“Very nice hotel.”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #106 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is a very nice place to stay. The staff were very friendly and very helpful. It is also conveniently near the metro. I attended for a conference a d the food was also very good. I recommend this to anyone. One drawback is it is not close to any memorial. Since the metro is close it is t that big of deal.

• Stayed: September 2012
WardmanPark, General Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Kmdavignon,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Marriott Wardman Park hotel on TripAdvisor. We take pleasure in providing our guests the convenience of being located right next to the Woodley Park-Zoo/Adams Morgan metro stop. We hope your next stay will be even better.

Dan Nadeau

Write a ReviewReviews (2,646)

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed for a recent Convention and was overly impressed with how friendly the front desk staff were along with the maid and room service employees. The hotel is beautiful, clean and has everything you need to a comfortable stay! There was always ample amount of taxis available and their bar was great also. I would for sure stay again!

Dear Amber197925,

I am thrilled to hear of your wonderful stay at the Marriott Wardman Park. Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. I will make sure to let our staff know of your positive comments. We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Good location for the zoo. Room was very dusty when I checked in and no pen or note pad, had to write a review on the maid card to fix. Don't expect a tip if I can write my name on the table top. Took too long to be feather free even though it is on my profile no feathers. Service in the bar was great. Had the lentil bean chili at Harry's pub excellent! Concierge Lounge is always busy. You have to beg for a club soda as they treat them like gold in the lounge and don't put them in the fridge, what is with that! Good Internet coverage which is a plus

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Mammo64
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed here 3 nights for a conference in mid-September. I had been here a few times through the years, and generally recalled the hotel favorably, but this time everything really worked for me. Obviously this is a huge property, but it didn’t feel like one - I didn’t experience any inconvenience on that account, as it seemed that sufficient staff for all functions were on duty. I experienced no waiting time for check-in or check-out, or on a couple of occasions when I had to ask a question at the front desk. All staff I encountered was uniformly friendly and helpful. I ate at two of the hotel restaurants, plus a couple of lighter meals at the Woodley Market – everything fine. Internet connection in the room was very good. Housekeeping cleaned my room early and efficiently each morning. Despite obviously not being a new property, my room was well renovated, with clean and bright carpet. Continental breakfast and snacks provided for the conference were excellent and service was good. And one would think a minor point, but one that can make a difference: the Central Tower elevators are about the best I can recall in such a hotel. Having stayed in a few hotels this year where it took me 5 minutes several times a day to get up or down, the elevators seemed always instantly available, even at morning and evening rush times. One minor point: rooms were probably not well sound-proofed, as a few times I could hear conversations nearby, but this did not cause me any problems on this trip. Rarely would I give high ratings to high-priced city hotels, as I figure the standards should be pretty high, but this time everything worked like a charm for me.

Dear pajo1,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Marriott Wardman Park. We always take pleasure in knowing when our staff and services are exceeding our guests expectations. We look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I must first preface this review with the fact that my husband's employer paid for our stay in this hotel. That said, even with the corporate discount, our standard room was terribly overpriced. Granted, the hotel itself is quite stately, complete with ball rooms, corporate facilities, a pool and fitness center, several restaurants and a concierge service, not to mention immaculate grounds; but, there was certainly a disconnect between these amenities and our small room with its two double beds.
With respect to cleanliness and service, the hotel was impeccable, and we definitely slept well each night. We also appreciated the fact that the Woodley Park - Zoo/Adams Morgan Metro station is directly across the street from the hotel. That was VERY convenient. Still, unless price is not an issue for you, or you are specifically looking for a hotel in this area, I would suggest looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't select the standard room unless you want two double beds.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear jayluvsu,

I genuinely appreciate your feedback on our hotel and am glad to hear you enjoyed the convenience, cleanliness and service we provide. We take all of our reviews into consideration when looking for ways to improve and offer more value for our guests. We hope that you will return to Marriott Wardman Park on your next visit to D.C.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

The bad news: The maid removed hand towels from our room one day and did not replace them. I had to call twice and stay up later than I wanted to until they were replaced around 10 pm. More bad news: The bill under my door at checkout said a final bill would be emailed to me, but all that was automatically emailed was a survey. I had to argue with the hotel to get it to fulfill the promise it had voluntarily made.
Perhaps it's typical of the area, but a room in this hotel is very pricey, and it is somewhat insulting to add $34/day to park and $13/day for in-room internet (which I did not buy but understand from others was not very good). Our room was pleasant enough.
Good news: Unlike some convention hotels, there are a number of reasonably priced restaurants within a block or two of this hotel. The metro station is also quite convenient.
The reservation clerk was very helpful, especially when I originally reserved by accident for the wrong dates and had to make a change.
This was one of the better convention hotels I've seen in terms of finding my way around without having to walk exorbitant distances or get lost in a maze.
I think this was a Sheraton the last time I stayed there, and the signage then was so miniscule that it took me quite a while to even find the hotel. The signage now is much better.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
WardmanPark, General Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

Dear 094STR,

Thank you for taking the time to review Marriott Wardman Park. I apologize that your first visit with us did not meet your expectations. I invite you to choose our hotel for your future stay in Washington D.C. so that our staff may provide to you the outstanding customer service for which the Marriott Brand prides itself upon.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

I have now stayed at this hotel a couple of times (once via a discounted rate on their own site, another time via a 3rd party "negotiator" feature) and can honestly say that, while a good hotel at a very nice location, this hotel has some definite drawbacks and it's maybe too big for its own good.
PROS
- bed: great mattress! I have a hard time with hotel beds, they're always too soft, Marriott did alright by me on this one;
- location: a short walk from the Metro station (more on that below), you can even walk down to the White House in about 40 mins - if you like to walk. It's situated in one of the most beautiful areas in DC (Woodley Park), and the Zoo is a short walk away;
- fitness center: well-equipped, and they have a sauna (although it is never hot enough, and you do need to soak in there for 30 mins to work up a sweat);
outdoor pool: clean and a decent size, they actually reserve a lane for laps.
CONS
- the walking entrance from the Metro is actually a ramp that is used by delivery vehicles, buses and cabs. It only has one sidewalk to one side, which is too narrow for the foot traffic when the hotel is busy, creating a safety hazard;
- the hotel is too big, and beware if they place you on what they call "the Park Tower", a wing that is basically an addition to their parking garage, and you can smell exhaust smoke all the way into the hallways. I didn't smell it inside my room, but wouldn't be surprised if guests are breathing car fumes all night.
- your room may end up being a loooong walk away;
- no indoor pool for those long winter months;
- miserly: no free in-room wifi, which is really tacky from any 4-star hotel and always gets one star less from me. They're also stingy with their towels and supplies (no mouthwash unless you request - or steal from a parked housekeeping cart);
- and last but not least, their "business center" is actually a franchise operated by a third-party for profit enterprise, further evidence of their stinginess. I had to pay in order to get on the web to retrieve and print a document (had to pay separately to print it too) which is just unacceptable on a hotel that charges $300 plus a day. I've stayed in much cheaper, less ritzy hotels where all you had to do was to send your document from your free-wi-fi room to a printer downstairs, retrieve it with a code, and voila! FREE PRINTING.

Overall if you can take advantage of one of their discount rates, or via a price negotiating tool at a third-party site, not a bad place to stay. The area is just beautiful, as I said, Open City Cafe just down the block has a limited but excellent menu (and if you like crap there's a Mc Dee right across the street). At their busy season full rate this hotel is not such a good deal, imo.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the "Park Tower"
1  Thank bittentwice

Dear bittentwice,

We appreciate the feedback you’ve given us from your past stay. We use comments such as yours as an opportunity to grow and perfect the services that we provide. We are genuinely grateful for your remarks and hope you return to our hotel so that next time we may not only meet, but exceed your expectations.