walk to the White House. We like to walk so made our own way to the Smithsonian museums, Capitol Building, World War 2 Memorial, Lincoln Memorial and Arlington Cemetery. At the Cemetery you can see the grave of JFK and the tomb of the unknown soldier was a sight to behold.
The Spy museum is well worth a visit too.
We searched for a hotel with no car parking charges, and this was one that did not have details of a charge. However, on arrival and once we had been shown where to park, we discovered there was a $36 per night car parking charge. We dont like hidden charges and dont agree with paying to park somewhere that you have already paid to stay. After a lengthy discussion with the on duty Manager, he agreed to waive one night fee. It is only $38 to park in the City Centre with no train charges.
Had a nice taxi ride back to the hotel on the first day, which cost the same price as for the train.

Room Tip: we were on 8th floor which was lovely and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Angela D
Jim R, Resident Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Angela D.,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience regarding your stay at the Wardman Park Marriott Hotel. I am delighted to hear about your positive experiences at the property and adventure to all the great sites that Washington, DC has to offer. I am sorry to hear that the parking charges at the hotel were a surprise upon arrival. I have reviewed all of our on-line advertising to ensure that the parking rate is noted.

Respectfully,
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I wasn't expecting much as I've been here before for conferences but never stayed here. Fiona was great at check-in and recommended the room that had me on a high floor with a great view of the city. I had requested a king bed but only got 2 doubles. She couldn't located a better room so I stuck with what she recommended. Looking back, I should have requested a king and gone without the view. Besides the view, the room had a fridge which was nice since there's a CVS a block away to stock up without paying the hotel prices.

I was in the central town which I guess is the "newer" part. I've heard both arguments for either staying in the older Wardman tower or the newer towers. Next time, I'd stay someplace else. The room in the central town was small for DC standards. The bathroom so incredibly small that I couldn't extend my arms all the way in the room. There are plenty of better places in DC along the Metro with much larger rooms and would cost just as much.

If I have to be positive, then the location of the hotel is decent. It's right next to the Metro and there's plenty of shops and restaurants next doors. And Rock Creek Park is just a few blocks away if you want to get out and enjoy some scenery or exercise. On site, the gym is one of the nicer hotel gyms I've use. Great variety of equipment and nice free weight and stretching areas.

Like I said in the title, the core part of the hotel just doesn't cut it anymore. It's time to knock it down and start over. That's probably why my conference is moving to National Harbor in 2014.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Zack1520
Dear Zach1520,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to share your recent experience about the Wardman Park Marriott Hotel. I am very sorry to read that our room size did not meet your expectations. Being the largest and one of the most historic properties in Washington, DC we do have many different room types and sizes. I am sorry that your assigned room did not meet your needs, but our standard rooms do follow industry designs and sizes.

Regards,
Toronto
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I used Priceline to book this property. We only spent the one night but it was beautiful building. The rooms were clean as expected. We didn't eat there for breakfast. When we checked out we asked if we could leave our in the garage for for a few hours. The subway is very close and we wanted to leave it there, go see the white house and some of the monuments, and then come back for it. It was great stay.

Room Tip: Don't feel you have to use the valet. You can park under ground and they provide a safe walkway...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank martymcflythedj416
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for three days while attending a conference. I debated between three and four stars on this hotel, but decided on three because of the lack of value for the money.

PROS:
The room (double bed in the center tower) was fairly clean and quiet. The grounds (especially around the pool and Wardman Tower) were well manicured and featured plenty of seating and lots of beautiful flowers. The conference rooms were spacious, well lit, and well marked (the conference center at this hotel is quite massive). The hotel is located within walking distance of the National Zoo, the Woodley Park Metro Station, and several nice restaurants. There was also a cafe/coffee shop in the hotel that had good coffee and a decent selection of pastries, sandwiches, etc. for breakfast.

CONS:
I got the feeling this hotel catered to people traveling for business (myself included), and as such everything was way overpriced (since it is assumed the employer/client are picking up the bill). I had a conference rate room (which was still around $300 a night) and it was nothing to brag about. The room and bathroom were fairly small, and the bathroom was in need of some updates (or at least a new bathtub - there were cracks on the tub and the grout around the tub was looking a little grimy). For $300 a night I also had a rather disappointing view of the roof and an air conditioner. Self-parking was a whopping $36 a night, and wi-fi access was $12 a night. (This is my personal soap box, but I feel wi-fi should be treated like electricity - it should be included in the price of the room.)

Overall, the hotel was decent and conveniently located, but if returning to DC for a personal trip, I believe I could find better value for my money elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank MMD523
Minnesota
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This hotel is huge. I only stayed here one night, but it was very comfortable. The rooms are spacious with great beds and linens. The bathrooms are large with good lighting. I had breakfast in the hotel and my omelette was delicious. It is very big and a bit of a hike depending on what area of the hotel you are staying in. The parking is expensive, but that's to be expected in D.C. It's not in the tourist area of D.C., so you will need to take the metro to get to any sights. All in all, nice hotel with clean, comfortable rooms.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Short stay early June - family member had moved to that part of D.C. Impressive appearance, outside and in, but massive construction site right next door does detract from ambiance. Routine staff appropriately behaved, but made no requests other than to ask Concierge if safe to walk in neighborhood in late evening. Apparently we were put in older part of hotel. Room decent size and looked good - though dated, bed reasonable, but bathroom small; surprised no shaving/make-up mirror in such an expensive room. Also needs a full-length mirror somewhere. Real disappointments were very, very slow wi-fi and also atrocious cable TV that had a poor quality analog signal and a very limited selection of channels - unlike any other Marriott we've ever seen. Very annoying when trying to relax at the end of a long busy day out with family. Did not use dining or convention facilities, which sound from other reviews like positive aspects of this property.

Room Tip: Ask if any updates to more modern amenties have been done.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple