“Location is everything for this hotel.”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #103 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Leander
“Location is everything for this hotel.”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

This was the first time I had stayed at this hotel and I must admit, it was a bit overpriced, however since my company paid for the stay, I will not complain too much. The LOCATION IS GREAT; it is within walking distance to the National Zoo, subway train, and several eateries. The hotel itself has several good mid-price restaurants including the Pub which is open late and had pretty good food. Conference facilities are well kept and spacious, especially the main ballroom/conference room. Overall, it was a good stay with the best thing going for this hotel being it's location.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank DrVicProf
WardmanPark, General Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Dear DrVicProf,

Thank you writing a review for the Marriott Wardman Park. Our proximity to the National Zoo and the down town area does attract many of our guests. We hope that you enjoyed spending time with us for your conference and look forward to your return.

Safe Travels,
Dan Nadeau

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed November 6, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for four nights for the ASDS meeting [Room 1321] and were very pleased. Nice big quiet room with a big bright bay window, lots of space to spread out, and a little undeveloped room off the bathroom which could be handy as extra storage [like a walk in closet] for those travelling with lots of stuff. The 1321 has the advantage that it is on the ground floor -- had to walk up half a dozen steps to get to the room, which was not a problem for us but might be for someone else.

The hotel is an easy walk to lots of fine local restaurants including the Open City cafe [where many of us went for breakfast] and Petit Plats [very nice for a quiet relaxed dinner].

The Metro has one access point on the edge of the Marriott property [just for the heck of it we rode the Metro in from Reagan National Airport, it was quick, cheap and easy.] The Metro was a handy way to get to other parts of DC during the day for my wife.

Nice staff, excellent meeting services. Front desk has rather poor acoustics [noisy place, too much marble] so it is hard for the check in staff to hear us, and for us to hear them; makes their job harder. Marriott should make the front desk a quieter place, maybe with carpet, fabric wall coverings etc.

Room Tip: 1321 was good for us, as outlined above. Pull back the drapes during the day and let the wonderful l...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear ksmithderm,

Thank you for writing a great review of the Marriott Wardman Park. All of the staff had a wonderful time ensuring the success of the ASDS group. I am glad that we exceeded your expectations for your entire stay. Please keep us in mind for future visits.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I had a great stay here at the Wardman hotel. My room was clean and spacious. The hotel was close to the metro, and the zoo. The grounds were kept clean and beautiful. I totally recommend this place.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Dear TravelerAustin_11,

Thank you for staying at the Marriott Wardman Park and writing a great review about the hotel. Our grounds team works very to maintain the beautiful gardens that many guest come to view. We are eagerly awaiting your return.

Indianapolis
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I admit I was traumatized by reading previous reviews about bed bugs, but was going to a conference at the hotel and it would be more convenient to stay there. I followed the TA advice, and pulled sheets and mattress cover as soon as I entered the room to check. To my relief, none of the tell tale signs were there. For my entire stay, the room was kept clean, I was undisturbed by noise, and the room service food was decent - but not great. My chief complaint was that the wireless was virtually inaccessible and not stable even when it could be accessed. I had to use my phone as a hotspot to work on my laptop.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear foodwinethee ,

Thank you for providing great feedback about the Marriott Wardman Park. I do apologize that our internet service was unable to work during your stay. We are glad that you enjoyed the rest of your time with us and we hope you will consider us again for future accommodations.

Safe Travels,

Arlington, VA
Reviewed November 3, 2011

I had an extended stay here for a conference and was sorely disappointed. It made me rethink entirely the reputation and standard of service at Marriotts, in general, since I've had several lackluster experiences with them all year. If this stay had not been for a meeting central to the conference, I would have immediately cancelled the reservation. This hotel has a reputation for previously having had bed bugs, and I can understand why. The room was not sufficiently cleaned the entire bed, rather then maids tidied the beds and did vacuuming. Several times they did not even empty the trash or refresh towels that had been requested. When I called the front desk with concerns about the trash and the lack of cleanliness of the bathroom, they noted that the latter was not part of the maid's contract. The room was standard, no better than a medium-tiered hotels that are less experience, but much nicer.

The hotel does have a great location. It is easily accessible to the Red Line metro, the Rock Creek Parkway (a great thoroughfare for driving, running, biking, etc.). It is right to a main street with many accessible restaurants and you can walk to the zoo if you have that type of time. The restaurant itself has many choices for food including an Irish Bar and a mini-breakfast cafe, but it's sort of like buying overpriced food at a ball park. You are better off going to a restaurant that is nearby. I ate breakfast at the delicious Open City Cafe nearby. It is also just a quick 10 minute walk across the bridge to Adams Morgan.

Room Tip: There are two towers of rooms; some are more convenient to conference meeting rooms and meal event r...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank worktotravel14
WardmanPark, General Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Dear worktotravel14,
Thank you for reviewing the Marriott Wardman Park. I am unhappy to hear that your experience at the Marriott Wardman Park did not live up to the expectation. A member of out from office management team will be contacting you shortly regarding your past stay.
Best regards,

Travelers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

Chicago, IL, USA
Reviewed November 3, 2011

This hotel is quite large. There's a good chance if you are staying here, it's for some sort of meeting or conference. I have stayed here twice, soon to be for a third time. My review is a mix of my two stays.

Location: north of downtown in the Adams Morgan area. One metro stop north of Dupont Circle. Hotel is right next to the metro which is very convenient. There are some restaurants in the immediate vicinity (recommend Lebanse Taverna), but you will need to take the metro, taxi or drive to see the sights. Not much is walking distance.

Hotel itself is quite big. As many others have noted, there are different towers to stay in. On my first stay I was in the newer tower, the rooms I found to be quite comfortable and clean. Absolutely no complaints. On my second stay, I was in the older, historic tower. While I didn't notice a huge difference in room size or decor, what I did notice was my ability to breathe clearly. The older room caused me to become extremely congested in my sinuses and I was constantly blowing my nose for the duration of my two night stay. I also noticed the air vents in the older room were quite dirty and frankly I suspected there was some mold. So if you are sensitive to air quality or have sinus or breathing problems, I would suggest staying in the newer tower if possible. I know that on my upcoming stay, I will specifically request the newer tower.

Both of my visits were for a meeting of approximately 700 people. I give great kudos to the conference staff. They were well organized and efficient. They also were quite good at setting up and breaking down rooms quickly. I found the banquet food to be perfectly fine.

Room Tip: Newer tower has better air quality in the rooms.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Dear ChicagoAlli,
Thank you for the review of the Marriott Wardman Park. Our conference staff does work very hard to insure the success of each conference. Also we are very please to hear that this will be your third time returning to the hotel. We look forward to your return.
Best Regards,
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Great location near the METRO, zoo, and nearby neighborhood restaurants.

Hotel has all the charm and design style of a imitation colonial bowling alley. Make sure you ask to see your room, and be fussy about getting a good one. For me, just before midnight after a bicoastal trip, I was not smart enough to see the room! Yikes!

Beautiful view of a mechanical equipment pit. Only loved by a roofing contactor.

Room Tip: Ask for a view other than the mechanical pit, and then make sure you see the room.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank cruzinquick
Dear cruzinquick,
We apprieciate the review of the Marriott Wardman Park. It disaapoints me to hear that we could not met your expectation with a view of the city. I will be having a member of our manament team be in contact with you about your previous stay.
Regards,