“Check Your Pillows”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #106 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Maybe it is different in what part of your hotel you stay in, but my hall was incredibly noisy. You heard every kid running up & down the hall at 11:30pm with parents that didn't care how much noise they made.
And, the foam pillows were HARD. Usually nice hotels have too soft pillows, but these were as close to rocks as I have ever tried to sleep upon. Finally got up & rolled up a towel to put up under my head. Called the next morning & they offered me feather pillows instead.
Maybe the foam was just really old, but it was really hard; and I've slept on a lot of pillows in my life. Other than that, was nice surroundings, and the best pizza I've ever eaten was at the Italian pizza pallor down the street, next to the dry cleaners. Awesome cheese. Went back twice.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank okieroper
WardmanPark, General Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2011

Dear Okieroper of Copalis Beach, Washington,
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback! I was disappointed to hear that your recent stay with our hotel was less than desirable. I apologize and I would like to hear more information on how we can make your future stays more comfortable. A member of our management team will be in contact with you personally and would appreciate any further feedback you might have.

Dan Nadeau

Write a ReviewReviews (2,646)

Reviewed June 30, 2011

My husband and I booked a night with Priceline's "name your own price" feature and our bid was picked up by the Marriott Wardman Park. I was nervous at first because I saw this whole huge story about some major GOP convention having been there in January and everyone having bedbug bites. Understandably I kind of freaked out and I contacted the management with my concerns. They replied promptly and courteously, gave me quite a bit of info on how they deal with those kinds of situations and apparently the story was rather unfounded. So we decided to give it a shot. Upon arriving at the hotel we were greeted by the extremely nice front desk staff and allowed to check in 2 hours early. Our room was neat and clean (with the exception of one old pillow which I removed from the bed). We inspected every inch of the room for bedbugs and found absolutely nothing. Everything was spotless. True, as many reviewers before have pointed out, there was no view from the room and the towels were scratchy but I wasn't there to gaze out the window and the towels were clean so I didn't care. I didn't observe any nasty attitudes from any of the hotel staff despite having read reviews about it before going. In fact, every person on staff that I dealt with was exceedingly nice and helpful.

All in all this was a great hotel. It's across from the Metro, has beautiful gardens to walk in and allows you to be in the heart of the city without feeling bombarded by traffic all the time. I would stay here again in a heart beat.

Room Tip: Eddie's Cafe chinese across the street. YUM!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear CristenK of Brooklyn,

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the effort to post your experience on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to learn that you had a wonderful stay at our hotel, and that our team was not only exceedingly nice, but helpful and courteous as well. It is always wonderful to hear feedback in order to work on constant improvements in providing a memorable and comfortable stay for our valued guests. I will certainly pass along the compliments to our team, specifically the Housekeeping, and Front Office departments.

Once again, thank you for choosing The Marriott Wardman Park and I look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Best Regards,
Dan Nadeau

Reviewed June 18, 2011

We chose to stay at the Wardman Park Marriott simply because of it's proximity to the National Zoo, but boy are we glad we did! It's a lovely hotel with great staff. We had a room in the Central Tower, which must cut down on the confusion. I had read other reviews that said it was hard to find your way around, but we had no problems. We had a room with 2 double beds, both very comfortable. The bathroom was a little small, but the room was good sized overall. Not a great view, but that's not necessary for me.

We had the buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant both mornings of our stay-fantastic! Great selection of fresh fruits, pastries, hot items, and an omelet and waffle station. Easy walk to the zoo unless it's very hot day, in which case you'll be hot at the zoo anyway. Such is summer in DC. One recommendation for the hotel would be to look into the packages available. Many include parking and breakfast, which saves a bundle. Also, if you're a Marriott Rewards member, the internet is free. It's free to sign up as a member, so why not! The only thing I'd change would be to have an indoor pool rather than outdoor, but that's personal preference. We still enjoyed it!

Room Tip: Look into available packages
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank iowakrb
Reviewed June 17, 2011

I enjoyed my stay here. The hotel is attractive and everyone was friendly.
It is close to the metro and restaurants.
The gym is great.
My only complaint is that floor of my room was not vacuumed properly. There was a receipt and other litter on the floor. Otherwise, the room was good and appeared clean.
Also, be advised that parking is $32.00, but this is the norm for big cities.
I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Stayed here for 3 days in May. Wonderful location, great staff and good room. Near metro and good restaurants. Zoo up the road. We'll be back.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ranobo77
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed here for an anniversary weekend in early June. The hotel is located somewhat outside the center of the tourist areas (monuments, Smithsonian, etc.) but all of them are very easily reachable in minutes by Metro which stops just outside the hotel. The entry to the National Zoo is just a few blocks away on foot.The neighborhood around the hotel is fairly green and quiet. There are a few blocks full of great restaurants (Lebanese, Afghan, Italian, Indian, Mediterranean, and more...). Our room in the more modern-looking part of the hotel didn't have a great view, but the room itself was very nicely appointed and comfortable. One gripe was the vending machine on our floor that didn't work, but that was a minor inconvenience. Wifi in the room was available but expensive. The housekeeping staff were very friendly and did an immaculate job. Would happily stay here again on a future visit.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SomervilleReisender
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Great location, staff, and rooms. The Woodley Park area is really nice and has good restaurants. Hotel is within walking distance to the Metro.

• Stayed: June 2011